Corsair Community

What's the difference?

The Force GT uses Synchronous NAND while the Force 3 uses Asynchronous NAND. This affects how well the drive performs with incompressible data. You might find this article useful:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-Force-3-vs-Force-GT-120-GB-Solid-State-Drive-Review/1367/1

You will have to decide how material this is for you. For me, I did not think the real world difference was worth the $200 premium (Force 3 480 vs. Force GT 480).

This is an even better resource as it compares the Force 3 240 to the Force GT 240:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/corsair-force-gt.html

In case it's not clear in the good articles that G50EED linked to, the important difference between asynchronous and synchronous NAND is in the details. It's just like the difference between DDR memory (Dual Data Rate), and the long gone SDR memory (Single Data Rate.) Synchronous NAND transfers two pieces of data per clock cycle, while asynchronous NAND transfers one piece of data per clock cycle.

So while the model number on the NAND chips is very close, the difference between them is significant.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the GT would be the way to go.

This is primarily true IF you are moving lots of large files around and/or using lots of incompressible data such as compressed video, large RAR files, etc. If you are not doing these things, the 2 drives will be very similar in day to day usage.

Yes i have wondered a bit. I currently have the Force 3 120 GB for my boot drive with most programs on another regular SATA drive and I've been very happy with it since the firmware upgrade to 1.3.3

ATTO says I'm getting rated speeds over 500mbs both read and write.

So I wouldn't HAVE to go for the GT but Frys electronics has both and there is only $100 difference.

I'm considering replacing my current Force 3 with the bigger drive and putting Windows 8 on it and then using the current 120 GB as another drive for more space if needed.

Windows 8 is looking so solid I don't think it would be a problem to just use it as my primary operating system.

I'm currently dual booting it and I hate going back to Windows 7. Would love to see Windows 8 on the SSD with that speed.

At any rate I thought it might be worth springing for the extra $100 to have the GT 240.

This is primarily true IF you are moving lots of large files around and/or using lots of incompressible data such as compressed video, large RAR files, etc. If you are not doing these things, the 2 drives will be very similar in day to day usage.

Archived