Corsair Community

Noisy Fan on 600T Case

Ken429

I just hooked up my second 600T case and discovered that the front fan is noisy at even minimum speed. When I increase the speed it makes a high pitch humming sound. The first 600T case has been in use for several months and I have no problem with it. What do I have to do to get a replacement front 200MM fan for the new 600T case?

You'll notice links to the left. The bottom is "Request an RMA." It'll take a day or two for them to get back with you... Maybe more with the weekend coming up.

EDIT: I just RMA'd my top exhaust fan. It was having issues, and they have been excellent thus far. In the mean time I have the stock fans that came with my H70 acting as exhaust.

Corsair did a fine job of getting me a new fan, thank you. That's the good news. The bad news is while I was waiting for the new fan (and after reading all the complaints in the forum) I removed the old one and ran it out of the case - guess what, no noise! Same problems with the new fan - quiet when running even full speed on the desktop but "howls" when installed in case.

I know I am spoiled since I have two 600T cases. The first one I purchased in April of 2011 and this one I purchased in August of 2011. It would appear that Corsair has upped the fan speed on the newer cases. That's good for the top fan which is quiet even at high speed on the new case but the front fan wants to howl at any speed.

Can I mix and match the fans - remove the old case top fan and use it for the front fan on the new case and use the new case front fan for the top fan on the old case? Or is it still possible to buy the "old" slower fans? Or is there a gaget that I can use to slow the front fan down. I really don't think the Hard Drives need all that air blowing across them but I do like the increased air movement on the top of the case. Any other suggestions would be appreciated short of removing the mesh/grill in front of the fan.

Mixing the fans isn't an issue. I have one spare "old" fan if you'd like to swap them?

There ARE little gadgets to slow them down! When I bought my Noctua PF12's each came with TWO inline adapters. They're just resistors that lower the power. Thus, lowering the speed the fan turns. They're useless to me, and if you'd like I can send two of them to you. I bought SIX Noctuas, so I have plenty :) Whisper me your email address, and I'll send you a pic of what they look like.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tag on to this thread since the other one was deleted.

So what was your solution to this. I just got my new 600T SE two days ago and I'm a bit disappointed in the noise the front intake fan makes. It's whiny, here is a video I made.

Is that how the fan should sound? My haf932's fans aren't high pitched like that one.

Suggestions?

Edit: Maybe they just are noisy fans. They push much more air then the haf 932's fans and when you put something close to them (my hand and in the front fan's scenario the mesh) where they pull air they start making noise.

The newer fans do push a lot more air. I was lucky, I ended taking one of the fans (the top one) from an older 600T case and swapping it with the front fan on the new case. The older fans do not make the whining sound when installed in the front. If you remove the noisy fan and run it on the desktop it is quiet so it has something to do with the front grill. I also installed one of the resistors mentioned above on the top fan to quiet it down on the system in my den.

Looks like Corsair over reacted to the fan issue. People were complaining, including me, that the original 600T case fans did not move enough air and the fan controller had little effect on the amount of air moved. I guess their engineers did not notice the noise level on the front grill when the new fans were tested! Short of cutting the front grill out has anybody come up with a whine killer idea?

Here is my followup testing:

Alright I made two other videos. The first shows and compares the noise differences between corsairs 200m and one from the haf 932 case.

The second video is a comparison in noise level after installing some silicone grommets.

Here are all three for comparison in one post.

Out of the case noise level:

Testing fan position, speed and against a CoolerMaster fan.

Corsair fan after putting on some silicone grommets instead of the hard rubber it comes with.

Not sure what I'll do after this...maybe leave it the way it is.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

Archived