Corsair Community

Confused on AX850 with crossfire

Barneyj41

So I just built my machine...

The problem I came across is that the 8pin EPS/ATX connector for the Mobo is the same size as and takes up the spot on the PSU for the second PCI-E cable. So I can't use this PSU to do crossfire with 5850s.

I don't understand why the EPS/ATX 8pin comes with a plug that has 12 (4 are not used) and takes up the spot on the PSU for the second PCI-E cable????

Any thoughts??? What did I do wrong??

The PSU finder says the 850 was the way to go for such a setup...

• Corsair Employee
The PCIE modular cable would not fit in the EPS 8 pin connector on the PSU. The PSU has 2 modular ports for PCIE cables, these are 12 pin ports. The PCIE cables themselves will have a 12 pin connector on one side (which plugs into the PSU) and on the other side there will be 2 PCIE cables and connectors with the standard 6+2 pin PCIE which would plug into your graphics card(s). Both PCIE cables have 2 PCIE connectors so that gives you 4 available total.

Yeah I'm a moron... I didn't notice that there were two EPS/ATX cables that have different connectors on the psu side. One has an 8pin on the PSU side and the other has a 12pin as I said in my original post. I obviously used the wrong one. So when I add go crossfire, I have to swap that cable out.

Thanks anyways...

Archived