Corsair Community

PSU blew

PSUblew

Hello,

In January, I built a computer for my sister. It operated perfectly at the time, so I'm certain that 550 watts was enough. In August, the computer started to spontaneously shut down, and the power supply was running extremely hot. I just figured that the computer needed to have the dust blown out of it, but I wasn't able to get over there to check it. Then, a few weeks ago, the computer shut down. When it was turned back on, the screen was blank for a few moments, and then the computer shut off and on a few times. Right after that, the PSU blew. There was a crackling sound and smoke came out the back.

After being told this on the phone, I immediately identified the PSU as the culprit. I was anxious that other components might have been fried, but I knew that I would have to replace the PSU first to find out. So I filed an RMA, and after a couple of weeks, finally received a shiny new 550VX in the mail.

I installed the new PSU, and then powered up the machine. At this point, to my amazement, the exact same thing happened. After about a minute, the brand new PSU blew in the same fashion as had been described to me. That was the last thing I was expecting. :eek:

What is more likely? That the new PSU was just coincidentally a bad one, and another replacement would probably be fine? Or is there some other component that is frying the PSU? I've honestly heard many times of PSUs frying other components. But I don't think I've heard of the reverse.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Lets get the PSU replaced! Request an RMA

Two in a row giving you the same problems usually indicates that there is some other cause for the problems. A short would be the first thing to check, like ritaylor mentioned. You may want to remove the motherboard from the case and disconnect all but the barebones hardware when you get the PSU back, and see if you are able to rule out any shorts caused by the other components in the system or the case itself.

• Corsair Employee
OK, I'll try that then. What would barebones include? Only the MB, CPU, and memory?

Thanks!

MB, CPU, 1 stick of memory, your video card and the PSU.

If the problems remain, then at least you know that its got something to do with one of these components, and that should narrow things down a bit. If the problems go away, then you can reconnect each device one at a time to see which one may be causing the problems.

Archived