Corsair Community

SP2500 Poor Gaming Sound Quality with XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

boo900

Hi,

Firstly music sounds great, after increasing the bass level otherwise there is too much tone.

However 2 of the 3 games I have tried so far sound terrible, grid sounds fine but Left4dead 2 & Battlefield Bad Company 2 sound awful, something is very wrong and the sound gets worse when there is more action especially (L4D2).

Have tried all enabling / disabling all settings in XFI console and the various EQ's in the SP2500 speaker contol pod. The FPS / Action Gaming profiles just sound seriously compressed.

Sound was fine with my previous speakers.

Can anyone please assist thankyou : - )

Hi Ram Guy,

Well the onboard is actually a daughter card on this MB which is not installed, I've been trying more games, Fear and Company of Heroes which both sound good, Counter-strike source was ok but gun sounds are not right, I'm no audiophile so I would say possibly too much reverb - thats a wild guess tho.

It would be interesting to try a Xonar card, I believe you do need to switch between music / gaming modes with them, I've never been impressed with eax anyway and from what I gather hardware accelerated audio is a thing of the past now (direct sound). I did try uninstalling openal btw which didn't make any difference.

I'm going to try some more games over the weekend...

It's so surprising how music (mp3 & radio streams) sound varies so much with these speakers I'm constantly adjusting the subwoofer level to compensate and trying different eq settings to get the sound I like. I'ts good, I feel like I've taken a big step up the audio audio quality ladder : - )

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the update. If it looks like this could be a hardware issue with the speakers then we will definitely replace them. But it sounds like it may just take a little bit of audio customization with the various games to get things to your liking.

Hi,

Ok, well i've got BC2 & L4D2 working ok now, athough I have no idea what I changed that I didn't try before.

It was strange, for example when firing guns in quick succession usually the first shot was nice and crisp but then the following shots were heavily muffled depending on how many other sounds were playing.

I'm confused now and need beer : - )

• 4 months later...
Hi,

Ok, well i've got BC2 & L4D2 working ok now, athough I have no idea what I changed that I didn't try before.

It was strange, for example when firing guns in quick succession usually the first shot was nice and crisp but then the following shots were heavily muffled depending on how many other sounds were playing.

I'm confused now and need beer : - )

This is normal, this kit has 1 problem: the input sensibility of the pre-amp section is too high so it's applying some sort of DRC(Dynamic range compression) when loud sounds goes beyond the limit of the input.

Just try to limit your volume in windows at ~50%/55% and you'll see that the volume is much better.

You can test it by playing a song with the sp2500 at a normal volume (~25%/30%) and the volume in windows at 50%, while listening to the song increase the volume in windows and you'll see that you'll lose almost all the high frequencies in the sound (the muffled sound). Repeat it but instead keep the windows's volume at 50% and increase the volume on the sp2500, the sound quality should not decrease this time(the sound should stay nice and crisp). Tested on both inputs on the sub.

sorry for my poor english writing... I'm french.

Hi ok great thanks for the info, I bet that was what was causing the issue, not had any problems since and i've reinstalled win 7 a couple of times since then.

Only thing I would like to change is how the subwoofer is controlled, using the controller just increased bass range, I would like the control the subwoofer indepentently so it kicks in more as and when I like.

I apologize for this since it is not going to be value added but I was using that sound card myself with the SP2500 and I upgraded to the Titanium HD. I honestly can't recall why. I only know that the difference in sound quality was like night and day. The Titanium HD in combination with the SP2500 is simply awesome, there's no other word to describe it. I might have been having the same issues you are, I just can't recall and I'm not going to revert back to the Fatal1ty to check it out, sorry. Anyway, it's just a thought since you made mention of possibly opting to look at a different sound card. The Titanium HD is a noticeable improvement.

Archived