Corsair Community

HX520W - Mouse Squeal, Buzz and Tick...

Liquid Cool

Hello Folks...

My favorite little PSU has been acting up lately. Thought I'd ask some suggestions to try before I inquire about an RMA. I own a half dozen Corsair PSU's and besides one broken s-ata power connector, I haven't had any functional or mechanical problems with any of the units I own.

This HX520 happens to be my favorite and it's in my own personal system in the office. It's about two years old or so. The fan started ticking a few months back and it's kind of loud, but not unbearable. It used to be dead silent...

Recently a light buzz or humming sound - almost like an electrical buzzing sound has been getting louder and louder over the last couple of months. It seems to get quite a bit louder when I move the mouse around?

I had my assistant move the mouse around on the desk and I stuck my ear down to the back of the power supply and I could hear something in their squealing louder and louder? I also stuck my ear to the motherboard and video card, but didn't hear anything.

I then pulled the unit and replaced it with a new Corsair 400w I'm just about ready to install in my new HTPC. No sound coming out of this at all. These little 400w units are very quiet too...

I've tried the suggestions in Ram Guy's buzzing sound thread. These items in BIOS we're arleady turned off.

Any other ideas I can try? I'm concerned about RMAing this unit. You don't make them anymore? I like what I have and want it to work properly if I can get it going...

Liquid Cool

• 2 weeks later...

Ram Guy...

I'm not sure what's going on with Corsair...are you guys behind on tech support?

I went through the RMA process 11 days ago and my RMA was approved, but I haven't received a mail-in instruction sheet(e-mail). I've sent 4 e-mail inquiries asking what the hold up is...with no responses, so I gave Corsair a call on Wednesday. Spoke to a nice young lady who said I'd receive it within 24 hours. Yet, I still haven't received anything...

I'm not in a big rush or anything, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

Liquid Cool

• Corsair Employee
Can you post your case number? If you submit an RMA request you should have received at least a single email which would have provided your case number. Let me know this number so I can look up your case and see whats going on. It definitely shouldn't take this long to get an RMA.

Archived