Corsair Community

SDD n00b questions

BobWhite

I have a Nova 128 on the way. Totally new to SSD but have been reading a bunch, tweak guides, tips, you name it. Pretty sure I have most of what I need BUT I have some questions that don't seem to be clear or seem to have contradictions based on what some have posted.

First question;

I will be doing a clean install of Windows 7 x64 as I understand thats best rather than an image from a HDD. However I do not like that Win7 installer makes that 100MB first partition to hold the recovery stuff. Now I know that if I partition, format and mark active, Win7 installer will leave the drive alone and put the recovery folder on C:

So here is the question, I read that if I format the drive while booted up in Win7 using the disk manager, Win7 will automatically align the drive. Is that correct?

Also the format utility in disk manager when formatting NTFS defaults to 4096 allocation unit size. Do I leave it at that setting or is there a better unit size to set?

OK next question. The tweaking / install guides (like the win7 tips here) all seem to be old or slightly out of date? The guides all say to turn off Prefetch, superfetch, etc. The guide here actually tells you to disable the service. Seems reading the Microsoft SSD FAQ stickied here says otherwise?

Quote from MS FAQ:

"If the system disk is an SSD, and the SSD performs adequately on random reads and doesnt’t have glaring performance issues with random writes or flushes, then Superfetch, boot prefetching, application launch prefetching, ReadyBoost and ReadDrive will all be disabled."

So whats the real story? The above from the FAQ tends to indicate based on performance of random reads, it may or may not turn off this stuff?

I know how to check that it is or isn't so I suppose I can do that anyway but seems like these guides should be updated? I already spent days researching info and after all that, things like this can confuse the heck out of you! ;)

So now whats really confusing based on the MS FAQ is Win7 seems to be able to turn this stuff off only for the SSD drive? Yet all the guides I have read suggests shutting down the superfetch service? Doing that will disable it for all drives! So which is the right way? If win7 does it on it 's own I will just leave it but if it doesn't can you turn this off just for the SSD drive?

Thanks a bunch all.... :)

Bob

• Corsair Employee

I would just let Windows format the drive, if you are doing a fresh install just delete all the partitions on the drive before you start the install and let Windows 7 do its thing. I have read where some have installed with out the 100 Meg reserved but from what I have seen with Microsoft Products its best to let it do what it wants. Also with out that if the system crashes it may loose all of the data.

First generation SSD's were a bit more complex and required more tweaking, in addition the O.S and drivers have matured as well, so just use the defaults and tweak as needed to get or maintain performance. If you have had anything on this drive I would suggest using Parted Magic and secure erase the drive before you start the Install. And 4K allocation on the format is optimal for most SSD's

Thanks for the response Ram Guy... I was beginning to think either I asked too n00b'ish a question or no one else cared to answer :(

But not sure I completely understood your response. I now can handle the formatting if or if I don't want the 100MB partition. I did some tests and now know how to control the alignment. Mind you I do not have the SSD NOVA drive yet but I got up to speed on diskpart testing on a HDD.

But I still don't have a firm answer on my other asks. Do I disable Prefetch, superfetch, etc? Or do I just let win 7 installer decide? You said drivers and what not have gotten better but the question still remains. What is Corsair's best recommendation here? Again this is for a NOVA drive that is one day away from delivery. :)

Now I hate to ask yet a 3rd question but I am also seeing conflicting recommendations about using the default built in Win7 ACHI driver vs loading the Intel driver? Some say the built in Win7 driver supports TRIM and some say NO use the Intel stuff?

So you know I have a ASUS P6T-Deluxe MOBO which has the Intel X58 chip set and latest BIOS from ASUS. So which is best to go with?

I also have a Marvell controller on this MOBO but I only use that for E-sata drives at this point. The SSD will not be going on that at all.

Anyway, my confusion is all the GUIDES and TIPS seem to be old. I assume my NOVA is a Gen2? Yet I see drives of Gen1 using the Intellix Barefoot controller? I am doing as much as I can to learn this stuff on my own but man....... :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Is it just me? Or does anyone else out there think having old info and having to pour through the VOLUMES of it VS not having an up to date guide makes this confusing as hell? :eek:

I am a geek and love to play and tweak but man.... Some details about CERTAIN settings are just so inconsistent or "soft".

As for some Windows tweaks to move C:/user, TEMP, etc... I have those all completely understood and know what I want to do. It's the OLD driver / Prefetch / what does WIN7 actually do information that is totally not clear!

Thanks,

Bob

• Corsair Employee
But I still don't have a firm answer on my other asks. Do I disable Prefetch, superfetch, etc? Or do I just let win 7 installer decide? You said drivers and what not have gotten better but the question still remains. What is Corsair's best recommendation here? Again this is for a NOVA drive that is one day away from delivery. :)

I did answer that question but not directly!

First generation SSD's were a bit more complex and required more tweaking, in addition the O.S and drivers have matured as well, so just use the defaults and tweak as needed to get or maintain performance.

Now I hate to ask yet a 3rd question but I am also seeing conflicting recommendations about using the default built in Win7 ACHI driver vs loading the Intel driver? Some say the built in Win7 driver supports TRIM and some say NO use the Intel stuff?

A: As I stated just use the default driver MS AHCI, you can experiment with this as it will differ with Chipset but the default MS-AHCI driver will normally work with TRIM in Windows 7

Once you get the drive just do the default install of the O.S. and test its performance, there is no need to do any special steps when formatting with Windows 7. However, if you are going to try and force Windows to do things it was not designed to do then I am sorry you are on your own. And you would need to test the steps you are trying to do.

And all current SSD's we have Nova, Extreme, Force, Performance series are second generation SSD.

Archived