Corsair Community

Mem dividers 3:2 and 5:4 -> PROBLEM WITH ABIT BOARDS!!!

Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of reading over the past little while and this is what I've come up with...first, my system: P4 2.4C ABIT IS7-G 2x512MB CORSAIR 3200XMS C2 Radeon9700PRO Now, when I first got the system, I immediately threw it up to 250FSB @ 5:4 divider meaning the memory would be running at 200(400DDR) which is what it's rated at, and the CPU would be at 3.0GHz (which is what everyone else seemed to be reaching...)...butttt it wouldn't even post! Through lots of trial and error, I found that 245/246FSB is the HIGHEST it would post at 5:4 divider...above that, no go! The highest I have been able to get my board to run at STABLE (prime95 overnight, etc) is 240FSB (2.9GHz) with the ram (dual channel) is 2-6-3-2 at that speed, which is under it's rated 200MHz...no biggie, still an improvement in performance. However, I have been reading on ABIT's site on [url]http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=13877&perpage=15&pagenumber=1[/url] this thread and apparently...there is an issue with ABIT boards and certain memory modules that they won't post above 245 at 3:2 or 5:4, or won't post above 217FSB at 1:1! So it MAY NOT BE MY (or your!) cpu!! This thought never occured to me, cuz hey at 250FSB 5:4, my ram was running at it's rated specs so how could it be the ram?? Just something for you people to consider, it may not be your cpus! Try different memory modules in your board (I notice lots of you with problems have ABIT IC7's or IS7's), or maybe a different board? (as much as I love ABIT...)....let's post our experiences here and maybe RAMGUY or corsair can answer questions about any possible incompatibilities??? Thanks!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, same here. I've been using two older (6 months maybe) sticks of XMS3202v1.1 256mb with my IC7 with no problems at all with memory timings or dividers. Today I got two NEW sticks of XMS3202v1.2 and I can't do crap with it other than stock fsb speeds. I just don't get it. Why would going from 200/200 to 250/200 make any difference with the ram? It's still the same speed! I'm really pissed cause now I have to pay shipping and restock to RMA this ram until I can find some v1.1 or someone figures out what is going on.:shootme:

Well I am almost POSITIVE it has something to do with ABIT/Corsair incompatibility, so I am going to try some other RAM...also guys think we should email corsair about this? Hopefully the "ramguy" sees this thread and checks it out...

I really don't know if it's a corsair/ABIT issue or just a plain abit bios/dual channel memory thing. Hopefully someone will look into it and we can get an offical response. I don't want to go changing ram and find out it's the motherboard. If anyone has any thoughts. Please post!

That's makes the situation even stranger. I can run mine perfectly fine with default cpu voltage and 1 512 stick at 3.2 ghz. I throw in that second chip and I can't hit 3 ghz. Here's the really weird part. I tested this last night. In 5:4 mode both sticks, with the slowest ram timings, I can't run stress test (folding and prime 95) at 245. Prime95 crashes in under 5 seconds However, if i run at 244 i can run 2-3-3-7 no problem at all. Nothing crashes at all. Something is screwed that's for sure. Keep the info coming.

interesting, valkadesh, my results are VERY similar to yours: 2x 512mb pc3200 c2 sticks can run at 246fsb, all gat options turned off. can run at 247fsb with cpu and dimm voltage cranked up, but 3dmark2001se crashes quickly. can't even post at 248fsb! note that i have this problem using the same ram and cpu on both an is7 and an ic7 board. haven't tried the single-stick trick yet. that's the plan for tonight. in the meantime, i've got a set of geil golden dragon pc3500 twin the mail, should get 'em tomorrow night. if they work i'm kissing corsair goodbye - for the price they aren't nearly the monster ram i expected they would be!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by joecool [/i] in the meantime, i've got a set of geil golden dragon pc3500 twin the mail, should get 'em tomorrow night. if they work i'm kissing corsair goodbye - for the price they aren't nearly the monster ram i expected they would be! [/B][/QUOTE] Hey, be sure to let us know if that works, we are all in the same boat!!! And btw, it's not necessarily a corsair problem, it's a combination of abit's incompatibility and corsair's chips...APPARENTLY the problems are coming from the revision 2 pc3200 corsair...that uses winbond BH6 or other chips....the ones that seem to work are the BH5's....just something else to think about!

