Corsair Community

H80 install issues

Neil1454

Hi,

I've recently purchased the H80 Water Cooler.

I own an Asus P5Q Deluxe board and an Intel Q6600 Chip

http://i.neoseeker.com/neo_image/160118/article/p5q_deluxe/mb.jpg

The silver (I think their capacitors) around the CPU block was obstructing the install when I first installed it.

However no matter how I install the CPU block/pump it does not seem to get close enough to the CPU to cool it.

Here is what I've done...

1: Installed the back plate. Ensured the holes aligned up to the board's holes.

2: Screwed in the double ended screws (the 4 with the same screw length on both sides) and ensured they was tight.

3: Placed the cpu/pump onto the bracket.

4: Used the 4 thumb bolts to fit the pump in place. I tightened these until there was no way they would tighten anymore.

I instantly had high CPU temps. Giving be BSOD and also boot up temp warnings/PC switch offs.

When I removed the CPU block to investigate only a small part of the pre applied paste had made contact with the CPU itself!!

I then tried to turn the cpu/pump around realising there was obstruction.

(after cleaning the pre applied paste and applying some MX-3 paste.)

Same thing seems to happen, the CPU/pump just will not meet the CPU completely no matter how much I try.

I'm not unsure if the bracked on the pump that the screws go through might have slightly bend on one side (possible) it does not look like it is the case. But I'm guessing only a very slight bend would cause issues.

Also the back bracket on the board and the screws that screw into it seem a little worn due to 4-5 attempts at installing it.

I just don't know why I'm having to many issues. I've done full water kit builds from scratch without any problems!!

Help please! *holds head in hands*

I've seen this post before installing H80 in my asus P5B Deluxe but ... after buying H80.

I've seen that capacitors in P5B are in the same distance than P5Q so I'll don't try to install H80.

This is a big commercial problem because the shop doesn't want H80 back. :[pouts:

I hope to use H80 with a future PC but I'm not sure.

Better if you have a list of mother boards that can mount H80.

Or you can add some little copper plate just like http://italian.alibaba.com/product-gs-img/red-cooling-copper-shim-heatsink-for-laptop-cpu-gpu-25mm-25mm-1-0mm-433598675.html just to add some mm between CPU and H80 (of course with thermal compound).

FF

This Is the exact same problem I've been having. :mad:

I own an ASUS P5Q-E and after multiple attempts have not been able to get my PC to POST correctly unless at stock and even then It double boots and the CPU hits 40+ (Idle) an 80 while running anything demanding.

Had the same problem of only a quarter of the CPU having the thermal paste on It showing that proper contact between the CPU and cooler just Isnt happening.

So I'm now left with no choice but to re-Install my previous Noctua cooler THAT worked and box up the H80 hopping that a future motherboard will fit It. :roll:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes, see if installing it sideways will make a full contact on the CPU.

Submit an RMA request and let us know that you need a new mounting kit for the H80.

Installed sideways and works fine with just three screws, thank you very much

have also submitted an RMA and a new back plate kit has been sent for free thank you!

I am sorry but you are correct I just checked the H60, H80 and H100 will not work with this MB but our H50 will work on this MB. ASUS Has caps in the keep out area around the CPU.

HI tried to install H 80 on asus saber tooth mother board, CPU is i7 2600k, tried everything as per the book but I don't what seems to be the problem . I get CPU temp as 97 c on idle and it's switching of due to high CPU temp, tried with stock heatsink . Whic is ok with 42 .c , will H80 work in saber tooth board. Pls replay

ASRock P67 Extreme 6. Copper plate on the H80 may not be making full contact with the CPU. I've tried everything I can think of. I just can't tell.

If it is contacting the CPU fully, which it may very well be, then I can tell you that after a gaming session I'm seeing spikes of up to 98 degrees on my poor 2600k.

The cooling lines to the CPU and radiator are also hot when I see this happen. I can't risk the CPU any longer so I put the stock Intel CPU fan back on for now. The stock fan still gets up to 80 degrees after a gaming session, but at least its not spiking to dangerous levels.

Granted, I'm running a 590GTX which gets the inside of the case very hot, but still the H80 should be able to handle that. The stock fan does.

Suggestions?

Considering RMA but at this point I'd rather request a refund as it does not appear the product works reliably with my setup. This is my first H2O cooling experience and I'm not thrilled.

• Corsair Employee

There are a couple of reasons why your CPU temps are extremely high while using any of our Hydro series coolers. Most common ones are poor contact between the the CPU and coldplate. Another one is a faulty pump or a pump that is not running within spec.

Poor contact: Check your thermal paste and see if any part of it is untouched, this is a good indication that there is an uneven pressure between four thumbscrews that holds the pump on top of the CPU. Try re applying thermal paste and secure the pump by tightening the thumb screws on an "X" pattern.

Faulty pump: Go into BIOS and see if you can see the pump's rpm and if it says "0" or if its way below the spec'd rpm then it is possible that you have bad pump. You can also feel the pump and see if there is a slight vibration coming from it.

...Poor contact: Check your thermal paste and see if any part of it is untouched, this is a good indication that there is an uneven pressure between four thumbscrews that holds the pump on top of the CPU. Try re applying thermal paste and secure the pump by tightening the thumb screws on an "X" pattern.

Tried this literally half a dozen times with the same results. Looks ok to me.

Faulty pump: Go into BIOS and see if you can see the pump's rpm and if it says "0" or if its way below the spec'd rpm then it is possible that you have bad pump. You can also feel the pump and see if there is a slight vibration coming from it.

I did see the BIOS fan/pump rpm readout will sometimes read up to 3600 rpm and sometimes it does drop to zero actually then picks back up. Its never a steady rpm for very long. Guess I should RMA.

HI tried to install H 80 on asus saber tooth mother board, CPU is i7 2600k, tried everything as per the book but I don't what seems to be the problem . I get CPU temp as 97 c on idle and it's switching of due to high CPU temp, tried with stock heatsink . Whic is ok with 42 .c , will H80 work in saber tooth board. Pls replay

I use a H60 on my SaberTooth P67 mother board with an i7-2600K, and it mounts and works fine on it, no issues at all using the standard mounting configuration. The H80 uses the same pump as the H60, but includes the fan controller, so it should fit fine on your board. You must have made a mistake in the mounting, or you are have a pump problem. Can you see what the pump's speed is in the UEFI, or with other software? It should be at ~2000 RPM.

Archived