Corsair Community

SSD not found in BIOS/POST

Ziern

ASUS P6T mobo, Win 7 x64, 6Gb corsair memory, Intel i7 processor.

A few times earlier BIOS has had problems to find/detect the SSD disk (F120), but now it seems like I can't get back in touch with it at all. When I start my computer it detects everything else fine, except the SSD disk. In the POST it just says that it's trying to detect what's on the SATA port that the SSD is on, and after awhile it times out (I guess) and goes on with the rest. So it "feels" that something is connected it seems, since it just skips to the rest if the SSD isn't connected.

The first time that BIOS didn't find the disk was after a BSOD after coming back from sleep mode. That time a cold boot solved the issue, and ofcourse I turned off sleep modes to avoid future problems. Very well, I thought. Stuff happens.

Next time was a week or two later, when I turned the computer on for the first time of the day. The day before I turned it off properly and all was fine then.

This time a cold boot didn't suffice. But after lots of reboot-tries, leaving the power off for minutes, changing back and forth from IDE to AHCI etc... it was finally found again after I changed the SATA cable (the cable work fine with other units, so I'm guessing it was just a fluke that it started again after that).

And so yesterday the problem was back again. Even worse now though. Reboots, cutting the power, changing cables, toggling AHCI/IDE, changing SATA-ports, resetting BIOS, leaving the computer on for an hour without doing anything, leaving the computer off with no power connected for an hour, reseating about everything in the computer etc etc didn't help.. until I made a final try with leaving the power off for a minute or two and start up again, then it was once again found.

Since I got back into windows I took the opportunity to flash my BIOS to the latest version and upgrade the Force disk firmware to 2.0. Also I did a few reboots and cold stops/starts to see that it was working fine.. all well. Until today..

It's been completely reluctant to be found in the BIOS today even though I've tried everything above several times for several hours. All the other hardware works fine, and my two other disks (not SSDs) work fine with all of the cables and SATA ports aswell. The SSD is not connected to the JMicron ports on the mobo either.

Feels like I've forgotten something, but I've tried everything that I've found here on the forums and more..

I'd like to get in touch with the disk atleast once more before I resort to an RMA since I have some stuff on it that I'd like to copy and delete from it aswell before the RMA is completed (I'm guessing it takes weeks?).. I'm also afraid that I'll get a disk with the same problems if I do an RMA. I've spent enough hours on this as it is, and I can't say I find this particular disk reliant after all this :p: I haven't been able to work properly or within the right timeframes because of this, so I'm eager to get it working again.

I haven't had the disk for too long, and when it was working it was working fine with performance etc. Only half full aswell.

Any more/other ideas before RMA (unless there are other options)?

EDIT:

I just tested the drive on another computer - it was found without any problems, and when I put it back into my computer it was found without any problems there as well.

It goes without saying that I don't want to go through this procedure every time it does fail though, so are there any theories or solutions going on?

Why is it doing this?

• Corsair Employee
I know of no issues like you are describing with the Force drives and an ASUS P6T series MB's. I would suggest trying another S-ATA cable to be sure its not just a bad cable, and you may want to check the firmware and update to the latest version.

Hello RAM Guy! Thanks for your reply, although somewhere in my wall of text I do mention that I have tried different cables and updating disk firmware + BIOS versions.

So I've already tried that.

Yesterday I tried everything, but the disk wasn't found in BIOS until I tried it in another computer and then back into mine.

I believe I have to do so - once again it wasn't found properly when I booted up my computer today. So I tried the disk in another computer again, but this time it wasn't found there either.

I have programs and stuff installed on the disk, is there any risk of those getting into wrong hands (licence keys from work etc)?

EDIT:

Appears the store where I bought it isn't on your list, so I guess I have to go to them first to see whether they can replace it for me.

The serial number isn't formatted the same way as the RMA suggests either. RMA asks for 8 + 9 digits, mine has 20 numbers in a row.

Though there are no numbers etc that matches the 8+9 as shown in the example pictures on my disk. Perhaps it's part of a bad batch which would explain my problems with the disk? :)

I asked the store if I could swap it in for a new one and they said it was ok even though I don't have the original box etc, so I'll do so today - meaning I hopefully get a good disk directly instead of having to wait weeks for a new one, and they do the RMA instead of me.

The store replaced it, so I got a new one which works perfectly fine so far (the old one worked nicely at first too, so I'm not convinced yet :P).

They are probably sending the old disc to their own testing department, but he didn't know what would happen to it after that.

This new disk doesn't have 8 + 9 digits anywhere either (like it asks for in the RMA request). Hopefully that means nothing, but I hope it's not a bad-batch-problem.

Archived