Corsair Community

Vengeance and Noctua NH-D14

TomGu

Hmm, according to Noctua, the NH-D14 fan extends 89.5mm from the center of CPU socket. I have got no board yet and can't measure (have you?), but I'm afraid it might cover up all memory slots... No idea whether that mainboard is LGA 1155 socket, but take a look at the pic here.

Corsair advises quite strongly against mixing memory kits. Also, if you put LP in first two slots, and if I understand the ram channel thing correctly, you'd be splitting the kits between memory channels as well (no idea if it adds to potential problems with "mixing kits").

Edit in: yup, NH-D14 with fan will pretty much cover up all slots - here on Asus Sabertooth P67. You could only try to move the fan upwards.

Hmm, according to Noctua, the NH-D14 fan extends 89.5mm from the center of CPU socket. I have got no board yet and can't measure (have you?), but I'm afraid it might cover up all memory slots... No idea whether that mainboard is LGA 1155 socket, but take a look at the pic here.

Corsair advises quite strongly against mixing memory kits. Also, if you put LP in first two slots, and if I understand the ram channel thing correctly, you'd be splitting the kits between memory channels as well (no idea if it adds to potential problems with "mixing kits").

i ordered the same kits, twice, so i can get 16gigs total, same exact pairs.

it should work right?. and from what i can see the Noctua takes up one of my slots.

EDIT!!

in the manual for my mobo says put the ram in DMM_a2 and DIMM_b2. for 2 sticks, so it should work, with just 8 gigs. (one of my kits)

Edit in: yup, NH-D14 with fan will pretty much cover up all slots - here on Asus Sabertooth P67. You could only try to move the fan upwards.

hmmm even on my p8p67 deluxe?

what if the fan is facing the back of the case instead the front?

also my case is an antec 1200

• 2 weeks later...
I can confirm that the Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow and the Corsair A70 are all incompatible with Vengeance Memory on a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3.
And what about MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)? I need only two slots for my two memory sticks, so will Noctua NH-D14 cover all four of them or there will be space for my set of ram?

I can confirm that the Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow and the Corsair A70 are all incompatible with Vengeance Memory on a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3.

And what about MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)? I need only two slots for my two memory sticks, so will Noctua NH-D14 cover all four of them or there will be space for my set of ram?

The safest would be to take measurments yourself if you got the board already. According to Noctua drawing, with the fan mounted, the setup extends for 89 mm from the center of CPU socket. The cooler block alone - for 62 mm.

If not, here somebody has posted photos of NH-D14 installed on ASUS Sabertooth p67 nearly perfectly illustrating the problem - with "properly" mounted fan, the whole setup extends over all 4 memory slots. One can try to push the fan higher - the cooler block itself covers just the first slot.

On the picture of MSI model you named, to my eye the memory slots seem to even be placed a couple of millimeters nearer to the outline of CPU socket on PCB then on ASUS P67. Meaning, the block itself would be awfully close to, if not interfering outright, with the second slot. Hope this helps, and consider waiting a bit longer and getting Vengeance LP (low profile) RAM, I'd say... They'll fit under cooler and the fan.

Unfortunately I didn't do the research required and I'm sitting here just finding out that my new D14 won't fit over my 16 gigs of Vengeance ... Doh !

My last box was an Asus M3N72D mobo with ******** memory and the D14 fit no problem (I did have to move fans around) and allowed excellent OC'ing on air, so I went with the same cooler for this build.

Its not the fans that won't allow fitting it's the actual fins. I'm thinking if I trim off the bottom 3 or 4 rows of fins on the side by the ram it'll fit and I doubt that will adversely effect cooling.

Just pondering options right now, I'll let y'all know !

Well after some googling i found that a lot of people recommand removing the ram heatsinks as they don't do much since this style ram doesn't produce a lot of heat. Long as you will have good air flow in the case then it shouldn't hurt. Google removing ram heatsinks and read post yourself. Doesn't seem to hurt anything at all.

It's odd to me how the only blame assigned here is being aimed at Corsair. We made memory that a large amount of customers wanted. This means tall heat spreaders.

Yet no one is faulting the cooler maker for making an enourmous 9lb CPU cooler or the MOBO maker for putting the memory slots so close to the CPU.

Tall memory isn't standard these days. But large coolers that cover partialy or entirely the memory slots are widely spread. And tall heatspreaders on RAM are mostly (if not only) for looks/aesthetics. So I think the best choice would be to make the tall heatspreaders removable such as the Dominator GT's.

It's a pity I can't use Vengeance memory or I'll have to switch my CPU cooler. I was planning on going for 2 x 4GB's and Vengeance would be perfect if not physically impossible :(

So, over here we can dremel the Noctua, and not the Vengeance. :) :) :)

I believe that dremeling the top of the RAM heatspreader will void the warranty. No?

