Corsair Community

Push Hot Air In or Out?

Speed

Hello,

I own 600T case + H100i and would like to set up an airflow similar to Speed's one.

There is not enough room to put both the radiator and fans inside the case, so I will place the fans in between the removable top filter and the honeycomb, in a pull exhaust configuration, like this:

http://www.xlions.eu/images/gobbo/600t/600t_airflow_1_tmb.jpg

CLICK TO ENLARGE

BUT, since I have six SP120 Fan, I would also put 4 of them in the window side panel, like this:

http://www.xlions.eu/images/gobbo/600t/600t_airflow_side_tmb.jpg

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Is this configuration fine, do you guys have any suggestion?

In particular, is it OK to have such an amount of fans pulling air inside the case from the side, or this can ruin the airflow?

Nice post.

I would appreciate if u can draw us a scheme with the correct air flow in a PC case.

That would greatly depend on the case used and also fans and cooling components. What works for one user may not be so great for the next!

• 3 weeks later...
That would greatly depend on the case used and also fans and cooling components. What works for one user may not be so great for the next!

To: peanutz94

I agree completely which is why I started this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=664703

By people listing their setup and temps (in particular max observed temps and under what condition; for me for example gaming is only in th 60s but video conversion hits over 80c using all 4 cores for minutes at a time). I'm also playing with airflow to determine what's best. I hope if enough people contribute to this thread then others may benefit by finding others with similar setups. I intended this thread to be for h80i users bc that's what I have but h100i and others are of course welcome. More info doesn't hurt!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread, realy informative!

What would you suggest if I have these fans:

2 120mm front fan

1 side pannel 200mm fan

1 120mm rear fan

2 120mm h100i top fans

but with a gtx 780 with ACX cooler, wich release hot air into the case. Should I still do all intake with only the h100i fans exhaust? Or also with the rear fan exhaust to be sure that the hot air from the gpu get out of the case?

Thanks!

That you have a side panel 200mm, set it to intake so that it will blow on the motherboard and graphics card. Set the rear 120 to exhaust, H100i 120s to exhaust/push out the top, 2 120s front as intake. This will set up a slight positive pressure in the case, which is what you want.

Speed, does this setup of yours only apply too liquid cooling or will it apply too all air cooled? I have a Corsair C70 case with 2 Noctua 120mm intake front, 1 Noctua 120mm exhaust rear above card slots, 2 Noctua 140mm exhaust top, cpu cooler is a Noctua downdraft NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO. I went ahead and turned my 120mm exhaust around so it's now feeding the cpu cooler and my NB heatsinks with cool air. I will watch and see how it works.

The configuration is perhaps more pertinent to a radiator cooler that will introduce its own heat into the case if mounted as intake, making other components more difficult to cool. Still, there is benefit to the general configuration, as outlined below:

The front intakes and top exhausts pretty much equal each other; producing a neutral pressure--if there were no other fans. With the rear as intake; blowing cool air across the motherboard components and supplying the CPU air cooler with cool air. and exiting out the top, there is a slight positive pressure. This also tends to keep dust from entering the case through the myriad of holes and cracks inherent in any case. I seal off all of the ones accessible with packing tape, just to make sure that the air flows the way I want it to.

well just in the 15mins I have tried it I can say thank you, it has made a difference in my cooling. cpu temps have lowered 3c, both gpu's have lowered 2c, but my main concern was my northbridge as the sabertooth x58 is known for running hot that is why I have a cpu cooler that directs air down onto my chipset and it has always ran way cooler than others with the same mob as mine ran at 48c idle and 62c full load, now I am happy to say with your suggestion my northbridge temp has been lowered 5c to 43c idle and 58c full load which is only 4c lower at load, but pretty nice I think. thanks for your great post and your great testing too help all of us. I am sure that using the rear fan as intake would not work with a cpu air cooler that directs air out the back of the case where the rear exhaust is.

Glad you got good results, and you're most welcome. Pretty significant thermal energy drop on many components; which will extend their lives.

As for the last point, unsure of exactly which type of air cooler you are referring to, if you mean one that has fans mounted fore/aft instead of down at the CPU, I'd simply mount the fans, so that they direct ari to the front of the case and not the rear. The heatsink fans don't care which way the air flows, as long as it freely flows. With the rear intake blowing directly into the CPU fans, its efficiency is greatly increased. I've even built ducts to air coolers to supply them with air not heated by other components in the case.

yes thats the style I was refering to as my friend has a cpu cooler that has 1 fan pushing air towards the rear exhaust, but as you said having the cpu fan flowing towards the front of the case would work if the rear fan is intake. I will try this on my friends system as I built it anyway and will post back the results I get with his. won't be for a couple days though.

