Corsair Community

need opinions on supposed PSU voltage "fluctuations"

Glanzer

You said it Peanutz! That is so true!

I mentioned a UPS, since they can cause PSs to act strangely, and even limit their power output.

You can monitor your memory usage with the Windows Performance or Resource monitors, while running your game, and see how much is used. If you are maxed-out of memory, your game crashing would be likely caused by that.

Very weird about your Win 7 disk, the 32 and 64 bit thing. Don't know what to tell you about that one...

• 3 weeks later...
Alright, so I received my new power supply today and hooked it up with no problems. Like everyone thought, the power supply is not the issue. Within an hour of playing World of Tanks I began to experience the same random crashes. I'm beginning to believe this is a motherboard issue like several people have mentioned.

• Corsair Employee

I have spent the last 30-45 Min reading your posts and everyone eases and I agree and think that replacing the MB may solve the problem but I would suggest speaking with Gigabyte and see what they say. But a few things I would check from some things you mentioned.

1. Check the stop error code or codes at http://www.microsoft.com/technet.

2. You stated you have a 1 Terra byte HD do you have the whole HDD as the C drive or split into smaller partitions and how large is the C partition. And what is the version of your O.S.

3. Have you tried another HDD with a fresh install?

4. Do you have the latest MB BIOS and chipset drivers installed?

5. do you have the latest Video driver installed and have you tried going back a version or two on the Video driver version? Does it make any difference?

6 What are the CPU and MB temps when you see the system fail?

6A. Does the MB have active cooling on the North bridge? How is your case cooling?

Just a few things I would check with that type of symptom don't get me wrong here but many times it is a simple thermal issue with this type of symptom. Have you noticed any part on the MB that seems hotter than others?

I looked up the error codes and saw that they were pretty generic "Application Hang" errors. The HDD is on just one, not split into many different portions. I have not tried another HDD, but have reformatted several times. The OS is the most up to date version as are all of the video and MB drivers. The temperatures remain stable, even at the moment of crash. I am unsure if the MB has active cooling, but the case has two fans in addition to a fan on the VGA and Processor. The only side of the case that is against something is the only solid side where no air flow was present before. I haven't noticed any part of the MB that is particularly hot. Anything in particular I should be looking for? I've sent the MB out for an RMA, so it'll be a little while before I get the rig back up and running to check.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you aware of the buggy NVidia drivers for the 470 and the 480? Grab a copy of Driver Sweeper install it but don't run it yet. Uninstall All of the Video driver suite one at a time uninstalling the actual video driver last. Reboot into Safe mode; run Driver Sweeper. Reboot into normal Windows. Run a registry cleaner. Reboot. Once back in Windows, Do a custum install of the Nvidia driver suite. Do NOT install either the NVHDAudio driver or the NVidea updating software. Took a bit to figure it out, they're buggy as (explicative deleted) with certain chipset drivers and/or chipset driver versions. Freezes, Blue Screen Crashes, and complete "no warning" restarts.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

• 4 years later...

I had a reboot problem Evga told me to check the voltage using the motherboard monitor system and promptly replaced my G2 1000 w power supply for a fluctuation from 12.096 - 12.000. They said that was too much being over the .05 %After getting the replacement unit no more reboot problem the power supply stays at a constant 12.096. It does make a difference when the power supply has more than a .05% fluctuation.:evil: Evga was satisfied with my motherboard monitoring system for there evaluation of the supply and promptly cross shipped me a new one plus paid the shipping both ways .

Thank you EVGA.

Archived