Corsair Community

Possible Issue with Dominator Airflow (CORSAIR CMXAF1 FAN)

Hello there. First of all, thank you for your attention...

Basically, about two weeks ago, in order to better cool my brand new Corsair memory sticks ( TW3X4G1600C9D ), I decided to purchase a Dominator Airflow fan (CORSAIR CMXAF1 FAN). The installation went smoothly, as well as the first couple of weeks of use, but all of the sudden, I started to listen this strange kind of hiss coming from my case. Immediately, I assumed it was one of the fans, even though I was unsure which one... I started by stripping the case, one item at a time, in order to be absolutely sure of which device was causing the issue; Now, I'm pretty much sure of it...

I dunno if it's due to the fact that it runs constantly at around 6000rpm, but the bottom fan of the cooler, initially a minor nuisance, has become totally unbearable, up to the point I had to retrieve the the Airflow device from my case, because it was driving me pretty much insane. However, later on that day, I installed it once more and reduced the RPM by 30% and the hiss is pretty much gone and I can hardly tell the difference, when it comes to the temperature of the Northbridge. Now, my question is...

Does this warrant a RMA or is it standart to have the fan running at around 4400-4700rpm? It should be noted that I went back to the store where I purchased in order to get another one and they told me there was nothing they could do, since, for all intents and purposes, the device was working properly.

Anyway, if you read this far, thank you very much for the attention. Cheers! :)

EDIT: I now I have the fan running at 3000rpm, since it's pretty much the only way for not having it "squeal" so to speak... I had it not working for two whole days and it only got worse.

PS - Apologies for posting this last Saturday in the wrong section of the forum.

First of all, thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly, RAM GUY.

However, I went back to the store once more, since I needed a new cooler and I pressed upon the matter, since now it had only gotten worse... The fellow that I met up with this time was far more agreable than the other one and so, I have a brand new Dominator AirFlow right now; So far, so good it's all I can tell... I hope that this one works properly for a long time, before the need of a RMA. Once again, my sincere TKS RAM GUY and sorry for the bother. Cheers! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here I am once more, back at it so to speak... :\

Unfortunately, my replacement unit is now failing on me; Basically, whenever I have the PC turned off for like half a day or something, everytime I start it up, the lower fan not only hisses, but also sounds like a jet plane, getting ready for take off. Turning off the PC or running it at 7V solves the issue, but it's not exactly what I was looking forward to.

In the end, since I really need it ( my NB and SB temps go up like 5 degrees without it ) I ended up purchasing the new triple channel cooling solution, which I had experienced earlier on, but still, I would like to get the original one fixed; Therefore, I ask once again, RAM_GUY...

Does this warrant ( once more ) an RMA once more...?! Just making sure, since not only the replacement unit has the same problem again, but further developed a new one.

Thank you very much for the attention and sorry for my english... It has been a very long day. Cheers! ;)

Ok, I've got the RMA number and stuff, but there's one more issue, not at all related with customer support... Basically, I'm having issues with mail delivery, since I have three to four deliveries gone missing, in less than 3 weeks. My question is:

Am I to submit a new RMA, in order to change the returning adress, once I'm sent the replacement unit or I simply an e-mail to someone...?! I'm sorry for the trouble, but I haven't found any reference to such possibility in a FAQ. Thank you very much and have a nice weekend everyone. ;)

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry I do not understand your question, but I think you want to change the address where we will return the modules to, and if so or if any other issue about shipping or changing an RMA you would need to take that up with our customer service and I would strongly suggest you do it by phone. You can get the contact information from the contacts link on our web site.

Archived