Corsair Community

Little liquid help please

agile

OK, a few questions for the water noob. I have a Corsair HC - just setting up my system - check this out I have danger den Maze 4 CPU block, Maze 4 Chipset block, and Maze4 GPU block all with 3/8" fiitings. I thought that the HC was 3/8" but learned it wasn't when I received all the parts. Anyway, I read the forums and found solutions. Now I'd like to make some changes. I read by Steve, I believe, that you can change the coupling to 3/8" from US Plastics. Here are my questions: 1) can you connect a reducer (1/4" to 3/8" going) to HC with 1/4" tubing and then connecting that reducer to the 3/8" hosing that I have? Will this affect flow adversely, or is it usable? 2)I read about other guys adding a reservoir to their existing HC units. Obviously, this keeps water temp at a lower level since there is more heat disipation. Do you have to add another L of coolant mixture? Is this reservoir necessary if you are cooling the chipset and GPU in addtion to the CPU? 3) What is the final layout on such a system? Do you have the outflow goinig to cpu, then to chipset, then to gpu, and then to reservoir, when the water can cool, and then go back into the HC's reservoir and back through? I would appreciate the input. Thanks. Kenji (the agile)

what are these measuremeant referring to the colder-couplings? 1/4" Flow Inch; 3/8" ID This is the US plastic quick-disconnect fitting. Is this the 3/" that connects inside the H/C and the 1/4" that connnects outside to the 1/4" hose? If I am changing to 3/8" hosing don't I need 3/8" / 3/8" on the measurements? Where can I find it? I can't find it on the Us Plastics site. This infro is from Stev?delphi's posts regarding fittings ->> BACK OF THE HYDRCOOL BOX 3/8" PANEL MOUNT COUPLING WITH SHUTOFF COLDER PRODUCTS CORP P/N PLCD16006 US PLASTICS P/N: 64157 Acetal Shut-Off In Line Hose Barb Fitting 1/4" Flow Inch; 3/8" ID [url]http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...With+Shut%2DOff[/url] This is what comes stock, no? Thanks. Agile

Yes, using the reducers will work, but due to nature of HC's pump which has a low flow rate, and Danger Den's blocks which work best with high flow, you're not getting optimal performance from the system.

Agile, The CPC quick disconnects you need will be the 3/8 ID couplings for the new 3/8 ID hose. The male 3/8 ID fittings will fit the back of the HC unit. I did the same thing you are doing and used these fittings. My entire system is 3/8 ID outside the HC unit. Your system connection configuration is almost the same as mine except that I went to the GPU from the CPU and last was the N/B. so it shouold look something like this...HC>CPU>GPU>N/B>RESERVOIR>HC. The top connector on the back of the HC will be the "OUT" and the other is "IN". YCH has a point with the blocks. I decided to add the reservoir due to the extra blocks in hopes this would help with the temps. Hope this helps. If you cannot get the CPC couplers, I have another source. Marc

Thanks for the help. Just to let you know. I have an Alienware 51m laptop that is pretty sweet and an Alienware Aurora desktop with the AMD FX51, 2GB mem, 2 WD 10,000 RPM Raptors, and an ATI Radeon x800 XT - pretty nice especially since my life centers on Halo much to neglect of work, school, and girlfriend. The PC I am building is a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case with an Asus A8V mobo, 1 GB Corsair XMS 4400 550mhz RAM, 2 160 GB HDs in RAID (not set up yet), ATI Radeon X800 XT, Corsair HC 2000 with Danger Den Maze 4 blocks. I am waiting on the graphics card and hmmmm, one HD fan and another front intake fan. Everything is pretty much set. This has really been a help. You can study all of this water cooling but until you get down and dirty and have design issues and problems surface, you don't quite learn. I was tired and cranky today and after realizing the fitting on the HC were 1/4" and everything else I had was 3/8", I almost reordered everything. Dumbass. Excuse the language. I think the flow will be much better considering the system with 3/8" Oh, is the reservoir on the inlet side or at the end of the outlet stage, meaning is the resevoir the last stop "hot" coolant goes before going into the HC? Also, do you have a URL for the 3/8" fittings. I can't seem to find it at US Plastics or Frozencpu.com. Thanks for the help. I'll send picks when it is done, although it will be quite modest to the ones I have seen, especially yours, H2COOL. Your advice has been a godsend. Speak to you soon. Agile

agile, Bio-Hazard beat me to it. [url]http://www.mcmaster.com/[/url] is where I got my connectors. This is by far one of the best sites when you are designing things or need parts. If they don't have it, it may not exist. Anyway, so much for the touting....go to the site and go to page 148. The couplers you will most likely need are part numbers 51545K95 and 51545K74. Looking at the dimensions can be a little comfusing but make sure the "tube size" is 3/8 ID. if you search other pages after 148 you will find more connectors made out of other materials etc. Hope this helps and yes the res is at the end of the loop. Hope this helps...I would love to see any pics you have when it is time. Marc

Yes, please post pictures and a history of your setup. I had made a forum thread just for this. :D: This is a way cool way to show off the work you have done and to inspire others as well! :biggrin: [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27993[/url] Stev

Thanks for the help and guidance. The only thing I am really waiting on for now is the video card - ATI Radeon x800 XT - which I got from Gateway with a coupon for about $391. Great deal. Unfortunately, I order it about a week ago and have to wait until Aug 2 (maybe) for it to come. UNtil then you will have to waiti with bated breath to see the amateurism of my little water-cooled putt-putt PC. Again thanks! Agile

Archived