I'm successfully running a 2.4C (1.550v) on an Abit IC7 (non-G, BIOS v1.5) w/ 512MB (1x512) of Corsair XMS PC3200C2PT (5:4 divider), O/C'd @ 3.0GHz. I originally purchased 2 sticks from Newegg, but had to send one of them back due to resulting errors in Memtest86 (test #5). Default voltage for memory and timings (CAS2-3-3-6) are used. Once I receive the replacement stick, I'll post back here and let you all know of my dual channel findings. Hopefully this isn't an Abit/Corsair incompatibility as Spektr stated, since most of you are having the same problems. :sigh!: I guess for some reason, I'm one of the lucky ones. That is until I test out dual channel mode. :sigh!: Have you all tested dual channel mode in both configurations (slots 1&3 and 2&4)? Also, be sure to test your memory (in single channel mode) w/ Memtest86 (v3.0). That defective stick caused games to crash @ 2.8 and 3.0GHz (in dual channel), but seemed to run games fine at stock speeds. I guess when it comes to memory, there are varying degrees of 'defectiveness.' I know... it's called memory labelling. :winking:

Yea, I originally tried in dual channel @ 250FSB (5:4) and it failed...tried both sticks individually @200FSB (1:1) and one failed so I RMA'd it...now trying the lone good stick in single channel configuration, no go, no matter what the voltage :/ I've also tried slots 1&3, 2&4 for dual channel, made no difference :(

Seems like alot of us are in the same boat and have near identical setups. I'll do some testing at lunch today, because i've got 1 512 v1.1 stick and 1 512 v2.2 stick. I know for a fact with the v1.1 stick i can run 3.2 ghz all day long, however, i'm going to try the same thing with the 2.2 stick. That should help us find out if it's a version or duel channel problems. Of course for me, my ram could just be so far mismatched it's causing problems. RAMGUY replied to my other thread and he seemed to think it was my memory being so different. This test will help. I'll post whatever i find if it'll help others as well. I'm quite open for any ideas though, this is frustrating.

I know i'm replying to my own post, but i've got more info that I think will benefit everyone. I just went home and did some more testing. I ran the memtest86 or whatever it's called on just my version 2.2 stick. No problems noted (just one complete pass). So I tried to boot it at 3.2 ghz with the 5:4 divider. No go, board won't post. I throw in my 1.1 stick.....it posts, boots to windows, I can run prime95 and folding maxing out the cpu with zero problems. So the problem is CERTAINLY not the duel channel on the mb, and it's with the v2.2 stick. So now, what to do. I can RMA the stick no problem, but i might just get another 2.2 stick. Again, this may fix the problem, but i'm betting there is an incompatability problem with my board and the v2.2. What I think i'm going to do is RMA it, and BEG for an older 1.1 stick. Worst comes to worst, i get a fresh 2.2 stick, give it a shot. I know this isn't the most comprehensive test, but I think i'm on the right track. Remember this is the same XMS-3200c2 512 sticks just different version 1.1 and 2.2. Both SHOULD be able to do roughly the same thing. Everyone please post the version of chips you are having problems with. I'm betting it's the 2.2. Thoughts?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Valkadesh [/i] [B]The thread is 56 pages long......but the review helped a bit. I still think it's just a problem with the IC7 and the xms-3200-version 2.2 chips. I wonder what the current version of this ram is :) [/B][/QUOTE] Yea, thanks for that review post dude but it was for the 533 bus cpu, not our 800 "C" class.....and Valk, it IS about rev1 vs rev2 problem for corsair. Rev2 uses Winbond BH6/C chips, which have compatibility issues. Rev1, BH5 or under ;) I'm positive that's the problem now! Where does it say the ram version on your dimm, just on the stick that's on the heat spreader?

