Corsair Community

Could this be my new PSU? Or is my Mobo to blame?

moonkat

Sata drives not spinning up…

Please help, I’m about to cry like a small child! I have just purchased and assembled the system. My problem is none of the SATA drives are spinning up. I’ll set the scene…

Got all the parts delivered, read ALL the manuals and assembled the items in a textbook manner. (i.e, static band, mat, geeky tool set, coffee and quiet). 5 hours later fired her up with no problems. Installed my legal XP home, did system updates, installed WoW and played for a few hours happy as a pig in poo. Restarted my machine next morning…..nothing…..

After much testing, reading forums about XP drivers, changing the mobo battery, putting BIOS into raid mode then putting it back, swapping cables, pulling/pushing more cables. Even trying the drive in another machine (too which the SATA fired up instantly), and then doing the paper clip test on the PSU (my case fan fired up solo no probs, but still no SATA activity. Checking the RED and BLACK terminals on one of the SATA cables with a multimeter shows a 4.5v DC output.

So I’m sitting here on the verge for madness, and you guys and gals might have some answers.

Thanks in advance all,

Moonkat.

• Corsair Employee
The 5v rail should remain between 4.75v and 5.25v so it looks like it may be out of spec. I would test another 5v lead or two and see if your readings are consistent and if they are, then lets get the unit replaced. You can use the "Request an RMA" link on the left side of this page.

Thanks for the quick reply Ram Guy.

I fired her up very early this morning and the drive was there!! Spinning happily and my XP loaded fine... Tried again just before work..and nothing again. Very random : |

I have brought the PSU to work today to use a digital multimeter...

All rails are sitting perfectly at 5.05v without fluctuation. I tested the SATA and the normal power cables.

Is there anything else I can do for testing? I have pretty much trolled most of the forums and googled like a no-lifer -.-

Regards,

moonkat.

Black being ground of course...

IDE rails:-

Black + Red = 5.05v

Black + Yellow = 8.98v

SATA rails:-

Black + Red = 5.05v

Black + Yellow = 8.99v

Black + Orange = 3.40v

Based on the manual I am meant to have 5v, 3.3v, and 12v. Does this mean that I am not getting the 12v to spin up the drive?

Thanks,

Moonkat.

P.S This is my second build ever my days to return a product is counting down so please assist asap.

Ok, I have contacted eBuyer where I bought all the parts and they have actioned an RMA = ) The defect PSU is being picked up today and they will replace asap.

Great stuff, thanks =)

Regards,

Moonkat.

Hi Ram Guy,

Yes I will let you know. Ebuyer Techies will test the rails before a new shipment can be dispatched. If for some reason they disagree with my multimeter findings, I'll get it returned directly to you guys =)

Thanks again for your support,

Moonkat.

Archived