Corsair Community

AX850W Two failed in 10 months

PlyCuda

Built a new system in July last year using an AX 850 PSU. That failed in December and was replaced with new AX 850 in January this year. That has now failed also, and I am surprised given the reputation of Corsair as a quality Company and the supposed reputation of their PSU,s as some of the best in the business.

First PSU started to take a long time to power up the system before failing. Second PSU has just failed with no prior symptoms and yes I have tested it and the power lead.

Is there an inherent problem with the AX 850 or a quality problem at the manufacturing source.

Not happy at all at this situation and having to rip my build down again to pack unit and cables up for return and the time and hassle to get PSU re-placed for a second time.

Once is an inconvenience and understandable twice in 10 months of a premium product is not a good advert for your products.

Hi, RAM GUY

I am in the UK and the first AX 850 PSU was returned to the supplier for testing and replacement.

To avoid the wait in them testing and supplying a replacement I purchased a new AX 850 PSU from them and they refunded the cost when they found the first to be a faulty unit so I have no RMA # from Corsair for the first PSU, though I do have both purchase and refund invoices and the bar code labels from the outer cellophane box wrap for both units.

I cannot contact the supplier until Wednesday due to the two day public holiday here to see what my options are this time. Obviously I would like to sort it with the supplier due to the high cost of postage to your service centre that is based in the Netherlands and is the one that serves the UK as far as I am aware. I also feel reluctant to paying the postage due to the hassle this has caused me.

PS: I also have the serial # of both units

• Corsair Employee

Please give me the SN# and lot code of the two previous units and please use the link on the left and request an RMA and let me know the case number and I will see what I can do to help with this..

And to be clear the unit you have now will not power on and you have tried the paper clip test on the PSU right?

Hi, RAM GUY

The first AX850 began taking a long time to power up the system; it went from virtually instant to taking a few minutes and quickly got worse. When I pulled it from the system it was taking 20>30 min to power up system. I then completed the paper clip test as per Corsair’s recommendations and tried the PSU several times and it would take up to 54 min to actually spin the attached fans (I used 2x140 mm fans). The replacement of this PSU was dealt with as described in post # 3 above.

The second AX850 was working on Friday, went to turn on computer on Saturday and nothing at all happened, no lights on MB absolutely nothing. Tried power lead in computer I am using to post this and lead was found to be ok. Pulled PSU from system and done the paper clip test as previously described for first AX850 this time nothing no power at all.

First AX850 details

S/N: R1008B70570242 Rev: A1W

LOT: 10317019

Second AX850 details

S/N: R1110B91380994 Rev: A1W

LOT: 11437021

Before I request an RMA and case number can you tell me if I do go through yourselves with the return of this PSU will I receive a new AX850 or a returned and refurbished unit? This I would find unacceptable especially after the hassle I’ve had and can you sort out something with the cost of postage as I believe this is going to be very expensive considering the weight and posting out of the UK. Also approximately how long will it take to get a new AX850 to me?

I wait your reply before contacting the supplier to see if I can repeat what I did with the first PSU as I believe under UK law I can get them to replace the unit within the first 12 month period.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

• Corsair Employee

At this time all RMA's are replaced with new AFAIK but we can replace with a factory refurbished unit according to the Warranty Policy.

But in this case it will be part of my request. Please make the request directly with us as I want to get that unit back here and have our Engineering look at that unit. I will explain the shipping and such once the request has been made.

Hi, RAM GUY

I take it from your last post that you can ensure me that I will receive a new AX850 am I clear on this. Also is the A1K a later revision than the A1W that I am returning.

If this is the case then I have requested an RMA and have a case number, have confirmation email that an RMA has been requested only so far.

One observation when I was filling out the request even though on the first page I entered the product and type, on the next under my details the list was asking for module S/N & LOT #’s this appeared to relate to RAM details but I entered the details of the AX850 I am returning as it would not let me proceed without entering these details is that ok or have I missed something.

I await your reply as to postage and approximate time for replacement of a new PSU.

I don’t mind a reasonable amount of time if it means you will get the unit to evaluate because in the end it will help everyone if you can eliminate a problem.

Case # 4725501

Thanks.

PS: At this time I have not contacted the supplier as you say you want the unit for your engineers.

Ram Guy

I started the RMA process with Corsair and received an email from Tech Support on Thursday that at the start did not inspire confidence. You can read the email string as I will not post details here, I waited as requested for Customer Support to contact me but no further contact was made Thursday or Friday and I checked spam box just incase.

I found that very annoying as I believe I have been inconvenienced enough with all the hassle of replacing the first PSU and now having to rip my system apart for the second time to get leads out to repeat the process.

Due to the lack of communication I will on Monday contact the retailer to see what options I have with them as I am not about to start chasing you’re Customer Services.

I know I am not the only one to have had either problem with the AX850 but I’ve been unlucky to have had both and although I’m far from happy with the situation I believe Seasonic who make the AX850 for Corsair must share some of the blame as they are the manufacturer and they must have a problem with either the design or manufacturing process or quality control of the final product or supplied components.

Either way it is Corsair’s name on the box and Corsair’s name and reputation as a quality company and future sales that are being harmed.

Which way I now choose to jump will depend on the supplier’s response, another concern I have is that if I RMA with you and I get another lemon then I’ve discovered its £40 including insurance to return a PSU to your Service Centre in the Netherlands and if I deal with the supplier then I will have more protection under UK consumer Law.

I think I'm having the exact same issue here as the OP had with his first PSU.

The PSU is taking a very long time to power up the system, before working perfectly. However in my case it's been about 3 hours, last night it was 6 hours with no luck.

Have repeatedly cleaned and rebuilt the PC, checked components and capacitors, have isolated the motherboard to see if it's at fault.

• 2 weeks later...

To bring this thread to conclusion as I hate reading threads myself that are left hanging.

I considered my options and decided I still wanted an AX850 as I consider it to be the best PSU that suits my needs, so that left the choice between the Supplier and Corsair as to who I sent it to for RMA.

I chose Corsair for two reasons, firstly I wanted to eliminate the possibility of getting an AX850 from the same batch. Secondly although I purchased a new PSU from the Supplier to replace the fist faulty unit and they issued a refund notice ten days after receiving and testing the first unit, the actual refund procedure did not go smoothly and I had to involve a third party to retrieve the money. So using Corsair for the RMA broke my link to the Supplier who I will not be using again.

Apart from the slight hic up with the email (post #8) at the start of the RMA, once I emailed Corsair to confirm I was going to RMA through them things moved exceptionally fast.

It is the mark of a good company on how they deal with a problem when one arises and no one could reasonably expect more of Corsair as to how they dealt with this problem.

So I am very happy to have a working AX850 back in my system and also extremely happy with Corsairs Customer Service in this instance.

Thanks to all involved.

Archived