Corsair Community

800D and SSD Drive

Ken429

I tried to use one of the Hot Swap bays on the 800D case for a GSkill Phoenix Pro 120 GB SSD drive. (I wanted the Corsiar drive but the NewEgg deal a few days ago made me go with the GSkill drive.) For some reason The drive does not get recognized by the BIOS. Yet when I hook it up using a standard SATA Cable all is well. Any suggestions on what is going wrong in the Hot Swap bay would be appreciated. The bay works just fine with a standard HDD.

omg, i just went through this a few hours ago. Got 2 vertex 2 120gb ssds and they would not show up in the bios. Plugging them directly in worked just fine, id much rather use the hot swap bays, because currently theyre mounted with 1 screw at the bottom and i dont feel comfortable having $500 worth of ssds there.

Not trying to hijack this thread i stumbled on it searching for my problem.

I had the same problem with mine when I first installed the SSD.

You need to be very careful that the drive caddy is level when inserting it. do it with the computer on and you will see a flash out of the HD LED when it is properly inserted.

Also you need to make sure to use a thin head screws to mount the SSD's in the caddy and the screws will tend to make you tip the caddy when inserting it so be careful.

I must be slow but I cannot make the SSD Drive work in the Hot Swap Bay. I was very careful and made sure the tray fit into the side slots and seated correctly - nothing! The only thing I did not try was inserting when the power was on - that seems a little dangerous and I don't do that with the HDD's. The SSD I am using will not accept the newer SATA cables with the retention clip. Corsair could that be causing my problem? So in the mean time...I ordered a couple of 3.5" to 2.5" converters from Amazon and will just put the SSD in one of bays in the lower HDD cage. I hope the parts from Amazon are full size so I can use the plastic rails provided with the 800D - neat but not a very good solution when trying to use the converter tray that came with the SSD Drive.

I must be slow but I cannot make the SSD Drive work in the Hot Swap Bay. I was very careful and made sure the tray fit into the side slots and seated correctly - nothing! The only thing I did not try was inserting when the power was on - that seems a little dangerous and I don't do that with the HDD's. The SSD I am using will not accept the newer SATA cables with the retention clip. Corsair could that be causing my problem? So in the mean time...I ordered a couple of 3.5" to 2.5" converters from Amazon and will just put the SSD in one of bays in the lower HDD cage. I hope the parts from Amazon are full size so I can use the plastic rails provided with the 800D - neat but not a very good solution when trying to use the converter tray that came with the SSD Drive.

Try it in the 4 different bays. If you verify that the drive does in fact work when connected directly, you may have a bad HD bay. We'll send you a replacement if you have a bad one.

I tried the SSD Drive in at least two of the Hot Swap Bays (1 and 3) and it did not register in BIOS in either bay. However, when I put HDD's in both of those bays they both work ok. Therefore, I strongly suspect it is the SSD Drive that does not like the Hot Swap Bay(s). When mounting the SSD Drive in the Hot Swap Bay removable tray I used the only two holes in the bottom of the tray - correct? Since I last posted I received the 3.5" to 2.5" trays (Amazon delivery is unbelievable!) and they work with the plastic rails for the lower two bays. The SSD Drive is hooked up and running in one of the lower bays without any issues. I guess I need to buy a Corsair SSD Drive and see if it works in the Hot Swap Bays?

Archived