Corsair Community

Win 7 RAID Issues

Yodarama

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All,

I installed a new MB this afternoon. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5. After power up, one of the 4 X series drives was not recognized. I deleted the previous RAID 0, and configured the four drives again in RAID 0. Win 7 install was smooth and completed OK.

Tomorrow will be the test when I try a cold boot :( Fingers are crossed!

V/r

All,

This is frustrating me beyond silly! I still have the same problem after a cold boot!!!! I do not have concerns regarding Motherboards, Cables, Power Connectors etc. Unfortunately, the SSDs are in the lead for the cause of the problem.

The only thing I have not tried is swapping video cards!!

Thoughts????

V/r

RAM Guy,

Good afternoon. I have swapped out the drives with new ones (I have enough spares), and the same cold boot issues. The new MB, SATA cables, power connectors, and OS did not make a difference. The symptom is the same: when booted after sitting overnight the system will not recognize the drive/s. The case drive light is on solid until the RAID splash screen. Under normal circumstances, the case drive light will blink once and the computer will boot. I have tried removing the sound card and disconnecting the two DVD drives. There are two remaining possibilities (Video Card, and Case) The Dell 730 is supposed to be ugrade compatible (true so far as the MB was a snap to install) but has some proprietary items like the case LED illumination etc.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

V/r

All,

Some good news related to the problem. I can get the system to boot reliably by turning the power on and then a quick power off and on. Weird, not optimal...but I can at least turn the system on and not have to reset (ctrl, alt, delete) and play the lottery :)

V/r

RAM Guy,

Yes, I have moved the drives and the problem does not follow the drive. If a drive is not recognized, it is random. I have also replaced the drive/s in question and still have the same results. Initially, I had a single drive installed, replaced the drive, no change in symptoms. I then decided to use the drives in RAID 0, same results.

V/r

• Corsair Employee
That would suggest it is not the drives, what about the power to the drives are they on their own power directly from the PSU? Or is it shared with another drive or CD/DVD? And have you spoke to Dell for any suggestions and or updates?

RAM Guy,

Now I am a little irritated! First, I did not hijack this thread! You replied to both of us! If you read the thread...I suggested to Enthusiast to look at my thread as well. I did not post any info from my thread until you implied I would be banned.

As for why I would install 1, 2, and/or 4 drives is simple...the drives were replaced with brand spanking new drives, fresh out of the box! (Read the thread) So...I should conclude the drives were/are good. If not...Corsair has a real QA problem. Your thoughts?

I have noticed you do not seem to read the entire thread, or the fact may be you are swamped...back to the QA comment. Wrt Dell, their system works fine...except with Corsair X series drives. For comparison, I installed two of your competitors drives, first in stand alone, and then in RAID 0. Funny thing...they work!

Enthusiast...I sincerely apologize if I hijacked your thread, there was no harm intended.

RAM Guy,

I think it is safe to say...we are done. If you read the threads in their entirety, you may stop asking the same questions. You may also see I posted a response in Enthusiast's thread to your blatant claims of Hijacking!

V/r

• Corsair Employee

I have moved your posts to your thread and I am sorry that was not the intent.

We need to focus on your issue so we can help you get it resolved.

And I will be happy to call you, do you have the case number?

RAM Guy,

I did have a case number, but I cancelled the RMA. I do believe Corsair chose not to cancel the RMA just in case I needed to use it. (Much appreciated!!)

If you have time tomorrow...give me a call via the number I provided (last 4 = 0100).

V/r

• Corsair Employee

That is not the case number I had 1378609 and the last 4 of the phone number is 4511; is that you?

Edit: I called and left a message at the phone number on your RMA request it sounded like your home number and when you call just ask for Ram Guy 800-205-7657. But it would be best to call when you are in front of your system.

RAM Guy,

The RMA info contains my personal address. The e-mail I sent to you via TSXpress last night contained my work info and number. During the week I spend little amounts of time on the home computer. I'll try and call tonight, if not I will call tomorrow.

V/r

Hi,

I have the same identical problem here with 3 x X256 set to RAID0 with the onboard RAID controller of an ASUS P6TD Deluxe.

After a night-long rest my system locks on detecting SATA1 (sometimes SATA2) disk (Corsair X256)... The CTRL-ALT-DEL sequence does nothing, sometimes the power-off then on helps, but the only way I have to boot in those situations is to disconnect and then reconnect the ATX cable from the MB.

Once started the system is stable, quite fast, and can be always rebooted with no issue.

I'm sure everything is fine in the system because it works perfectly with 3 WD Raptor 150 (same RAID0 configuration, no other changes) wich require much more power (nevertheless PSU is a 2x1000 redundant)

The 3 Corsair X256 are new as Corsair swapped them with an RMA and they show 2.1 firmware revision... I'm pretty sure that THIS PROBLEM WASN'T PRESENT WITH OLD SSDs... Sadly after 20 days working well one of those disappeared from POST and from then never showed up in BIOS... So I applied for an RMA for the three (they were from the same batch).

I tried everything (swapping SSD SATA ports, disconnecting everything but the SSDs, replacing Mb with a new one (same model, last BIOS), removing one of the two SLI Video Card (Asus nvidia 295gtx), powering the SSD with a primary and isolated (no other devices connected to it) power line... But no solution!

Any suggestion??

Ambrogio Calcaterra

Milano - Italy

>>> Some good news related to the problem. I can get the system to boot reliably by turning the power on and then a quick power off and on...

I found a similar trick. Switching power off (4 sec press on pwr) during a cold boot, just after POST had locked itself trying to detect SSD, and then powering on again makes my system detect all the three X256...

Weird :-(

Ambrogio Calcaterra

• Corsair Employee

sexinxs

That work around seems to be the way to get around this issue, we are looking into the problem but its not known if its a MB BIOS issue or something with the drive. At this point.

EDIT Also please tell me the drive you have and the firmware version you have installed and if possible the lot code off of the drive's label.

EDIT Also please tell me the drive you have and the firmware version you have installed and if possible the lot code off of the drive's label.

I have 3 x CMFSSD-256D1 in RAID0 and they show firmware revision 2.1.

As I wrote some posts ago those 3 are brand new swapped drives: I sent back with an RMA my old ones because of "disappearing from BIOS" problem and Corsair exchanged them with those with last firmware.

From then no more "disappearing from BIOS" problem, but now my system presents the issue we're talking about...

Lot codes: 10030196-1312019, 10030196-1312020 and 10030196-1312072

Ambrogio

Ram Guy,

Thanks for the phone call and the help last week. I ordered the new RAID card and I should get it tomorrow.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to start a thread on the X256 Series and the Intel RAID controller chipset (IMSM) sucess/failure.

I think it would be beneficial to exchange ideas and possible solutions.

Your Thoughts?

V/r

Archived