That you have a side panel 200mm, set it to intake so that it will blow on the motherboard and graphics card. Set the rear 120 to exhaust, H100i 120s to exhaust/push out the top, 2 120s front as intake. This will set up a slight positive pressure in the case, which is what you want.

Thanks a lot, i'll try it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Speed-

As the Adrian Newey/ACBC of the enthusiast PC realm, what sort of intake/exhaust CFM differential do you think is appropriate to maintain a useful positive pressure?

Given that the differential must vary (proportionately?) with total CFM, is there a percentage of total CFM that you've found reliable?

Finally, if you wouldn't mind expounding a bit on your DIY intake filtration methodology, I'd be very grateful. From your posts on the subject, I've gleaned that a flat filter (be it a secondary filter, or even a mesh case wall) will unduly impede airflow into the case, and perhaps even create turbulence within interior case airflow. With that in mind, a concave, or domed filter - although not completely alleviating these issues - will at least minimize them enough that the benefits of filtration become worthwhile.

However, I can't visualize the actual design details (e.g. why/how a larger diameter 140mm filter would work with a 120mm intake fan etc.).

Thanks,

Henk

i dont think theres a definitive way to measure the amount of positive airflow,but from a personal standpoint the biggest advantage of a good positive airflow is it reduces the amount of dust being pulled in from open holes and cracks.

• 3 months later...

Thanks so much. Thats awesome. Lets say following this setup, is there any difference between the position of the radiator and fans to the top?

By this, i mean between 1.inside the case->radiator->fans->out top. Or 2.inside the case->fans->radiator->out top.

Which is the better setup? Thanks alot for any advice

Thanks so much. Thats awesome. Lets say following this setup, is there any difference between the position of the radiator and fans to the top?

By this, i mean between 1.inside the case->radiator->fans->out top. Or 2.inside the case->fans->radiator->out top.

Which is the better setup? Thanks alot for any advice

you only need to concentrate pushing air THRU the rad for optimum cooling.

I think he means though the radiator.

Muffin fans tend to suffer from objects blocking their input side, as it creates interfering turbulence, which destroys the boundary layer on the blades. That boundary layer corruption decreases the blade's efficiency. So, it's:

2.inside the case->fans->radiator->out top.

• 1 year later...
I recently added water cooling to my gpu and ended up with a rad at the top of my 540. i was disappointed with results so I changed rear fan to input and this helped re-balance my case. I took it further and also turned my front top fan to input but this got an un-expected result so it was turned back to exhaust and I adjusted its speed down to 900rpm. With top fan as input my cpu got super cool but my x58, mb and gpu did not follow. Guess it caused the heat lock condition discussed earlier in the thread. I use push pull on both rads cause I get about 5c lower temps and i can run quiet fans. The h105 at front of case has two Corsair 120mm SP PWM Quite edition (var900-1200rpm w/cpu header cntrl) in push and two Aerocool 120mm Dead Silence (con@1500rpm) fans in pull. One Corsair 120mm AF Quiet edition (con@1100rpm) is in top intake position and a 140mm Aerocool Dead Silence (con@1100rpm) is the top front exhaust. The rear input fan is a TT Ring14 SP 140mm (var1100-1400rpm w/case fan header control. I have a filter right on fan. Lastly the H80iGT at the rear exhaust position has a TT Ring12 SP 120mm (con@1400rpm) in push and an Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm red led (con@1500rpm) in pull. Benchmarking and gaming etc. to I see max load temps as follows. CPU 60c, GPU 65c, x58 58c. At idle CPU 38c, GPU 38c, x58 45c. Ambient temps are usually 26c, I like my AC.

002croppedsmall.thumb.jpg.89a0febfc1dbbd200e71b52f22bf4fc2.jpg

I read 'Speeds' thread again, specifically the part about the fans spinning faster but producing no flow cause they are starved and made another adjustment. I added the 7v adapters that came with my dead silent fans and this knocks their speed down to 1100 rpm. Now the system which was already pretty quite is even quiter and my idle temps went down another 5c across all readings except my MB, it stayed the same. Load temps are the same except CPU and x58 are now about 5c lower. To check this I placed my hand in front of fans first with out LN adapter to get a feel for the airflow. I added adapters one by one and checked airflow which was improved.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally, you want to use AF fans where ever you can, or at least until something solid gets in your way - like a radiator. On a set of drives, it really won't matter much and the fan will be cooling the drives, not contributing to case airflow.

There is nothing wrong with this set-up in principle, but the key is you need to run the radiator fans harder than normal. That GTX is your only outlet for hot air and the radiator itself will always limit the amount of air you push with those two fans. It won't be 100+ cfm, no matter how high you run them. Those are free air numbers. Keep an eye on your internal case temps (motherboard/memory/drives/etc). GPU heat maybe the determining factor whether this is successful. I tried recently in a very different kind of case. I would say this layout is a no go for SLI/Crossfire.

Archived