Corsair Community

CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 Issues

pinkfloyd01

Hello RAM Guy!

Just bought a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2.0 board and an i7-930 proc with the CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 6GB matched set for RAM. I choose that RAM over the TR3X6G1600C8D that the memory configurator suggested after reading here that the CMP version was the new model of the same RAM.

I guess my 1st question is... is that correct and should this RAM work correctly on that board?

Once installed I started getting BSOD maybe once or twice a day. Then I realized that the board is defaulting the CPU to 2GHZ and the RAM to 1066. After pouring over some of your helpful documents I moved everything up to the correct 1600 and timings to 8-8-8-24 along with the correct voltages. I got a BSOD within 5 minutes so tried moving the CPU to it's correct settings. At that point I barely was able to boot before the BSOD. I put everything back to the defaulted settings. Then I ran CPU-Z and found a different part number for one of the modules which also does not have the XMP option. I am of course assuming this is a bad thing but wanted to confirm before starting the return or RMA process.

My next question is... assuming the RAM is the issue is it normal for the board to have the CPU and RAM frequencies set lower? I want to make sure I don't have other issues as well.

I have included my CPU-Z output which I edited down some.

Thanks!

CPU-Z.txt

Thanks. I actually bought a 2nd set and this time once I enabled XMP they are set correctly. And the CPU is now running at the correct speed as well. I thought the CPU part was very interesting. Now... do I return the bad ones for a refund or RMA them and go to 12GB... decisions, decisions :)

• 2 months later...

My system is having similar issues. XMP Profile 1 is enabled. I have the same mobo and memory, but with an i7-980x CPU instead.

Early on I was able to run under the mobo's fail-safe configuration, but even that no longer works. I started getting BSODs during boot, and now the system simply reboots during the "Starting Windows" screen. Updating to the "FB" latest BIOS update doesn't help either.

Could this be a memory issue, too?

TIA for any help or insight!

My system is having similar issues. XMP Profile 1 is enabled. I have the same mobo and memory, but with an i7-980x CPU instead.

Early on I was able to run under the mobo's fail-safe configuration, but even that no longer works. I started getting BSODs during boot, and now the system simply reboots during the "Starting Windows" screen. Updating to the "FB" latest BIOS update doesn't help either.

Could this be a memory issue, too?

It turns out the issue was not with the memory (memtest86+ tests were clean). After doing some deeper Web searches, I found the problem was related to two CPU power management features being enabled in the GA X58A-UD3R BIOS (i.e. enabling additional CPU C-states and CPU Halt). Now on to the mobo forums to try to understand why enabling those CPU power management features causes Win7 to choke early in the boot process.

Sorry about the FUD. My Corsair Dominator is working very well. Thanks for the great product!

Archived