Corsair Community

Dual Channel Memory Kits Running As Triple Channel... is this ok?

FastLaneTech

I purchased for my old eVGA socket 775 motherboard three dual channel memory kits (bought one as a spare since I heard that the new standard coming was triple channel). Used two dual channel kits and never had a problem. I upgraded to a triple channel board and since all of the memory was purchased at the same time, they all had the same firmware revisions. I had one kit fail (glad I had the spare) and received a replacement set with different revision. I debated for about 2 years if I should overclock. The motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5) comes with a guide on how to OC to 4.0Ghz on air. I have OC'ed my CPU to 3.8Ghz (2.66Ghz stock) and have set the timings to the same as they were on dual channel specs. I am using 6 - 2GB 1600 DHX sticks (CM3X2G1600C9DHX) in a triple channel configuration at 9-9-9-24-2T timings all at 1.8v. I have the matching pairs in slots 1-2-3-4 and in slots 5-6 I have the replacement dual channel set with different firmware. Is there any concern I should have? When I try to push to 4.0Ghz my system fails. That is ok as I still am tweaking out the bugs. The concern is the RAM stability, the processor I will figure out. The system tests stable at 3.8Ghz and was wondering if I should adjust any settings on the memory. My CPU is water cooled on the Corsair H50 system; 35C on idle and 65C full load. I am slowly testing my way to 4.0Ghz (hoping to get to 4.2Ghz stable) and want to know if I should change my memory timings or settings. I have, for added measure, installed a directional fan on the RAM modules on medium speed. The RAM is staying cooled just fine as far as I can tell. Or, worse case scenario did I make a mistake thinking I could just use a dual channel kit and "upgrade" my kits to a triple channel kit? I hope I made myself clear as to my goal. Thank you for the help.

*PS: I know that Corsair will not guarantee that these modules will all work together as advertised, but looking for the best configuration without having to invest in new RAM.*

• Corsair Employee
On this platform you do not want to run the memory Voltage higher than 1.65 Volts as it can damage the CPU. I would suggest you lower the memory voltage to 1.65 Volts and if its not stable I would set the memory frequency to DDR1333.

Thanks RAM GUY! My motherboard options are 1.64v and 1.66v. I'll set it to 1.66v. The system wants to run it at 7-7-7-10-1T @ 1066 (533) 1.5v. I am configuring it to the 9-9-9-24-2T @ 1600 (800) 1.66v. Do you think tightening the timings to 8-8-8-24-2T @ 1600 (800) 1.66v would be stable on this system? I am pushing for 4.2Ghz. I am stable at 3.8Ghz and taking my time to test the stability of the max bclock and uncore freq, optimize memory freq and uncore, and then the cpu freq (all in that order). Or should I just try to keep them as close to the 1600 and timings as possible.... or just get 24G kit (6x4GB)? ;) Thanks again for your help!

• Corsair Employee

You are welcome to try anything you like but I am sorry I can only support the tested settings on any module.

And yes we do not suggest mixing memory so it is always best to get the set of modules that is the amount of memory you want in your system that are rated at the target speed you wish to run them at.

Archived