Corsair Community

I bought dual channel ram for my triple channel board......

HeroGhost

I bought this ram:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9

for this board:

Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

My thinking was, perhaps incorrectly, that the only difference the number of sticks in the pack was what signifies it as dual or triple channel. I've had a few issues of windows not registering all 8gigs on a cold boot, so I'm wondering, is there a difference between the hardware of what I bought and a triple channel pack? Will a dual channel pack malfunction when matched with a triple channel board? Do I need to return my ram for a different set?

Ideally, you need to run 3 or 6 modules on any X58 MOBO although they can run 4 modules according to Intel. As for the incorrect memory amounts, this has nothing to do with the number of memory modules. We have a troubleshooting thread for this at the top of the DDR3 section in the Sticky's.

And, the only difference in the memory is the number of modules. For example, 1600C8 is 1600C8 but you get 2 or 4 modules for P55, and 3 or 6 modules for X58, etc etc.

Yellowbeard, can you tell me what the functional difference, if any, the tr3x6g1600c8d has over the tr3x6g1600c8? I am picking up memory for my Sabertooth X58 today and can't see spending for the tr3x6g1600c8d. I'm not planning to overclock (sans making sure i am at 1600) and using machine for a Digital Audio workstation.

Btw, where are you at in the ATL area?

Archived