Corsair Community

F60GB2 disappearing from system

MickeH

I've got a F60 (CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT, serial 10290495-1219993) that disappeared from my Ubuntu Linux 10.04 64-bit system after being used about 30 hours.

When i got to the computer after the night it was frozen, no output to monitor, Caps lock and Scroll lock blinking. Keyboard unresponsive.

This is my boot-hd, and after a warm restart i did not see the SSD in BIOS, after a cold start appeared again, and while booting it appeared to do a file system check on the SSD, cause it took much longer to boot.

Power options: Never go to sleep, don't spin down HDDs.

ACHI enabled in BIOS for 6-port controller ATI SB700/SB800 SATA Controller

driver: ahci

Release 10.04 (lucid)

Kernel Linux 2.6.32-24-generic (which i believe has no TRIM support)

GNOME 2.30.3

Further specs in my profile.

I bought two of these SSDs (one for my Linux and one for my Win7 system), but im thinking of returning them, after reading about the problems here.

Please advice!

Kindest regards Mikael

Hi MickeH

Disabling TRIM has worked for some people (or in your case using a non-TRIM enabled Kernel), however it doesn't seem to be a solution for others.

Your experiences:

...and after a warm restart i did not see the SSD in BIOS, after a cold start appeared again...

is the hide-and-seek BIOS issue many of us are struggling with on both the F- and the R-series (here and here.) :sigh!:

It's interesting that you're having the issue on an AMD platform, this particular BIOS/standby issue seemed to be less prevalent on AMD. At least that's presumed from the postings here.

Neuromancer managed to have some degree of success with the following (AHCI settings in the BIOS and software; and as updated drives as possible. This was however MS-Win, so apply what you can accordingly to Linux.)

While I noticed it mostly on the X58 platform, I also had some problems with it on the SB850 AMD until I did a few things.

1) AHCI must be enabled (In hardware-BIOS; and in software).

The problem happens much less with that setting enabled.

2) Try to use shutdown over restart.

Restart seems to cause the problem only.

3) Latest drivers help.

I have had the problem happen once since installing it in my current AMD setup, and it was right after a BSOD. Full power down and power up restored the drive and went on its merry way. It used to have all sorts of problems both with this board and the Crosshair III

I hope you get your issue resolved. Please update your post here as to how you're getting along and if you managed to get your BIOS detection error solved and (detection) stable and consistent; it would be greatly appreciated. :praise:

I'm thinking of returning them, after reading about the problems here.

Ah, I see you replaced the Corsair parts with ******** SSD2-2VTXE120G 120GB * 2 drives. Did this resolve the issue? Any BIOS detection issues on the new/replacement ******** units? :confused:

Kind regards

~Angst~

Milton0727

PS: I see Corsair's forum word filter is working. Not that I blame them, nearly all manufacturers do this. :p:

Sorry to do the dreaded double-post.

Ah, I see you replaced the Corsair parts with ******** SSD2-2VTXE120G 120GB * 2 drives. Did this resolve the issue? Any BIOS detection issues on the new/replacement ******** units? :confused:

Kind regards

~Angst~

Milton0727

PS: I see Corsair's forum word filter is working. Not that I blame them, nearly all manufacturers do this. :p:

I've not replaced the drives, i'm just considering it.

You looked at Xenn0X specs i think.

Hi MickeH

Disabling TRIM has worked for some people (or in your case using a non-TRIM enabled Kernel), however it doesn't seem to be a solution for others.

Well, i'm not sure about this actually, just read somewhere that TRIM support could be backported to my kernel version, and therefore included anyway. And i'm not sure how to check if its enabled or not.

Does anyone know?

Besides... Isn't there downsides to not being able to TRIM the SSD?

yes i replaced it with other sandforce and works fine. uptime 8 days with trim and no missing drive issue

the corsair is laying around here like 300 buck paperweight waiting for a proper firmware till it's being used again.

I've done some reading up...:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-812509.html

I've not mounted my root / with option discard so i'm not using TRIM on this disk.

So it's not really TRIM that make it disappear from BIOS.

I've replaced it with an old 80G SATA now, and system is still fine, 12 hours on. We'll see if it survives the night...

EDIT: 30 hours on still up, no sign of problem. Must have been the Corsair SSD that caused the freezing problems and subsequent disappearing from BIOS. What can i say?

I've sent the two SSD back now. Hoping for a ******** TECH SSD 60GB ******** * 2 Series 2.5'' (********SSD2-2VTXE60G) but i'm not really 100% convinced of those either. Sandforce bug?

• 2 years later...
I've done some reading up...:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-812509.html

I've not mounted my root / with option discard so i'm not using TRIM on this disk.

So it's not really TRIM that make it disappear from BIOS.

I've replaced it with an old 80G SATA now, and system is still fine, 12 hours on. We'll see if it survives the night...

EDIT: 30 hours on still up, no sign of problem. Must have been the Corsair SSD that caused the freezing problems and subsequent disappearing from BIOS. What can i say?

I've sent the two SSD back now. Hoping for a ******** TECH SSD 60GB ******** * 2 Series 2.5'' (********SSD2-2VTXE60G) but i'm not really 100% convinced of those either. Sandforce bug?

Guys, grow up! If a drive fails it has been just customary to target the controller which at times will not be at fault at all. one of the basic drive failure can happen due to incompatibility between the SSD and the MB. I am not saying sandforce controller is good or bad, but doing my bit on the justice front becuase I have a similar setup which works absolutely fine with the same SSD corsair. Folks, sometimes one of us might have a bad experience in the ratio 1:1000, hence we need to be bit cautious before we rate a product!

• Corsair Employee
MickeH

I've not mounted my root / with option discard so i'm not using TRIM on this disk. So it's not really TRIM that make it disappear from BIOS.

Micke,

I am sorry but TRIM is a software command issued by The O.S. and the controller driver will pass the command to the Nand Controller in the SSD and clean the fragments out of any cluster. It literately has absolutely nothing to do with the MB BIOS, so this is technically impossible for the TRIM command to case the drive to not be detected in the MB BIOS. If this does happen I would check the drive on another MB and see if the problem follows the drive and or test another drive on that system with the same Nand controller (SandForce)

But if the issue follows the drive then I would suggest we get it replaced. I would suggest making a backup image of the current install and then secure erase the drive and re-image

Archived