Corsair Community

HX850W: Unable to boot if any devices plugged in via modular cables

cobracmndr

I am building a new system. I suspect I am having issues with my new HX850W PSU.

Context + symptoms:

When only the CPU, GPU and RAM are plugged in:

• Pressing the power button once usually results in a brief spin of the fans, then nothing
  • After 2-5 tries, the system will boot into the Asus ExpressGate software

When the CPU, GPU, RAM and LG DVD (via modular SATA power cable) are plugged in:

• Pressing the power button any number of times results in a brief spin of the fans, then nothing

I am working on cannibalizing a working PSU from another system, however it is highly inconvenient to take that box offline. I am hoping to triage this issue here before going that route.

Things I have tried:

• Plugged PSU directly into wall vs. UPS
  • Different SATA power cables from the bag that comes with the PSU
  • Plugging SATA power cable directly into LG DVD from PSU via modular, without routing through the gromets/cable mgmt area in 800D case

Looking forward to working with you all to diagnose the issue.

Update:

Tried ******** 1200W PSU from other machine. Everything booted fine.

Brought the HX850W back to TigerDirect. Tech tested it on test rig. Everything booted up fine. :dunno: Came back home, tried again in my rig. Same issue as before; unable to boot with anything more than CPU/RAM/GPU and only after multiple tries. :confused: Returned to TigerDirect with the entire rig. Reproduced issue for tech. :owned:

TigerDirect replaced PSU with new one (same model). Installed and confirmed operational status on-site. :werd:

Conclusion: The test rig must not have required the same amperage or voltage as my rig, despite them having similar equipment. Very strange! Just glad to have a working PSU.

Archived