Corsair Community

Memtest86+ v4.10 and 2 kits of TW3X4G1333C9

Memory Geek

Hello,

I recently upgraded my systems (Intel DP45SG) RAM capacity to 8GB from 4 GB. Once installed, I booted up to my systems BIOS and verified the RAM modules have been detected and restored all BIOS settings to default to make sure all new changes have been updated properly. All RAM has been detected and everything looks good in the BIOS. Next, I decided to run Memtest86+ v4.10 to fully test the new modules. Around Test #6 Pass 36% & Test 69% I received four errors (I've attached a screenshot of Memtest86+). After receiving the errors I turned off the system, reseated the RAM modules retested and got the same error. I went ahead and turned off the system, and removed my original 4GB modules and only left the new 4GB modules. This time Memtest86+ passed. I decided to test the other RAM slots to make sure it's not the MB. Memtest86+ passed again. At this point I thought my original RAM modules might have gone bad. I removed the new modules and reinstalled the original modules, ran Memtest86+ and the original 4GB modules passed as well. Now it seems Memtest86+ pass with only 4GB installed but once I get to 8GB it fails.

At this point, I decided to go a few steps further. I left the 8GB RAM installed in the system and booted up to Windows 7. I decided to run Prime95 for 24hrs to see if any errors occur. After 24hrs Prime95 had no errors. I decided to use my computer normally for a few days to see if any issues occurred. After 4 days of playing games for a few hours, watching and editing videos, and normal web surfing, no issues have occurred in the OS.

I am not sure where to go from here. I am not experiencing any issues with my newly installed RAM modules however I am not passing Memtest86+ with all modules installed. Also the BIOS is up to date, my system is not over clocked and is running on factory stock settings (except the Geforce GTX 470 which is over clocked by the factory). Any help will be appreciated for this issue and thank you for your time.

1551093122_Memtest86error.thumb.jpg.054a41d2ded4c90d22fa71b1ff4e6922.jpg

• Corsair Employee
That may suggest an issue with the memory controller on the processor. You may want to try giving it a slight bump in VTT voltage to see if it helps. You may also want to try reseating the processor as well.

RAM GUY,

Thank you for your response. Yesterday I was working on the computer and updated a few applications. After the update, I restarted Windows 7 and encountered a BIOS error. After the restart the system did not post and provided 3 Beeps. According to the MB manual 3 beeps indicate the memory was not detected. I decided to turn off the power completely, wait a few secs. and turn on the system again. This time the system posted and booted up to the OS. I attempted to recreate this error again, I restarted the OS and the system successfully restarted and posted with no errors or beep codes.

I attempted RAM GUY's suggestions and bumped up the memory voltage to 1.6v from 1.5v. However, Memtest86+ gave the same errors like the last time but with errors in different test #s I also reseated the processor as per RAM GUY's other suggestion and retested with default voltage and higher voltage (1.6v) and the same errors occurred in Memtest86+.

I was looking through some other threads and found discussions about different revision numbers on the memory modules. Is it a possibility that this time around I got a different revision number? I bought the first 4GB kit last year and bought this other 4GB kit about a week ago.

What is the next step? For the first time I got BIOS beep code errors. Can this indicate a faulty memory module(s)? Thank you again for your time in this matter. Any further help will be appreciated.

RAM GUY,

Again, thank you for your response. Memtest86+ reported errors in the following tests: #2, #4, & #6. The system was currently running the RAM voltage at 1.6v, DRAM frequency at 1333, and CAS at 9-9-9-24. I decided again to go a bit further and test different DRAM frequencies with different timings.

Running voltage at 1.6v, DRAM Frequency at 1333, and CAS at 8-8-8-24

Memtest86+ reported an error on Test #2.

Running voltage at 1.6v, DRAM Frequency at 1066, and CAS at 7-7-7-20.

Memtest86+ reported an error on Test #2.

Finally, running voltage at 1.6v, DRAM Frequency at 1066, and CAS at 9-9-9-24.

Memtest86+ Passed! With no reported errors!

The test ran for 11hours and 45mins (please see screen shot below). According to threads this indicates the RAM is not running at the right specifications. How is it possible the RAM failed while running at 1333 but passes all the tests when running on a lower frequency 1066? At this point it seems the problem lies somewhere with the RAM. If there is anything else you would like me to try, please let me know. If this seems to be a problem with the RAM, please provide me the necessary information to start an RMA for these modules. Again, thank you for your assistance in this matter and any further help will be appreciated.

Memtest86noerror.thumb.jpg.e402964ab729d014e10e90fbafce815b.jpg

Archived