Corsair Community

Timing Settings

GigasAK57

CMP8GX3M2A1600C8- says timing should be 8 8 8 24.

My mobo reports 9 9 9 24 upon boot. Should I go and manually change to 8,8,8?

Also, is there a specific recommend voltage for my mobo? EVGA nforce 790sli ultra? The old corsair ram I had "auto'd" the voltage to 1.5, but it wouldn't work stable unless I had it set to 1.6

So if you think this ram has a best voltage, much appreciated.

Also, can I mix and match the different ram types? Different Mhz speed (1300 versus 1600), but both corsair and both dual channel (old is CM3X1024-133C9). I'm guessing this is a bad idea, but figured I would confirm.

Finally, I have bought the corsair CPU "electric water" heatsink thing (H70).

Installed with the stock thermal paste that comes on it, idleness was 45C.

wiped both process and plate clean with iso-alchohal, then applied small amount of artic silver 5, and reapplied. Same idle temp (i'm pretty confident it was a good thermal paste install). That seems so high to what others report... any ideas on why it doesn't cool more? (CPU- q9450)

I don't have anything overclocked at all.

Also, is there a specific recommend voltage for my mobo?

Use the timings and voltages printed on the lable of the memory itself. That is all you should need.

Also, can I mix and match the different ram types? Different Mhz speed (1300 versus 1600), but both corsair and both dual channel (old is CM3X1024-133C9). I'm guessing this is a bad idea, but figured I would confirm.

Not a good idea. Even if you had two kits of the exact same part number the chances of them working correctly are slim to none. Use one kit or the other , but not both.

As far as the cooler goes, can you see what tyhe pump speed is in your BIOS? Are you sure you plugged the power connector in to a PSU connector?

Your case, room temp, how you have your cooler set up, can all effect your temps. Do you have the fans pulling air in from outside the case, or are they pulling air out of the case?

The fans are pulling air in, as recommended by the cooler product.

The air in here is generally a constant 71(F)(I live in a studio in Manhattan so that's a pretty consistent room temp)

The case is huge, Thermaltake Armor+ (The biggest size), with plenty of space in there, as I only have one graphics card.

The pump is definitely connected to a PSU connector, and I mean it must be doing something to keep BF3 on full setting running without issue (which since using the new ram and setting the voltage and timing on them has been the case!!)

I just feel it should be much cooler, although it does seem to keep the cpu at 60C as the absolute max, even under full load playing multiplayer on BF 3 on full settings.

There is one other question I have that seems to be related to the new memory I just installed. While on most times the system boots without issue, and during those times of operation it runs what appears to be flawlessly... Twice now, after shutting down for the night and booting for the first time the next day I have gotten the literal BSOD as windows boots. Upon a reboot (or sometimes even 2) everything boots fine and works as normal again.

Any idea what is causing this? The error the BSOD reports is just a bunch of OOOOOCCCOOOO-XX stuff about 3 times repeated. NO english.

I just feel it should be much cooler, although it does seem to keep the cpu at 60C as the absolute max, even under full load playing multiplayer on BF 3 on full settings.

As you are finding out water cooling really shines under load. What are your idle temps like?

Twice now, after shutting down for the night and booting for the first time the next day I have gotten the literal BSOD as windows boots. Upon a reboot (or sometimes even 2) everything boots fine and works as normal again.

Any idea what is causing this? The error the BSOD reports is just a bunch of OOOOOCCCOOOO-XX stuff about 3 times repeated. NO english.

Here again that could be caused by using two separate kits of memory. You can try backing the frequency down to 1333mz and see if the BSOD and the reboots still manage to happen

By making sure the pump speed is always 100%, I've gotten idle down to 39C now.

I guess that makes sense. And you're right, the higher the load the better it keeps cool in general.

That BSOD hasn't happened in a while, but right now im using only one kit, the two sticks that came in the same package, 4gig each.

Thanks for your help thus far!

Archived