Corsair Community

Corsair Force Series GT SSD - Lock-Ups and Boot Errors

flarosie

Good evening,

I've had my Corsair Force Series GT SSD for just over a month and for the most part it's been great, but every now and again I've run into a few issues.

The other day I went out for a few hours and came back to the following: courtesy of my iphone, sorry for the crappy quality! A hard reboot was the only thing I could do at this point...and I know that can't be good for my system.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time it's happened either. It seems to be quite random and I'm not sure what's causing it. I checked all the connections and everything seems just fine. I even tried swapping SATA connectors but it didn't seem to change anything.

I'm usually doing nothing more than simple web-browsing or Youtube surfing when this problem occurs.

Another really weird glitch I'm running into is my entire system just locking up.

I could be doing anything at all. Playing a game on Steam, talking on Skype, browing Firefox...everything just completely freezes. I don't exactly crash...but EVERYTHING is unresponsive.

It's especially weird when I can continue to talk to my friend on Skype but I notice the video is frozen and I can't click anything. It's basically as if someone pasted a screenshot on my desktop. There's not a dang thing I can do! Ctrl-alt-del is entirely useless too. The only solution is for me to do a hard reboot here too.

I'm not too computer savvy so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this issue on my own.

I've gone into the BIOS and made sure my SSD receives first boot priority. I only have my Windows 7 and my Adobe CS5 installed on my SSD as well, so it's not overloaded. I have about 15gb to spare of the 60gb total.

Any helpful suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :o:

Rosie

PS: I apologize if this issue (or something quite similar) has been brought up a hundred times before.

Ok... maybe I'm missing something obvious here but I've been preparing my system for this firmware update for the past hour (backing up everything to my external HDD basically) and I'm reading through the PDF I printed out and it says "Right click the program "Corsair_FieldUpdater_v1.1.exe"... but where is this file even located?

I'm assuming this is a step I'd do after my fresh install of Windows and immediately upon reaching my desktop. Is that right?

I opened up my Force GT 60GB.zip and the only thing in there is a PDF of the instructions I printed out. Am I overlooking something amazingly obvious?

Please let me know, thank you.

Rosie

No. There's folders in the zip file, not just the PDF. Oopen the folders to find the exe. Run it, install the new firmware, then do the secure erase and install windows.

Whoops, well I feel sheepish...Sometimes if I don't extract files then I can't view them correctly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p:

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

I just wanted to post a small update here since it's been about 2 weeks since my reformatting and sadly some problems still persist.

I was actually greeted this morning with the dreaded "Reboot and select proper device..." screen. It took me 3 reboot attempts before I was able to get past the "Initializing..." screen and have my SSD and HDD become recognized. This is actually more problematic than just a gamer not being able to play; I actually work from home as a graphic designer, so it's actually a huge deal to have these things happening.

The farthest I was able to reach during my original 2 hard reboots attempts was a frozen screen that displayed: "Marvell 88SE911xx Adapter - BIOS Version 1.0.0.1025. Initializing..."

Usually, when this screen pops up, it stays frozen/idle for maybe 1 or 2 seconds before both my SSD and HDD are recognized and my computer boots into Windows.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now, when I reformated nearly 2 weeks ago, I DID update the BIOS.

I used the following link (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P7P55D-E+PRO&p=1&s=32) and updated to the "P7P55D-E PRO 1602 BIOS" from my original 0610 version.

The only difference I noticed was when I boot up the computer my screen is different, but I'm sure it goes much deeper than that. (Please forgive my ignorance! I'd rather not fiddle with BIOS settings any more than is required.) :o:

--------------------------------------------------------------

I read in my print-out of "Corsair Force GT Firmware Update Instructions" that... "If your update fails using the Marvell controller, you will need to update using the chipset based drive controller on your motherboard. This applies to SATA2 and SATA3 controllers."

Again, ignorance... but if anybody could please point out just what this means and if it applies to me I'd be very appreciative. I ran into quite a scare originally when I reformatted where I could NOT get past the "Initializing..." screen, and I thought I had toasted my SSD and/or HDD somehow. I'd rather not have a repeat occurrence!