Well after some googling i found that a lot of people recommand removing the ram heatsinks as they don't do much since this style ram doesn't produce a lot of heat. Long as you will have good air flow in the case then it shouldn't hurt. Google removing ram heatsinks and read post yourself. Doesn't seem to hurt anything at all.

By removing the RAM heatspreader, warranty = bye bye?

Tall memory isn't standard these days.
Almost all of the major memory manufacturers make some sort of tall heat spreader. Except for one or two that i know of.

I love it when people say" heh, look they did it on the internet, it must be okay!" You do what you want but if you remove the heatsinks you are taking a risk in not only damaging the PCB but also ripping the chips off the pcb. And yes say goodbye to any warranty too. I don't know about most of you all, but i dont have the money to gamble on damaging components. Finding another solution is much cheaper and all it takes is a little homework.

I believe that dremeling the top of the RAM heatspreader will void the warranty. No?

By removing the RAM heatspreader, warranty = bye bye?

Yws, both of these will void your warranty.

Almost all of the major memory manufacturers make some sort of tall heat spreader. Except for one or two that i know of.

I love it when people say" heh, look they did it on the internet, it must be okay!" You do what you want but if you remove the heatsinks you are taking a risk in not only damaging the PCB but also ripping the chips off the pcb. And yes say goodbye to any warranty too. I don't know about most of you all, but i dont have the money to gamble on damaging components. Finding another solution is much cheaper and all it takes is a little homework.

Yws, both of these will void your warranty.

Thats a choice you have to make. If you test each stick and they work. then whats the harm? If you don't plan to OC it.

A lot of guys remove it to add water cooling so save effect / risk

Thats a choice you have to make. If you test each stick and they work. then whats the harm? If you don't plan to OC it.

A lot of guys remove it to add water cooling so save effect / risk

Like i said in my previous post , the harm is voiding the warranty. In todays economy there are an awful lot of people that just dont have the extra money to take the chance on replacing components or want to take the risk of voiding the warranty.

If the sticks test fine when you get them and you want to take the risk then thats your chioce. Overclocking has nothing to do with it, or longevity for that fact. I have seen brand new kits die in just a couple of days let alone a couple of months or a year down the road.

All i'm getting at is that if you do make that choice just to make it wisely and be prepared to purchase a new set of RAM in case of a failure.:)

Making tall RAM doesn't mean it's standard. Look for high performance and even average CPU cooling solutions and you'll see majority will cover partialy/entirely RAM slots, hence compatibility issues will arise with tall memory.

That massive heatspreader for 1.5V DDR3 isn't even necessary. Vengeance LP speak for themselves.

The new Vengeance LP series should be short enough to fit under any heatsink.

Yes. Because it's basically standard height for memory.

Removable/detachable heatspreaders = would be the best.

I hope these Vengeance LP become avaiable down here. The "tall" Vengeance are rare already :(:

• 3 months later...
Fitted the Noctua NH-D14 alongside 24gb Vengeance on to my Rampage III Extreme last night, modded the cooler fins to suit. Cut the 2 little fin joiners between each fin with wire cutters, then using enough force with your fingers just bend one fin at a time 90 degrees down, it will bend in a nice straight line alongside the cooling bars, bend it back up and repeat until the fin breaks off. Did 4 fins like this which was enough to clear the ram spreaders, you can see the result in the pic's below.

cooler.jpg.e26e84aa8a3edd8cf2d775b8fd342ece.jpg

cooler1.jpg.6ba0e09c87a259737cc64e5d3cd80175.jpg

• 2 months later...
Unfortunately I didn't do the research required and I'm sitting here just finding out that my new D14 won't fit over my 16 gigs of Vengeance ... Doh !

My last box was an Asus M3N72D mobo with ******** memory and the D14 fit no problem (I did have to move fans around) and allowed excellent OC'ing on air, so I went with the same cooler for this build.

Its not the fans that won't allow fitting it's the actual fins. I'm thinking if I trim off the bottom 3 or 4 rows of fins on the side by the ram it'll fit and I doubt that will adversely effect cooling.

Just pondering options right now, I'll let y'all know !

Hi, i am the same as you in that i have bought the ram (16GB of Vengeance) and i guess ill have to either wreck one of them or sell 8gb and get mushkin blackline.... sucks cause i got the ram for my b'day so i cant return it... if you succeed SomeRandomGuy please post how!!!! thanks!

I have an Asus Crosshair V formula mobo, does anybody know if it'll fit or an i screwed like the rest of us?

• 1 year later...

Archived