Corsair Community

dead HX750W

mjpaton

Hi all,

Picked up parts and build PC around 13 March, ran fantastically awesome for about a week. Intermittent use, nothing flash, a very small amount of gaming (TF2 and GTA IV), some Lightroom photo editing and general web browsing.

Last night working away it turned off randomly after about 2 hours of being on, refused to turn back on. Tested re-seating RAM/Graphics card, same issues persisted. Exact issue was power light on case would turn on for a split second, case, psu and cpu fans would rotate about a half rotation before power would be lost and system would turn off. Unable to replicate this until disconnecting from mains power and reconnecting.

Bench tested this evening, same issues persist. Started disconnecting parts, got down to just mobo connected to PSU and same symptoms the entire way through. Was testing via shorting the power connectors on the mobo.

Tested the PSU with nothing else connected to it via paperclip to 13th and 14th socket of mobo power connector, PSU fan spins for a half rotation before powering off. Put some case fans on via a molex connector, same symptoms for the case fans as PSU fan.

Suspecting it is a dodgy PSU - very disappointing but reading through forums does not sound uncommon. Unable to wait for the RMA to come through so have ordered a TX750 to get me through while the HX750 is RMA'd, no harm in having a spare just in case the issue recurs...

RMA case number just opened: 1411249 .

Any other suggestions for what I could test/try? I have no PSU tester, just moved over to the States, have ordered one as well, handy tools to have!

Regards,

Matt

• Corsair Employee
Looks like the RMA has been approved. From what you describe it looks like the PSU is misbehaving and will need to be replaced. Keep in mind that on a support forum you are bound to see more people who are having problems than people posting to let us know their PSU is working, so what may seem common, is actually very rare compared to the amount of units that we are shipping every month. Let us know if you have any problems with the replacement!

Yeah fair point Ram Guy - I guess my main disappointment was that after about 15 years building PCs I've never had a PSU fail so suddenly after only 20 hours of use over about a fortnight of very minimal use.

We'll see, I'm a fan of Corsair and have used Corsair parts previously, happy to believe it is a one off, hence the purchase of the TX750. With both the TX and HX750 now, we'll see...

Matt

Ok just got home ... tested HX750 on PSU tester, no dice.

Tested brand new TX750 that arrived today, tested fine on PSU tester. Plugged in to system and am now replying from original PC with TX750.

Will be RMAing HX750 and hoping the replacement works well. Definitely prefer the modular design for cable management.

Matt

• Corsair Employee
I'm going through the exact same symptoms... is this an RMA-only solution???

If possible I would test the PSU in a different system to be sure that the problem follows the PSU. If so, then an RMA may be the only way to resolve the problem.

Archived