Corsair Community

860i and PC doesn't boot

Bonifacy

I recently replaced my AX750 with an AX760i - everyone was telling me its the motherboard... but my AX760i has been working fine since I received it..

I noticed with the i-series the voltage is much more stable... 750 would vary between 11.9~12.28 volts where at my 760i 12.000~12.096 and the 3.3/5volt rails do not fluctuate

I recently replaced my AX750 with an AX760i - everyone was telling me its the motherboard... but my AX760i has been working fine since I received it..

I noticed with the i-series the voltage is much more stable... 750 would vary between 11.9~12.28 volts where at my 760i 12.000~12.096 and the 3.3/5volt rails do not fluctuate

What were the circumstances though m46?

Your using different hardware and started out with a different PSU.

If anything it just confirms that the I series is compatible with new Haswell CPU's.

The haswell platform so far from my understanding is extremely finicky when it comes to power input and power management. If you have a well built I-series or any other DIGITAL PSU - you should be okay. When I say well built I don't mean a specific model like the AXi series - I mean the one you physically received is like 100% perfect. A friend of mine has a 4770k on an asus rog board running an AX1200i - unfortunately the 12v rail fluxuates too much and he fried the PSU... just as my AX750 did - he bought another PSU from fluxtronics (the guys who make the AXi PUS's) and got one just like my with less than .1 volt variance. Both of us have been beating on these PSU's all week to ensure the haswell issue has been solved

The only problem ther is you can't judge a PSU by the way it fluctuates voltage or how much it fluctuates. Once power hits the MB it's the boards responsibility to regulate and distribute that power smoothing out any variances the PSU may have..

As long as it doesn't fluctuate more than 5% either way then it would still be with in ATX specifications. So, if that AX1200 did fry a CPU then it would have to have been a bad unit that was further out of spec. But one that is within spec that may fluctuate a bit isn't going to fry a CPU by itself.

In your previous post you listed the voltages that the PSU's you have are showing and they are all well within spec. They are near perfect even at a low of 11.9. 11.4-12.6v would be the allowed amount of fluctuation or varience a PSU can have before it could potentially damage hardware or cause stability issues.

750 would vary between 11.9~12.28 volts where at my 760i 12.000~12.096 and the 3.3/5volt rails do not fluctuate.

But anyway this has nothing to do with the OP's issue and is getting way off track...Back to the subject on hand! :)

• 7 months later...
  • Corsair Employee

I hate to bump this very negative thread, but it seems that some people are still having this problem and are referencing this relatively unresolved forum thread.

The problem did turn out to be a motherboard issue: http://hwbot.org/newsflash/2191_fix_available_for_incompatibility_between_corsair_ax760iax860i_and_gigabyte_z87x_oc_(force

The removal of this one resistor solves this problem. Of course, we don't expect end users to hack up their brand new motherboards, so it's best to just contact Gigabyte and have the board replaced with a newer revision.

Archived