Corsair Community

Is my Dominator platinum ram compatible with my mobo?

pmdureska

Hi all: i just joined the forum and i have a question. i am building a new computer and have it breadboarded but i am still having issues getting to POST. i have replaced one ASUS Deluxe Z87 mobo with a new one. I have a seasonic 760 watt platinum series poser source that i have tested and it seems fine. i have an i7 4770k with stock cooler attached. i have been working with asus tech and i asked about my ram memory. my platinum dominator ram is 1.5v version 3.24 CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 (2 sticks each 8Gb). asus says that ram not tested with the board but should work. when i do the memory finder, it lists the CMD16GX3M4A1866C9 (4 x 4Gb config) as compatible. the asus manual lists a 2 x 8 gb config as compatible but it is version 5.29 and a different timing 9-9-9-27 as opposed to 9-10-9-27. now i am really confused. does the version matter? does this mean i should do the 4x4gb configuration? should i just do some other ram with this board. on the memory finder it does not even list the 4 x 4 Gb ram as compatible with the Z87 boards. all help or answers and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks

no i cannot. if i have just the cpu, cooler and psu connected, the fans all spin up. no abnormal lights. if i add the ram i get a boot device led light coming on with no post. i have tried a single stick in the A2 dimm ( both sticks tried) as recommended by asus and the user manual. now i have been trying to use the flashback bios update with a usb 2.0 and a usb 3.0 (fat32) and i can't even get that to work. i'm supposed to be able to do the bios even without the ram installed. i have a ticket in with corsair about my ram compatibility with my mono but i have not heard back yet. i am in a quagmire here sinking fast. i thought this should be easy...but its not and my level of tech expertise is not great.

The memory is compatible.

I would suggest you pull the CPU and check for bent pins in the socket with a magnifying glass. If the socket is good then the board needs to be replaced. If the pins are bent you can either try straightening with them or have the board replaced. But ASUS will charge you for bent pins. That isn't covered under their warranty. I've been bit by that once.

EDIT: Just to clarify, it doesn't matter if it's the 4x4gig kit or the 2x8gig kit. They both would be 100% compatible.

thanks for the reply. this is my second mobo as i had returned the first and when i had pulled the cpu and inspected the socket it looked fine though i had some concerns that the mobo from the retailer was not fresh and pristine. they replaced it no questions. i really looked hard at the socket with this board and was uber careful placing the cpu. i am waiting to hear today from ASUS but unless they have some brilliant solution i will need to RMA the board. i am really at an impasse but i just needed to know the RAM was ok with this board. thanks again.

• 1 month later...
I have a Gigabyte 990fxa-uds motherboard and I am looking to buy extra RAM sticks for it. I am looking at either buying the Corsair Dominator Platinum or Kingston Hyperx Beast memory but after reading from here - http://forums.techarena.in/official-kingston-forum/1471272.htm, all users are suggesting to go for Kingston Hyperx Beast as it seems much better. But I wanted your expert opinion what really should be the best RAM that I should go with.

That is just someones random opinions. All major memory manufacturers will have a list of compatible memory for your MB. Best to look there as well as Gigabytes website too.

But The Dominator platinums would be totally compatible with that MB.However your CPU will be the biggest determining factor regarding speeds that you can run your memory at.

Archived