Corsair Community

Likely Bad Ram :(

I purchased a pair of Corsair PC 4000 TwinX Pro modules in June of 2004 from Fry's.

At the time I was testing them with an Athlon XP 2600+ (unlocked pre week 43 03) on a Shuttle AN35/N 400 motherboard and could not get them past 215 FSB at any setting with 2.7 Vdimm, even highly relaxed timings did not help so figured it was just a limitation of the board and or chip and set them back to 200 Mhz.

Flash forward to Satuday March 12th with a new system being built on an Epox 9NDA3+ with an Athlon 64 3500+, the board can deliver 2.8 Vdimm but I'm still hitting the identical 215 FSB (HTT) limitation, anything over 215 will error out of Super Pi within seconds no matter the voltage to Vcore or Vdimm or even relaxing the timings beyond 3-4-4-8. Board will not post at anything above 230 Mhz so testing to 250 is impossible.

Just to ensure I wasn't completely insane after 4 days of fiddling with it to get the system beyond 215 MHz, I slipped in a pair of Corsair Value Select 512 MB modules and have been able to get them stable at 227 MHz x11 for 2497 MHz at 2.5-3-4-8, which overall beats the hell out of the PC 4000 modules.

It appears as though the modules were bad or at the very least a bit screwy from the initial purchase back in june of 2004.

Last (semi) stable recorded settings with the PC 4000 modules on the Epox 9NDA3+ is as follows:

Advanced Bios Settings

DRAM Timings

Max Mem Clock: 200 (note that this does not lock it at 200 when CPU Overclock setting is used below)

1T/2T Command Rate: 2T

CAS# 3

RAS# to CAS# Delay 4

Min RAS#: 8

RPT: 4

Fast Writes: Disabled

Power Bios

System Performance: Fastest (optimal didn't help)

CPU Overclock: 215

AGP Overclock: 66

CPU Voltage: +0.05

DIMM Voltage: 2.8

AGP Voltage: 1.7

Chipset Voltage 1.75

Misc Settings:

HTT 4x (setting to 1x provided no help)

Would appreciate any help and or an offical suggestion for RMA on these modules.

Some additional Notes on my testing:

Using Dimm slots 3/4 due to large Zalman cooler blocking the tall heatsinks on the ram, which by chance appears to be better off anyway as noted from postings at Xtreme Systems forums that overclocking in slots 1/2 is a bit flakey on the Epox 9NDA3+.

Memtest86 errors start within 2 minutes at 216 Mhz no matter the settings, at 215 MHz it takes a while but does eventually return errors.

3D Mark 2001 looping infinately will crash within 20 minutes at 216 Mhz, and within 2 hours at 215 MHz

Super Pi errors out within seconds at 216 MHz.

One other thing of note, I'm over in Sunnyvale, CA with the Corsair building being over in Fremont I could bring the modules over for testing :biggrin: .

Can you tell me the test that you are getting errors on, and do you have a Intel based system you can test the modules in?

Memtest86 is whats throwing the errors, as well as 3D Mark 2k1 and Super PI. Below is link to a pic I took of memtest running for 6 hours and 40 minutes, on the Epox 9NDA3+ board. Note that this is at only 220 MHz X11 and the CPU has allready proven it can run higher than 2500 MHz using some Corsair Value Select ram.

Link

And no I don't have an Intel based system to try the ram in, I have however tried it back in the system with the Shuttle AN35/N 400 with similar results.

Edit: ram timings at: 3-4-4-8 2T with 2.8 Vdimm.

The type of errors you are getting would suggest some other problem. Please call our tech support and we can try to help you make sure it's not the modules. 888-222-4346 option 2.

Just picked up two more sticks of XMS Pro PC 4000 this morning.

Stable at 250x10 2.8Vdimm 2x HTT 3-3-8 memory timings all on auto. Pulling out the new sticks and putting in the old ones results in bios beep and failure to post.

Will give tech support a call on monday thks for the help.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

RMA Request sent, thanks RAM GUY :)

Edit:

One other thing. Is there a posibility of just bringing the sticks over to the Corsair building in Fremont? Wouldn't be much trouble for me to drive up there come this monday. Just wondering cause I could really use the replacement sticks right away.

Great, please let me know!

Well after several mistarts with this system it's up and running finally, problems ranged from a me accidently killing a floppy drive and a cd burner to the partition being corrupted while trying to use ports 3/4 for the RAID array, not to mention having to stop and repaint some faceplates (silver) and having a Promise FAST Trak TX 150 PCI RAID card not let me get into the bios (groan) on this Epox EP9NDA3+ Motherboard.

I'm up and running 250x10 3-3-7 CAS 2.5 2T 4xHTT on an Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester core CBBID. 1.4 Vcore, 2.8 Vdimm, 1.7 V Chipset, 1.6 V AGP.

3D Mark 2k1 chimes in at 25193, Super PI is 34 seconds, sandra memory bandwidth 6023/6035

Not earth shattering performance but respectable :D:

I'll post up some pics n linkage for those interested soon as I get my friggin camera running again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Just picked up two more sticks of XMS Pro PC 4000 this morning.

Stable at 250x10 2.8Vdimm 2x HTT 3-3-8 memory timings all on auto. Pulling out the new sticks and putting in the old ones results in bios beep and failure to post.

Will give tech support a call on monday thks for the help.

Blech!!! Thread resurection time. The two modules I mentioned in the quote above have since died on me, Requested RMA already in another thread.

At least I manged to get 2 good years out of em. Also 2 sticks of Xpert have also died on me, RMA through newegg is in process right now too.

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 3-4-4-8 and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Link to thread of what has been done so far.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59568

Short story, 3 different motherboards tried in both single and dual channel mode as low as 133 mhz 8 3 3 3.0 timings at 2.8 volts will still throw errors and or not make it into windows, and the modules are the PC 4000 modules so they should hit 250 mhz at thsoe settings.

Archived