Thanks in advance for your help and patience. :o:

Rosie

"If your update fails using the Marvell controller, you will need to update using the chipset based drive controller on your motherboard. This applies to SATA2 and SATA3 controllers."

This means that if the update failed it is recommended to plug the SSD to the Intel Chipset instead of the Marvell Controller.

When you were re-formatting did you secure erase it?

"If your update fails using the Marvell controller, you will need to update using the chipset based drive controller on your motherboard. This applies to SATA2 and SATA3 controllers."

This means that if the update failed it is recommended to plug the SSD to the Intel Chipset instead of the Marvell Controller.

When you were re-formatting did you secure erase it?

Good evening, I navigated back to my motherboard's download page and grabbed the Chipset available there, but after firing up the .exe file I got a prompt telling me:

"This computer currently contains software version 9.1.1.1023, which is newer than the version you are about to install. Are you sure you want to overwrite the current software with the older version 9.1.1.1020?"

Natually I picked No, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Is there something specific I'm needing to download and install for my motherboard in order to overcome this "Marvell controller" issue?

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and my motherboard download page is here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55DE_PRO/#download

And regarding the secure erase: I've had my SSD for barely over a month and have reformatted it twice. Nothing fancy, just the normal reformatting to try and get things running properly. So I suppose you couldn't call that a "secure erase", but I didn't think it was necessary since all I ever installed on it were my Windows 7 and Adobe CS5 programs.

Also did you update the settings in the BIOS? I have the deluxe board of what you have & the damn thing has a mind of its own & changes my boot order.

I sure have, but putting my SSD first in boot priority won't get me past the "Marvell... Initializing..." screen for some reason.

I took some pictures with my camera of how my BIOS currently looks. I haven't touched a thing outside of the Main and Boot areas.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/pa260056b.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/pa260057.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/573/pa260058.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/257/pa260059.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/406/pa260060.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/pa260061g.jpg/

Please let me know if there's any additional information you need. I've already frozen/locked up twice this week and I'd really like to get this issue resolved.

Thank you! :o:

Rosie

I have a similar board P7P55D-E LX and much the same problems. Do you have the SSD in the 6GB port? and the speed turned up? If you highlight the corsair drive and hit the + key it will move it up a notch and then it will be visible in the boot screen. Hope this helps a little.

On the boot page of your bios under 'hard disc drives' set the ssd as first. That's the only thing I could see.

I get the "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot media in selected boot device and press a key" message whenever I swap my SSD to boot first. I'm not sure what I should do...it's sounding like this SSD simply isn't compatible with my motherboard. :(:

I have a similar board P7P55D-E LX and much the same problems. Do you have the SSD in the 6GB port? and the speed turned up? If you highlight the corsair drive and hit the + key it will move it up a notch and then it will be visible in the boot screen. Hope this helps a little.

I'm not entirely sure what this means. I tried to navigate in the BIOS but I'm thinking this isn't where you meant. How can I make sure my SSD is installed in the 6GB port and the speed is turned up? Frooze again a little bit ago, it seems like this problem is getting worse!

I was just looking at my Boot Device Priority picture and you'll notice that my SSD isn't on there anywhere. As a matter of fact, it's not even available to be selected on that screen. I'm only offered the 3 choices shown (My CD-ROM drive, my other HDD, and Removable Device).

Could this be what's causing me so many crashes and freezes?

I get the "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot media in selected boot device and press a key" message whenever I swap my SSD to boot first. I'm not sure what I should do...it's sounding like this SSD simply isn't compatible with my motherboard. :(:

I get the same thing. Very annoying. Go into the bios , make the ssd the first "hard drive" in the boot area then F10, save go back into the bios, check that it is still first. It's in the 'hard disc drives' NOT boot order. When you have made all your changes go back one more time & check.

The 6Gb ports are gray. At the bottom right of the board just in a bit from the edge.. The SATA3 ports where your SSD is not showing up are in the middle right side of the board. (hopefully it's the same as mine.)

Going to reboot now & check my bios.

Archived