Corsair Community

Best 2 gigs memory for MSI K8N Neo Platinum ?

Nick754

I am about to buy a new motherboard, a Socket 754 based [B]MSI K8N Neo Platinum[/B]. I would like to put 2 gigabytes of memory on this MB, but am not sure which Corsair memory modules I should use. I checked the MSI web site for compatible memory modules, but their documentation is a little old and doesn't show any tested Corsair chips that would give me this much memory. Which would be the safest memory modules for this purpose? Would the [B]Corsair TWIN2048-3200 2 X 1024MB BLACK TWINX[/B] be what I'm looking for? (I am planning on putting an AMD 3200+ CPU on this motherboard.) If I want to plan ahead and possibly put a faster CPU on this board (or overclock it) would this still be o.k., or should I use another memory modules? Thanks in advance! Nick

Thanks for the warning gbreezer80! The PDF manual for the motherboard that I downloaded from the MSI web site only mentioned that you can change the voltage, but didn't give any details. The devil is certainly in the details!!! Fortunately, I haven't placed my order yet as I'm still spec'ing out a few last items for my new system (trying to find a rackmount case with five 5.25" drive bays, at least two of which are horizontal). Ram Guy, what say you to this? Nick

A follow-up to gbreezer80... I have been browsing the [url]http://forum.msi.com.tw[/url] threads on what memory works (and doesn't) with the MSI K8N Neo Platinum Motherboard and one of the posters mentioned specifically that he was running at the following settings: [b]2.7 volts 230 fst 4 HT 1:1 @ 1T 2.5-3-3-6[/B]. Now he was talking about different memory modules (and overclocking), but it does seem that you can run this mobo's memory at 2.7 volts... or am I missing something? Nick

[url]http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=2036[/url] [url]http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review_print.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD03NzY=[/url] They state: DRAM Voltage Auto, 2.5V to 2.85V in 0.05V increments Hexus even has a screenshot of it at 2.75v. Even scanned the msi forums, and it's safe to say that the above info is correct. I don't think gbreezer80 knows what he speaks of, or at the least is misinformed.

• Corsair Employee
This is buried in the CPU white papers from AMD and I am sorry but as far as I know it's not public for some reason or at least it's not easy to find! With 2 modules you should use slots 1-3 and if you fill all three slots DDR266 or DDR333 is suggested depending on the layout! I think this is really on the MB makers to make sure they clarify this in their manual as they can deviate from the reference design and if so they might alter the spec for memory configurations!

Archived