Corsair Community

Possible bad Ram module

nightjester

Hello,

In late July I purchased a set of the TWINX512-3200C2PT XMS ram for my MythTV box. I have been having problems since then with different components of MythTV segfaulting with no reason. (For those that are not familiar with MythTV, think of it as a client/server software to create a TiVO on steroids. Record/pause live TV, Transcode MPEG2 video -> XVID for space, plays/records MP3s, shows pictures, weather, news, phone etcetctec. End result is more or less constant transcoding or playing of different digital media formats cause I record alot of TV shows).

Last weekend, I started to run through MemTest86+ to see if there might be any memory problems and found that between the 4 memory modules in my system, 21 errors were reported.

I removed the non-Corsair memory and re-ran the test, finding one error that continued to show up on the same test each time. I have not yet split the pair of modules to see which of them may be responsible for the bad memory address (if they are).

My question is this: How reliable are the results of Memtest86+ viewed and what suggestions might anyone offer? (I will be individually testing each module to see if I can't narrow which module(s) may be creating problems)

System Details:

MythTV (Various revisions)

Mandrake Linux 10.0 - kernel 2.4.x

Soyo SY-P4I875P Dragon 2 v1.0 Black Label

Prescott 3.2 Mhz

200gb Seagate SATA drive

2 x Kingston 512mb DDR Dual-Channel

2 x TWINX512-3200C2PT XMS

NVidea GeForce 5700 LE video

Hauppauge WinTV250 PVR

• Corsair Employee

Please do not mix and match memory module, since it will not work; also make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

SOYO COMBO Features

CPU Freq: 200

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.75 Volts

System performance: Standard

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T (2.5T AMD Platform)

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

> Please do not mix and match memory module, since it will not work..

Does that mean that I should not try to install a Kingston 512mb Dual Channel kit (2 dimms) and a Corsair 512mb Dual Channel kit (2 dimms) in my 4 DIMM slots at the same time? Or is it ok as long as the Corsair Dimms are in DDR_A1 and DDR_B1 and the Kingston ones are in DDR_A2 and DDR_B2?

(I believe there are CAS differences between the two sets of DIMMS)

I attempted to follow the steps that you outlined in your earlier post.

I could not select DRAM volage of 2.75, my closest choices were 2.7 or 2.8, so I left it as default.

I also did not have an option for SDRAM ROW Precharge or SDRAM Burst Length, but the other options I set as you specified.

I am still receiving (I believe the same) memory errors when using the TwinX memory modules.

After swapping both modules with the Kingston modules (and switching settings back to default), I did not receive any error errors on the tests.

Are there any other steps I should try?

Sorry for the delay in trying this. Since the Kingston modules tested without errors, I've been running the box with them installed for the last week or so.

Hopefully this weekend, I will be able to tear the box apart and test the Corsair modules individually to find which one has the error.

It is passing strange that you would replace half of the purchased product instead of just replacing both the dimms that were in the package, though.

NJ

It is passing strange that you would replace half of the purchased product instead of just replacing both the dimms that were in the package, though.

HUH??? Where in the world are you reading that? Ram Guy has never said that. Now if you are deriving that from the request to test them individually, that is primarily to make sure it isn't a slot causing problems.

TwinX memory is always recommended to be replaced in pairs, although some people do only choose to send in one. If only one is replaced then they are no longer a TwinX pack of course.

Sorry bout that.

I suppose Ram Guy and myself were not communicating clearly.

My question about "Should I attempt to test the modules separately?" was really trying to determine if is was important whatsoever to determine which of the 2 modules was bad for return purposes.

Since I have been running the same system on the Kingston dual channel pair in same slots that the Corsair were showing bad in, I think we can say that the rest of the system is not responsible for the errors reported in memtest86+.

Now,

A) because the results of memtest86+ are considered reliable indicators of bad memory (original question) and

B) because memtest86+ is showing errors when running against the corsair memory and not other dimms in the same slots and

C) because these modules will both be replaced regardless of whether one of them, or the combination of them is bad :

Do I need to spend a day tearing down my MythBox and running memtest86+ diagnostics to narrow down the bad DIMM or can I just get an RMA and have the pair replaced?

Great.

For the online RMA request, when I submit that, is there supposed to be some sort of acknowledgement that it was successfully sent, or just drop me back at corsair's main page?

(Cause it's dropping me onto the main page with no acknowledgement and that's fairly confusing)

Try as hard as I will, I am unable to get MS Excel to install on my system. Strangely enough, not even the installation program will launch without a substantial amount of effort.

Too bad. guess it's that no Microsoft OS thing again. :)

I just sent an email to you though, if that doesn't do it, I'll just chuck em and remember the next time.

Archived