Corsair Community

X-128 format problem

mdswish

Ok, here's the deal.... I had everything setup and working with my SSD and Windows 7. Everything was running great until I tried to OC my rig. During the process of trying to find my max OC, of course I got a few crashes and blue screens. This was to be expected, and I didn't think much of it at the time. I reached my max OC of 4.2GHz and then reset everything back to defaults for my permanent running setup. Once I did this I started getting random freezing and crashes in game. Any game really. Windows by itself ran fine. I tried reinstalling drivers and such to get the crashes to stop but didn't have any luck. So, I decided to do a clean install of Windows. I popped my disk in and restarted, then when I went to select my X-128 drive Windows said it could not format the disk. I thought that was kind of odd, but I thought maybe I just had to use the HDDErase program instead of format. So I loaded up HDDErase v4.0 and erased the drive. I was suprised how long it took - less than 3 seconds. Then tried to reinstall Windows again and was again met with failure. I've tried everything to get this thing to work. I've tried setting it to IDE mode, Raid, AHCI. I reinstalled windows on another drive and tried to partition and format it through disk manager. It gets 100% complete then says unable to format. I'm out of ideas folks. Normally I'm like a dog with a bone with problems like this, but SSD issues are new to me. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any help.

This *might* work, but then again it might not - can but try it MD.

Power down your computer completely and disconnect from mains - remove SSD drive from main board and power supply ... just pull out the cables on the SSD. Remove your motherboard battery and leave everything alone for about 30 minutes. Replace the MB battery (now would be a good time to replace it if its been in for a while) and reconnect the SSD ... power up and go straight into BIOS and reset to defaults, reboot and see what happens.

Don't know what happened, but I shut down my PC last night. Got up this morning and lo and behold my SSD was working. It showed the partition, said it was formatted and ready to go. I transfered a couple files to and from it just to make sure and viola! Did a clean install of Win 7 X64 and now I'm typing this. What a weird ordeal. And this is after dozens of restarts and BIOS resets before. Oh well. Long as it works I guess..... Thanks for the advice folks!

Archived