Hey, guys. As you already know, I'm currently running my 2.4C @ 3.0GHz (5:4). I attempted to push my system @ 3.2GHz (5:4 w/ relaxed timings of CAS3-3-3-7), but no go. :sigh!: I was under the impression that our XMS PC3200C2 sticks could easily run at PC3500 (DDR434) speeds (w/ relaxed timings, of course), but obviously not every module is created equally. Either that, or my CPU has hit the wall. Believe me, I'm perfectly happy with an 800MHz O/C! :eyebuldge I doubt that I have the Abit/Corsair revision problem, but you never know. Oh, I also increased the CPU and memory voltages to 1.600v and 2.8v respectively, but still no go (computer doesn't even post). Anyway, I would also like to know where the revision number is located. TIA! :biggrin:

The revision number is on the chip itself. it should be in the upper right hand corner and say something like XMS3200v2.2 With 2.2 being the version. The differs slightly between chips, but it should be easy enough to locate somewhere on the heat spreader.

Valk: How do you remove the heat spreaders in order to see the revision number on the memory chip(s)? I tried removing the heat spreaders on the defective stick (after removing the clip) I'm sending back, but they must be glued onto the memory chips. Perhaps I was attempting to remove them in the wrong fashion?

[url]http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showimage.html?u=http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/memory/roundups/865875/corsair.jpg[/url] Check the picture out in this link. The revision # is the last 2 digits in the model # in the top right hand corner of the pic. It's just above RAM GUYs bulging bicep in the hologram. You don't have to peel your spreaders to get it. It should read something like v1.1 or v1.2 or v2.2. Mike.

IT WAS THE RAM! SWEET JESUS! I went to a friend's house an swapped out my Corsair XMS 3200 C2 ram and popped in his craptastic PC2700 Generic C2.5 ram, and I am now running PERFECTLY STABLE AT 3.3GHz!!!!! [IMG]http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL246/1277663/2427248/29409322.jpg[/IMG] Check it out! It is the RAM, Corsair needs to get on this! I, for one, am going to be exchanging my Corsair ram for some Kingston RAM. :biggrin:

well, i got the geil on friday and finally got around to trying it out today. i love the packaging - magnetic closure, the cool dragon etched on the dimms, and the dragon eye, which is on both sides of the dimm. right now i'm running on it, 1:1 ratio, 216MHz fsb. course that's just stock for pc3500. i'll try oc'ing next. only one little problem - i got the twin set and one stick appears to be bad! when i try to boot it up with my corsair i get ram checksum errors, and when i try to boot it up with the other geil stick the system doesn't even post. took me for fricking ever to figure out that was the issue as i changed a bunch of other stuff in my case when i install the ram. grrr...! anyway, bottom line, it's clear the corsair pc3200 xms, v2.2 has major issues. this really stinks and i'm pretty unimpressed with corsair right now. unless they fix this damn soon you'll be seeing my mem on ebay and i won't be buying corsair again any time soon! i'll keep you posted on my oc results. -joe ps - anybody else having trouble reaching the abit forum this weekend? i have been able to access it since friday night!

Wow! Congrats, Spektr! I for one am glad you were able to solve this highly frustrating dilemma. Like an idiot, I haven't tried the 3:2 divider as of yet. Sure, the FSB will be essentially underclocked, but it'll rule out a problem with the memory (in my case) if I'm unable to O/C @ 3.2 or 3.3GHz. I'll give that a try when I get home later tonight. Good luck with your new memory purchase, Spek. Let us know what happens.

Tarkus, it's easy....all you need to do is get some NON-CORSAIR RAM and it'll work for ya most likely :) As for the divider thing man, don't even BOTHER...it isn't a problem with the ram so much as a problem with ram and the way memory:FSB dividers are implemented on ABIT's boards....5:4, 3:2, none will work for you, it's the RAM dude! As a reference point, I tried 5:4 and 3:2 on my Corsair PC3200 just for fun, no go. I had to run my PC2700 in 3:2 cuz it wouldn't do 400MHz, but it worked like a charm at 3.3GHz as I noted before....so save yourself the grief and get some different ram to try :) As much as I hate to say this, this is a HUGE problem, because most overclockers run abit boards (as they have for a long time), and lots of us like corsair ram...but if corsair isn't good for overclocking, what good is it to us?? I'll keep you guys posted on what new ram I trade up to :)

Archived