Corsair Community

Applying TIM to H70?

Pyrophoric

I removed the stock paste included with the H70 and am trying MX-3 with a thin spread method to the heat sink. I am generally use to spreading on the CPU but went with this method instead.

My idle temps @ stock for an i7 950 are about 40c. I am wondering if there is a better way to apply the the thermal paste.

What method do you recommend for the H70?

No cure time and they don't seem to recommend a method for applying. Actually, I just ordered some MX-4 which spreads better so will try that.

Mostly, I got the idea of applying directly to the heat sink from the fact that the H70 already had it applied. Typically, I would apply to the CPU.

the TIM you choose is the best (there are so many and only a degree or so difference)

the method you choose is up to you ( there really is not one better than the other, again by a degree or so difference)

Watch for cure times and follow manufacturer specs for product.

example: my i7 920 @stock clocks with the H70 idles at 27-28 degrees. removed and reaplied OCZ Freeze (it what i had laying around) and now my i7 920 @ stock clock idles at 22 degrees.Now @ 3.8ghz i idle at 27-28 degrees.

Archived