Corsair Community

R60 issue

grimaldo

Yes I do realize that the drive is discontinued. However, in my experience (which is extensive) a drive is usually replaced with the same model regardless of the current sales status of the drive. I've returned hundreds, maybe thousands, of such devices. In fact, I've only ever had one drive that was discontinued not be replaced with the exact same model. In that case the manufacturer (Quantum) paid me $100 (about 3x the actual value of the drive at the time of RMA) instead because they could not replace it properly with the same model. So, from my perspective it is highly unusual to have a drive replaced with a different model. Almost unheard of, but I think I've heard anecdotes. So, no, I did not realize the drive would be replaced with a different model. It is different from industry standard practice, and I had no way to know Corsair has different practices than other drive manufacturers.

Thanks for finally answering my question about what was going to be done to resolve this problem. I do feel a bit more confident that an RMA will resolve the problems I'm having now. It also explains why there are no responses or resolutions to the threads on the R60.

Thank You, Yellowbeard.

Regards,

grim

That's shocking that you have had thousands of RMAs. I know a computer store owner locally that did not have that many devices returned in all of 2009 or 2010.

Keep in mind also that solid state device technology evolves MUCH faster than that of a rotational HDD manufacturer that has long been out of business. It's the same with RAM. NAND flash or memory ICs evolve MUCH faster than platter technology.

That's why we have the following warranty policy:

Obsolete or Discontinued Products

Whenever possible, an obsolete or discontinued product will be replaced with the same product. If Corsair is unable to replace your obsolete or discontinued product with the same product, Corsair will replace that product with a new product of similar function and equal or greater value.

WARRANTY INFO

I believe most tech companies have a similar policy, an example would be XFX, I had an AGP 7600GT, it died and they replaced it with a PCI-e 8600GT, of course only after asking me, and after the 8600GT died a year or two later they replaced it with a 9500GT, they of course will try to replace it with the same product if they have it, but if not they will replace it with the closest match.

@Yellowbeard - yes, likely thousands, but I haven't counted. I've been doing this a long time. Actually, I likely reached a thousand or more by my second computer industry job, which was for (at the time) Seagate's largest customer. Later, Maxtor's largest customer also (they were separate companies then). A computer store would have been our customer. It was the largest manufacturer of PC peripherals in the world at the time, as well as the industry leader in microcomputer performance. This may be my personal drive, but my personal equipment is not the entire breadth of my experience.

I'm not complaining about the replacement. I just wanted to know.

@TheOne687 - Yeah, most companies have a policy like that. I've just never had one exercise the policy. As I said, I have heard of it, just never experienced it. If there had been info about his policy being applied to the R60 posted in response to the other R60 posts on this forum, I would not have even posted here once.

The lack of forthright, forthcoming, timely communication has been what my (non-technical) complaints have been about. Now that it is clear what the status of the R60 is, and what will be done to resolve my problem, I'm satisfied. It all started with a simple question. It just took a lot of effort to get an answer.

Archived