Corsair Community

Corsair Extreme Series SSD RMA Issue

gigol8tr

I just wanted to toss my feelings about the Corsair RMA process out there. I am, in short, thoroughly dissapointed. I initiated the "RMA Process" for an Extreme Series SSD on the 24th of November. I filled out the appropriate form and submitted it expecting a response the following Monday, due to the Thanksgiving holiday. I read that there was a 24 hour RMA response time and thought a holiday weekend was fair time off. I waited until the 1st of December (six days) and decided to call Corsair Customer Support. I recieved an apology, the RMA was approved and I was issued a number. No problem. I sent my drive overnight the next day. I recieved an e-mail that it had been recieved on the 7th, five days after it was sent - supposedly overnight.

Dear Geoffrey,

We wanted to let you know that we have received your return package for RMA number 1198559 Your returned product is staged for review by our returns department, and we will be contacting you shortly regarding repair or replacement.

Sincerely,

Corsair Returns Department

Thank You!

Now I don't know if the delay was due to the Post Office or what, but today is the 12th of December. It has been about 18 days since I sent in my RMA request with Corsair, and I've recieved no correspondence regarding Corsair's intent to resolve the problem. To this point I have gotten one "do not reply" form letter.

I am aware of the fact that a segment of the population that purchased Extreme Series SSDs have had similar problems to mine and this fact is widely expressed in user reviews of the product on NewEgg, TigerDirect etc. and within these forums. I would expect that Corsair would be aware of this. I have been a fan of Corsair products in the past and have used everything from power supplies and coolers to cases and memory, but I'm afraid that in this case I've made an error that has cost me in time wasted, uneccesary work and $750.

I dont' think I'm being unreasonable. I just thought that returning a high dollar product with known issues would result in better customer service.

Geoff

• Corsair Employee

I would suggest calling our customer service and they can get more information and help you with this or let me know the case or RMA and I will be happy to send them a message for you.

In addition, I am sorry but our hours are from Monday Through Friday 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Excluding Holidays. In your case we were closed That Thursday and Friday the weekend of Thanksgiving and why there was a delay in the RMA being issued.

It states

Submitting this form will generate an RMA Request to Corsair, and Customer Service will respond to your request within 24-48 business hours excluding weekends and Holidays.

• Corsair Employee

Just called and left you a message, to contact our Tech Support and we will be happy to help you. But there is no issue with Extreme Series SSD drives that I am aware of. In fact I use the same MB ASUS Crosshair IV Formula with Two X-32 drives and have no problems. so I have to assume there may be some other problem or the drive is just failing.

By the way did you try and secure erase the drive with parted magic and is the issue the same and the first RMA drive not detecting on cold Boot? Or is it some other issue?

Below are links to consumer ratings for XSeries 256 drives on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233093

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Extreme-Indilinx-Internal-CMFSSD-256D1/product-reviews/B002LKCFTQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Corsair Forums:

"Im kinda iffy about the extreme series because it died in under a year."

"I have two 256GB extreme SSD drives. One of the drives is not detected on boot up about every other time."

"New x256 SSD drive freezing & dying"

"This morning on boot up, BIOS no longer sees the SSD - only the optical drive"

I know there are myriad applications that can occur and that the sample size may be small, but to deny any problems with the drive seems an issue in itself.

Nevertheless, my drive started out great but degraded to consistantly not being recognized during cold boots to a corrupted installation of W7 to giving up the ghost and quitting on me altogether. This occurred over a period of three months on a drive with firmware 2.0, AHCI enabled, changed SATA cables, removed hot-swap-interface, secure-erase - reinstall of W7(twice), etc.

I read up, tried to solve my problems with the drive with a little due-diligence, but eventually determined that the drive needed to be replaced. My problem is that this should not occur in such a predictable manner to a customer base, albeit a small cross section, that is to remain loyal to a company's products.

Geoff

• Corsair Employee

I am not denying the problem and I believe there is some problem, just there is no proof there is a problem with that series.

We will be happy to test them for you to be sure there is not a problem with your drives if you like.

Please call our Tech Support as advised and you can ask for me I will be happy to help you with this.

Archived