Corsair Community

Corsair H70 and Socket 2011

tambor198

I'm currently running Corsair H70 on a socket 1366 motherboard. I'm seriously considering upgrading to the new Sandy Bridge-E processor when they come out in mid-November. Does Corsair have plans in the works for some kind of adapter that will be compatible with the new socket 2011? :D:

I am in the exact same boat except I am less concerned about the socket than I am about the H70 clearing the RAM DIMMs. Take a look at all of the x79 boards being previewed. With DIMM sockets now on either side of the CPU tell me how the H70 is going to clear the DIMMs to the rear of the CPU. I'm staring at my current X58 board, H70 and Corsair Dominator DIMMs and there is no way I think the H70 will work with the LGA 2011 socket. Hopefully I am wrong. Otherwise the H70 will need to be top-mounted but that raises other issues. It looks like Corsair is going to be selling a ton of H100s because the new H80 could have the same clearance issues as the H70.

The new H70 Core model is spec'd to be compatible with socket 2011 mother boards. I'm not familiar with the H70 mounting system, but apparently the parts or changes to parts has been already taken care of, if that is required.

When you say the new H70, has there been a revision that I'm not aware of?

I am in the exact same boat except I am less concerned about the socket than I am about the H70 clearing the RAM DIMMs. Take a look at all of the x79 boards being previewed. With DIMM sockets now on either side of the CPU tell me how the H70 is going to clear the DIMMs to the rear of the CPU. I'm staring at my current X58 board, H70 and Corsair Dominator DIMMs and there is no way I think the H70 will work with the LGA 2011 socket. Hopefully I am wrong. Otherwise the H70 will need to be top-mounted but that raises other issues. It looks like Corsair is going to be selling a ton of H100s because the new H80 could have the same clearance issues as the H70.

Are you referring to the radiator clearing the DIMMs?

I see. The PC case used may affect this, a wider case may have more room between the radiator/fans, and the board. But you do have a point.

Yes, the tall heatsinks on some DIMMs (IMO, of questionable worth) likely will cause clearance issues on 2011 boards, on the left side of the CPU, when used with a rear mounted radiator like all of the H-series except the H100. Hopefully they are removable, or new, lower profile DIMMs will be necessary. Personally, I'd prefer to have the radiator mounted on the rear fan vent, rather than move it for DIMMs with tall heatsinks.

It seems I bought the origional H70 when it came with two 120mm fans. I'm assuming that the adapter for Intel won't be compatible with the socket 2011 motherboards. If this is the case, do I have any options like purchasing seperate adapter or am I out of luck?

Archived