Corsair Community

hx850 shutting off and rebooting on its own

spill

i am at a loss for what is going on with this PSU presently.................

the first 2 units were rma'ed due to bad sockets in the rear of the psu along with multiple random reboots. at times the system would shut down and reboot as many as 10 times in a row often not even making it to the windows desktop. many times the pc would shut down and restart for a few seconds then shut down and restart multiple times or get to the windows desktop for a minute or an 1 hour only to repeat the entire process.

the 3rd has not had the socket issues but after 5 days of use the random multiple reboots are back and as bad if not worse than they ever were. the power supply worked fine for 2 days then bam random mulitple shut downs and reboots are back and as bad if not worse than they ever wore.

i have tested the memory and the mother board and installed a fresh copy of windows as well as double checking all of the connections in the pc. i would have thought a short would have caused this issue almost immediately upon installing the psu and powering it up. the pc can be fine for a day or 2 with zero issues and then the random reboots hit.

any help on this would greatly appreciated as i am at a complete loss right now

• Corsair Employee
You either had 3 faulty PSUs in a row, or there is some other issue. The first thing that came to my mind was a short or grounding issue. To know for sure whether the PSU is causing these problems you would need to test the PSU in a different system. If that is not an option, then I would try removing your board from your case and bench testing the system with a barebones configuration to try and rule out a short/ground. You may also want to try booting up into safe mode to see if you can duplicate the same problems. If safe mode seems more stable than normal, then there could be a software or driver issue with the system. If it looks like the PSU is failing and replacing it will resolve the issues then please Request an RMA.

i will try the safe mode option when the random reboots begin again and see if i can replicate the problem as well as the bare bones set up to replicate the issues. unfortunately i do not have another set up to put the psu into.

thank you for the help i will post back with anything i find.

Archived