Corsair Community

M90 forward and backward button issue

aksiram

Hi

Hi recently got the Corsair m90 mouse and am kicking myself for not having read reviews of it first.

A major issue I have with it is the following:

By default the forward and backward functions (Windows mouse buttons 4 and 5) are assigned to mouse buttons 7 and 8. They are way out of reach of my short little thumb, so I assigned the forward and backward functions to mouse buttons 8 and 9 on this mouse, which I can reach without much difficulty.

Now, for some bizarre reason, these buttons do not work in games. When I assign actions to these buttons in a game, like Red Faction, Red Orchestra, STALKER, or basically any FPS for that matter, it will show me in the control/key binding menu in the game that these buttons (8 and 9, forward and backward) have been assigned in the game to the desired function. For example, In red faction I use backward or Windows button 4/5 for melee. So with this mouse, after assigning the function to it it will say in the menu that melee has been assigned to mouse button 4/5; however, when I press this button while in the game, nothing happens - no action is performed.

Thus, in short, I can assign functions to mb 4 and 5 (8 and 9) in the game's controls menu, but no action is performed when pressing these buttons during gameplay. They do however function successfully as forward and backward in windows explorer.

Why on earth is this happening? why won't games detect the newly assigned forward and back buttons 8 and 9 of this mouse as windows buttons 4 and 5?

This is a very big problem for me because I always assign the side forward and back buttons of any mouse to functions in a game, like dodging or throwing a grenade, etc.

Red Faction Guerilla has a particularly large number of actions your character can perform, for example, there is melee, dodge, energy shield, energy blast, beserk power-up and shockwave - I'd like to be able to activate all these abilities using the side buttons on the corsair m90, but for all practical purposes I can't use the 2 small buttons right at the front, my thumb is too short.

Thus not being able to have forward and back/buttons 4 and 5 (8 and 9 as they are designated as in the m90 configurator) robs me of the use of two side buttons.

I hope I have expressed my problem clearly.

Please tell me if there is anything I can do about this. Is there something I should do differently to get these buttons to work in games or if this is yet another issue with the m90 that will only be resolved once pigs sprout wings and begin to fly?

I have installed the latest firmware and driver.

I have also tried with hardware playback enabled and disabled, it makes no difference.

I had the same issue. Not much we can do, software is pretty abysmal to say the least. There's supposed to be an update this week coming but I'm not holding my breath. Its been over six months since the beta was released. You could try mapping those mouse buttons as letters or numbers and bind them ingame to those letters or numbers.

Alright, I finally got it working. I had buttons 12 and 13 programmed to back and forward, buttons 10, 11, 12 and 13 programmed to o, p, l, and k and I moved the sniper function from button 14 to 15. This was saved to profile 1. It worked in games the next day with hardware playback enabled.

The next day, when turning on my PC, I had to re-install the firmware again, as usual, because the mouse cursor stuttered/lagged. Now the mouse has somehow returned to its default settings! Even though in the m90 control panel it shows my profile 1 with the correct button assignments, when I press the buttons nothing happens, they are exactly like they were when I took the mouse out of the box! Worst of all I tried to just reassign the button functions and reprogram my macros but it still doesn't work! Even though, for example, the control panel says my button 15 is the sniper button, it isn't! The function is back to the default button 14!

Oh no! Please help! I paid 600 South African Rands for this - that's the price of 30 Big Mac hamburgers! The mouse has become a brick!

• Corsair Employee
Have you tried uninstalling the software completely, and re-installing the program again? This may reset the software so you can reprogram what you lost. Also to verify, are using USB 2.0 and not 3.0?

Have you tried uninstalling the software completely, and re-installing the program again? This may reset the software so you can reprogram what you lost. Also to verify, are using USB 2.0 and not 3.0?

I am using USB 2.0. Should I use USB 3.0 instead? Actually the mouse is plugged into my K90 keyboard (which is very nice by the way, except for the rubber dome keys, like delete - which I have to press really hard.)

I got the macros and button assignments working again, not sure how, though.

I reprogrammed everything a couple of times and eventually it stuck. I'm gonna switch off my PC for the night and I'll let you know tomorrow what happens. This issue seems to be happening at random. I'll also start the pc with the mouse plugged into a usb 3 port.

Well what do you know. I've restarted my PC with the m90 plugged into a usb 3 port and it is actually working without any issues. The mouse isn't lagging, the macros are there and working just as I had programmed them... no need to once again update the firmware...

Finally, the mouse seems to be working properly. I will update this thread tomorrow, just in case a new problem pops up over the course of this day.

If all goes well I will start a new thread telling other people what I had to do to get it working properly.

It's a very pretty and well built mouse. The side buttons are not ideally laid out, though, the two at the front (14 and 7) are way out of my reach. The one behind the scroll wheel is also positioned very strangely but never the less, the sniper function sells both the m60 and m90 for me.

Archived