Corsair Community

Nova 2 60 GB Very very slow

kieuc

Hi everyone,

I just bought SSD Corsair Nova 2 60Gb. I installed it and Windows Seven 64-bit on it but "daboom"! It's not working good, at all !

It can't do 2 things in the same time, when I copy files, it start from 120Mo/s and quickly turns to 24Mo/s, Mozilla takes more than 30 sec to start, Windows is much slower now, in everything, even unzip something took minutes (250ko to unzip !).

I had an Hitachi Desktop 7200 rpm and everything was just fine, Mozilla needed just 5 to 10 sec to be on Google.

I'm just very sad, SSD isn't such a good technology, that's doesn't seem like tomorrow revolution.

I did everything, from upgrade my BIOS to ask help from God himself. If I don't have any help quickly I will just return that "thing".

Hi everyone,

I just bought SSD Corsair Nova 2 60Gb. I installed it and Windows Seven 64-bit on it but "daboom"! It's not working good, at all !

It can't do 2 things in the same time, when I copy files, it start from 120Mo/s and quickly turns to 24Mo/s, Mozilla takes more than 30 sec to start, Windows is much slower now, in everything, even unzip something took minutes (250ko to unzip !).

I had an Hitachi Desktop 7200 rpm and everything was just fine, Mozilla needed just 5 to 10 sec to be on Google.

I'm just very sad, SSD isn't such a good technology, that's doesn't seem like tomorrow revolution.

I did everything, from upgrade my BIOS to ask help from God himself. If I don't have any help quickly I will just return that "thing".

Make sure all the drivers are up to date. Is the drive running in AHCI mode?

Not sure, I have an ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe, can't find an option for AHCI in BIOS

Sorry, nForce 570 doesn't support AHCI, but the JMicron on your board does, you could switch to it to see if there is an improvement, though switching to AHCI mode can cause problems and Microsoft has a fix for it before switching modes.

Microsoft AHCI Fix

Sorry, nForce 570 doesn't support AHCI, but the JMicron on your board does, you could switch to it to see if there is an improvement, though switching to AHCI mode can cause problems and Microsoft has a fix for it before switching modes.

Microsoft AHCI Fix

Done, and it's not better. I think my MB is too much old...

Did you switch to the JMicron SATA port on the board? And set it to AHCI in BIOS?

I just did, not working too.

I disconnected every HDD I have, and just used my new SSD (plug on JMicron SATA port), I turned JMicron to AHCI in my BIOS.

Windows is starting and during the loading I had a blue screen and an instant reboot.

Edit: It's 4 am here, I can try something else until 8 am, after I'll change it. I'm sur SSD is revolution after all, but not with prehistoric hardware like mine.

I just did, not working too.

I disconnected every HDD I have, and just used my new SSD (plug on JMicron SATA port), I turned JMicron to AHCI in my BIOS.

Windows is starting and during the loading I had a blue screen and an instant reboot.

Edit: It's 4 am here, I can try something else until 8 am, after I'll change it. I'm sur SSD is revolution after all, but not with prehistoric hardware like mine.

Switch it back to IDE mode and try loading Windows with the drive on the JMicron port, then try the fix and try setting it to AHCI.

Also if possible you may want to consider Secure Erasing the drive and trying it on another system to see if the problem persist.

Switch it back to IDE mode and try loading Windows with the drive on the JMicron port, then try the fix and try setting it to AHCI.

Also if possible you may want to consider Secure Erasing the drive and trying it on another system to see if the problem persist.

I already did the first step, it wasn't good. I tried everything, I even change the both HKEY because I have both, and both on 3 value.

I even tried to re-install Seven directly to my SSD, but I can't even find it with Seven's installation tools. My BIOS can find it, but in RAID0 disk.

I didn't format my Hitachi HDD, so I switched back to my previous installation, I think I'll stop here for my new SDD campaign. I'll try it another time, with last generation hardware MB & CPU (in few months).

I have to return it to my local reseller, format & clean (no partition). I have 24 hrs for having my cash back, because it doesn't work on my computer (hardware incompatibility) and I don't need anything else.

Past 24 hrs, I'll have to deal with Corsair directly, and I don't want it because at this time if I want a SDD, basically I need to buy a new MB, and if I buy a new MB, I'll need to buy a new CPU for sure, maybe DDR too.

Thx for your help , it was really usefull, even if doesn't work anyway!

(PS: And sorry for poor english, I'm tired and I learned it myself with internet)

One more thing, if I want to correctly erase it, what do I need ? (Nova 2 60Gb)

• 4 months later...

Can we please get a reply from a Corsair rep here please? This issue is unresolved and I am tired of living with an SSD that is half the speed of a 7200HDD. Any answer is better than no answer at this point.

Also, Corsair - Google this "SSD 60G|CORSAIR CSSD-V60GB2 R" and see what you get. Not good, please, please, help us fix this. You guys have never let me down in the past.

Signed up on the forum to confirm you aren't going insane...and to be another voice. I have the same drive, same problem. I RMA'd it earlier this month and I just got a new drive back from them. After about 1-2 days of good usage on my new system, I'm about to start my 2nd RMA....

In my experience, it's been disk response time. I've seen response time delays for read/writes up to 4000ms. It makes doing anything on the computer a horrible experience since the system and apps have constant I/O to the system drive. It's like trying to listen to someone give a speech that is just randomly pausing for 2-3 seconds at a time. Tried it on a few diff computers, same problem. Custom Core2Quad Setup w/ and w/o AHCI same issue. Optiplex 790 w/ AHCI same issue. Again now on a brand new Sandy Bridge setup, this time I configured the controller as RAID and I'm using the drive as an SSD cache w/ Intel Smart Response Technology, same issue.

I've seen talk of firmwares, drivers, etc., here: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/forumdisplay.php?f=206 but I've never been able to find any drivers or firmware for this particular drive. At this point, I'm fed up and just going to move on if it doesn't get fixed this time...What really bugs me is the lack of a formal response from anyone at Corsair.

CSSD-V60GB2 ATTO Tests (Controller = RAID mode, Intel Smart Response with RST drivers ver 10.8.0.1003)

Yesterday

Today

...still searching for my screenshots from tests with the previous drive (without SSD caching) but they were pretty much exactly the same. Solid 250 MB/s performance for a day or 2 then you end up with a bar graph bouncing all over the place, unfortunately no where near 250...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Is this as the Boot drive or as a second drive, if its the Boot drive then please use parted magic and secure erase the drive and boot the system with another drive then run ATTO again and just run the default tests do not change the test options. And re-post a ATTO screen shot.

And please fill in your system info or let us know what MB you are using and what controller port it is connected to on the MB.

I have this same drive and had the exact same situation described. Someone else mentioned it being related to Sata handling of multiple drives. For giggles, I moved my secondary drive to Sata 5 (leaving the Nova2 on Sata1) and set it to IDE mode. Instantly this made an enormous difference. While the drive is still disappointing, it is no longer slug-paced as it was initially. Not sure if the IDE mode was necessary as I didn't bother to test it without it.

The other thread said that "old motherboards" were to blame which seems unlikely as this was actually the newest of 3 systems put together at the same time. The other two had a different brand of SSD and both motherboards were clearly older yet showed none of the issues that the Nova 2 did.

Archived