Corsair Community

F120 SSD Random Kernel-Power 41 BSOD; Not Detected on Boot

currently, i'm using RAID0 array for my SSD.

TRIM manually deactivated.

sleep off

hybrid sleep off

turn off harddisk off

turn off monitor off

hybernate off

page file enabled 1024 min 2048 max on RAID SSD (system drive)

SSD firmware 1.1

motherboard bios F7Z beta from gigabyte personel.

Tony TRIM method every once and then.

currently running perfect without bsod for 2.5 days, had to restart because my HDD fail to be read on GSATA causing major lag on the system.

my decision is, i will have to wait until few more bsod and plenty of intensive research in between, then i'll have to replace them with another brand if they still bsod-ing, i can't have unstable system as my business is based on my PC.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my good sir....

i live in indonesia..... that is most probably 12 hours difference if you live in the USA.

and look at the hour i usually post, yes, i don't have real sleeping timetable, due to the nature of my business relations with overseas partners.

i am currently acting as sales director of some IT related brands distributor in my country (unfortunately Corsair is not one of mine, it's DTG's).

and when i go to my office, i keep my PC on, since my international internet connection is far faster than in my office, i remotely log in to my PC from my office to download business files and then transfer them to my office using local internet connection, that way it's faster and more efficient.

so yes, i keep my PC on most of the time.

it's 9 in the morning and i haven't slept at all, not that i have go to work (it's weekend), but it's already a habit.

It's like the iphone4. Consumers should not have to hold the phone a certain way When making calls to have a strong signal. SSDs should not need to be turned off at night. They should simply work. Plus, if you don't allow the SSD to be idle for long enough, trim would never kick in (performance degradation). It's advertised that the Force SSDs support trim, if they don't, wouldn't this constitute a misrepresentation?

So you do have to have pc open in night too?

And if not you cant come to job 20sec. before to work, to turn your pc on?

Nothing personal, im just wondering all this "bussines" claims.

Some of us do need PCs that can stay on all the time.

I currently put together a computer that was worth well over $6,000 USD for scientific research. Even with dual 3.33Ghz with 6 cores each and 32 gigs of RAM, it still takes between 3-4 days to process my data set.

Now imagine that you run a dataset for 4 days...then when the computer goes into idle you lose all your results.

I thought that I was putting the very best of hardware in this machine, with the utmost reliability and speed. Boy was I wrong.

Well, my F60 just crashed again. The beta firmware appears to have done nothing for the issue on my system... :(:

So you do have to have pc open in night too?

And if not you cant come to job 20sec. before to work, to turn your pc on?

Nothing personal, im just wondering all this "bussines" claims.

I'm a technician, and sometimes I will leave a HDD hot swapped so I can let MSE, MBAM, SAS, and other apps scan overnight. If the system crashes out, most scans will just be rendered a waste of time since nothing was removed, or the program did not make a log of said infections before the crash.

Anyway, I guess I'm going back to my HDD until something comes up...

I have three F series drives that are hanging.

What happens if I disable trim other than a performance hit?

If the problem is fixed later on do I need to do someting to get the drive to recognize the space that is no longer in use?

Thanks,

Rich

you don't get performance hit right away by disabling TRIM.

it's just that you need to "manually TRIM" your SSD once in a while to retain its optimal performance.

google "Tony TRIM"

Great. Thanks for that.

I have turned off trim on my most critical server.

- Rich

Turning off trim will work for some time. After a few days, even with trim turned off the bsod returns. Well, for me anyways.

I have three F series drives that are hanging.

What happens if I disable trim other than a performance hit?

If the problem is fixed later on do I need to do someting to get the drive to recognize the space that is no longer in use?

Thanks,

Rich

Has anyone run a week with TRIM disabled?

I think it is safe to say that the SF controller is gets stuck in a loop.

That is why a simple reset does not correct the problem. You have to power down to reset the drive.

I will be trying another manufactures Sandforce SSD later this week.

It is worthwhile for me to debug this a little since I now own 3 Corsair Force and 1 Corsair Nova drive.

Has anyone done an RMA and received a drive that corrected the problem?

Thanks,

Rich

Here is the situation as far as I can tell:

• The F Series are flawed and to not support TRIM
  • These drives do not perform as advertised
  • There is no firmware fix
  • We do not know if a replacement drive will fix it
  • Corsair has made no statements as to the cause of the problem
  • Competitors Sandforce SDD's do not appear to exhibit the problem

I am going to give Corsair about a week before I raise hell everywhere. My credit card company, NewEgg, the Review Sites.

- Rich

Competitors sandforce ssd's Do exhibit the same problems. I own one so am speaking from experience and am a regular reader of their forum and other users are flagging it up too. Its most likely a sandforce issue therefore beyond the control of any manufacturer. We are all waiting for a sandforce firmware update it seems.

Competitors sandforce ssd's Do exhibit the same problems. I own one so am speaking from experience and am a regular reader of their forum and other users are flagging it up too. Its most likely a sandforce issue therefore beyond the control of any manufacturer. We are all waiting for a sandforce firmware update it seems.

I will have another manufacturers Sandforce soon so I will know that too.

- Rich

Nkdan's comment might not be completely correct. He has an account with the the competitor's forum and he posted about enabling pagefile solving the problem both there and here as if both SSDs have the same issue. In either forum I don't even know which SSD he's referring to anymore.

I just about the SSD from that competitor (sf1200 based) and my problem is solved. No more bsod when idle. That's why I posted here a few posts ago indicating my finding that it's probably a corsair-only problem and not the controller.

Here is the situation as far as I can tell:

• The F Series are flawed and to not support TRIM
  • These drives do not perform as advertised
  • There is no firmware fix
  • We do not know if a replacement drive will fix it
  • Corsair has made no statements as to the cause of the problem
  • Competitors Sandforce SDD's do not appear to exhibit the problem

I am going to give Corsair about a week before I raise hell everywhere. My credit card company, NewEgg, the Review Sites.

- Rich

i feel the same way

Ditto. I've said before that I understand it takes time, but this is getting ridiculous. Judging by the post dates from this and other threads, the issue has been ongoing for months.

On the other hand, I'm glad Corsair is being realistic with the problem and not brown-nosing the customer (us) by offering hourly apologies with still no fix. So thanks for that, guys. ^_^

Nkdan's comment might not be completely correct. He has an account with the the competitor's forum and he posted about enabling pagefile solving the problem both there and here as if both SSDs have the same issue. In either forum I don't even know which SSD he's referring to anymore.

I just about the SSD from that competitor (sf1200 based) and my problem is solved. No more bsod when idle. That's why I posted here a few posts ago indicating my finding that it's probably a corsair-only problem and not the controller.

What's this about the pagefile?

Archived