Corsair Community

H50 (and H70 also, I guess) Longevity.

BBMW

Thinking about doing a build with an H50. In concept, I never like the idea of a big tower heatsink cantilevering several inches off the side of a motherboard. Also, since water block is much smaller it allow for better airflow in the case and seems to make for a cleaner install.

However, there is at least one issue. I built my last machine six years ago, and I'm still using it. While I don't know if I'll hang on to the new one quite so long, I want to know I can. The one thing I worry about with liquid cooling is mechanical complexity and failures. Since there is now a pump and a coolant loop (with it's joints and seals) to worry about, I wonder how long these things will last before something goes wrong, and what damage could be cause if something does die.

What is the design live/MTBF with these units? What has been the actual experience?

That's the thing. 2.5 years down the road, I don't want to find my machine dead, with a puddle under it.

You can always go out and buy $200-$300 worth of custom liquid cooling and hope it doesn't fail or grow animals in it.

If you are that worried about it I would stick with air...even custom liquid cooling can leak and changing the water is a necessity if it isn't closed loop. Any system can fail whether it is liquid or not. It is just a matter of what the quality is and how you treat it.

I have a laptop that I got in 2000...the touch pad died but the rest of it still works fine. Amazing how some things last.

That problem crossed my mind also (but a leak makes for a more dramatic example :D: ) Either way the cooler is dead, and damage is possible.

potential pump failure does not equate to leaks. i would expect the pump to seize well before the tubes leak if they haven't in a month after install.

This is between medium end air, prepacked sealed liquid. Custom, DIY liquid is not being considered. I consider air to be at least as effective as the H50 class prepacs (Corsair or otherwise.) Will likely end up with air, but the I like the way the sealed liquid systems don't completely take over the area over the CPU.

You can always go out and buy $200-$300 worth of custom liquid cooling and hope it doesn't fail or grow animals in it.

If you are that worried about it I would stick with air...even custom liquid cooling can leak and changing the water is a necessity if it isn't closed loop. Any system can fail whether it is liquid or not. It is just a matter of what the quality is and how you treat it.

I have a laptop that I got in 2000...the touch pad died but the rest of it still works fine. Amazing how some things last.

This is between medium end air, prepacked sealed liquid. Custom, DIY liquid is not being considered. I consider air to be at least as effective as the H50 class prepacs (Corsair or otherwise.) Will likely end up with air, but the I like the way the sealed liquid systems don't completely take over the area over the CPU.

Good point...custom works much the same way. One reason I love water cooling. I guess the best parts about a sealed system...other then not having to change the fluid...is ease of use, simplicity of design, and not loading a bunch of extra equipment in your system. I am waiting for one last part before I replace the Asetek with the H70...I have faith that this will outlast my computer...or at least until I build one...in about 2 months...

Archived