Corsair Community

Corsair H60 pump noise

solaris389

Hi. Just reinstalled my H60 and the hdd like noise in the pump is back. Strange thing is, when I tilt my pc case about 25° on its side, the pump gets completely silent. Any idea if I can fix this? RMA is out of the question. I live in Belgium and sending the h60 to Corsair would cost almost the same as buying a new one.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to get pissed now. My H60's pump had this extremely annoying noise, so I requested a new one from the retailer (easier and faster than sending it to Corsair). I mean dude, I couldn't even be in the same room. Anyway, I got the new one, installed it ... and it made the same damn noise – though a little bit less intensive.

I tried putting my computer on its side and leaving it running that way for about 6 hours. I tried holding the radiator above the pump and gently tapping it, as suggested by RAM GUY. And it just got worse! After all those hours I spent packing it, waiting for a new one, cleaning the CPU, and mounting the new one, I'm back at square one.

Worth mentioning is that the new one is of another batch/revision. I can tell because the screws have notches – the ones on the first one were completely flat. It also contains parts for mounting it on an LGA2011 socket, which I don't think the first one did.

Using my motherboard's UEFI to lower the fan speed to Level 8 instead of Level 9 makes it silent and doesn't dramatically affect temps. But I want to be able to run it at full speed. I want to be able to use it without having to rely on motherboard functionality. Also, a faulty device is impossible to sell, should I want to.

I could RMA it again and get another noisy device. And then another one, and then another one...

So the only option I actually have is keeping it and letting it run on Level 8 fan speed. Will doing so negatively affect it over time?

I'm perfectly happy with my Corsair PSU, Corsair RAM, and Corsair SSD, but I'm really disappointed with the H60, sorry.

How can I make my pump go a little bit slower? Connected to the POWER connector on my mainboard, don't know a thing about electricity.

You should connect it to a chassis fan header (CHA_FAN1 etc). At least that's what I have to do on my ASRock motherboard in order to be able to adjust the speed.

I have now connected my pump to a fan header which allows me to control the fanspeed through speedfan. Here are my findings:

100% : hdd rattle sound (low)

95% : hdd rattle sound (low - same as 100%)

90% : hdd rattle sound (louder)

85% : hdd rattle sound incredibly loud (grinding like noise)

80% : silent

Any explanation to this??

I used 4-pin molex pass-through because that's how H100 is powered. Your unit is powered with 3-pin motherboard connector, so you need to use that or a fan controller.

In 3-pin however, you'd put the diode on the RED wire, not the yellow one like in 4-pin molex.

Hello. I had the same really loud problem with the H60.

I didn't have the sides on my case and it was so loud I could barely sleep in the next room.

Lowering my fan speed to 80% made it completely silent and it's not seeming to effect temperatures much while overclocking.

• 1 month later...

I would not say that it's a hdd noise. I would say it's a noise just like bearings are bad on old fan.

my testing:

4200rpm (100%,11.85V): disturbing rattling noise

3300rpm (10.35V) : even worse rattling noise. kinda starts to remind hdd, but very constant. Still i would say that my old 40x40 video card fan is failing by the sound.

2700rpm (9.2V): undetectably silent

If I go to 4200 and down to 3300 then it rattles as described above.

Now..if i got down to 2700rpm and go back up to 3300rpm, then it stays quet.

I have a digital fan controller so these are the steps I have. I made voltage measurements with multimeter.

And yes - tilting the case so that pump is logo up is also quiet @fullspeed... so wtf? am I suppose to hold my case horizontally now?

I have had this H60 for 3 days and it made this sound from day one.

At least three of you are talking about pump noise, not fan noise. Then again, if the H60's PWM fan is not connected to the mother boards PWM fan header, it is possible that the fan is running faster than necessary, and you do have excess fan noise.

Assuming you have H60's, the H60's PWM, four pin fan should be connected to the PWM Fan header on your mother board, and the pump connected to either:

1. A three pin fan header on your mother board, optimally the Power/PWR Fan header, which supplies a full 12V constantly.

2. A molex four pin to three pin fan adapter, with the molex connector connected directly to your power supply. Ideally the molex to three pin adapter would have an extra single wire with a three pin fan connector, that can be plugged into any Chassis fan connector, so you can monitor the pump's speed.

Having said that, assuming you do have pump noise, a common cure for that is lowering the voltage to the pump. That can be done several ways, including connecting the pump to a manual fan speed control, connecting the pump to a mother board chassis fan header, and setting the speed with the boards or other software, which may be difficult, or by a method that wlw has been providing to some users.

I would suggest connecting the H60 as intended by Corsair, and then determine if you have issues, and then take it from there.

• 5 months later...

32-37 idle and (50-60 after 2hours of bf3)

The fan that came with cooler im gona replace as i can get a silent one with better cfm value

found 2 silent fans and have one on cpu 1 as u should and one on mb and set temp on 60 on other one and now i have 34 idle 52 load, as my gfx card makes my case go hot and temps go there after so this is good fix.

Now i have pump speed 3930 and silent as well.

But one thing if i buy items they should work? and not have to tweek to work for me??

Have used other brand and installed it on atleast 10cpu and always silent, cool after several hours of playing.

• 1 month later...

I installed a H60 a few days ago, and the pump is making sounds similar to the ones described. Every 5 seconds or so, it makes the 'hard drive' sound. Although sometimes, it does not for a few hours.

I want to RMA it, since this is unacceptable from a noise point of view, and worries me that it (cavitation/air bubble/whatever) is causing undue wear on the pump - the last thing I want is a failure or even leak!

So my question is... how likely is it that a replacement will have the same fault? From this thread it sounds as if its a very common problem.

Archived