Corsair Community

x128 SSD and BSOD

nitroburn

I've tried to search but I have not found the same problem I am having.

I just got a new system built, but after about 3 days of idling, it crashes with a BSOD and shows a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION stop error 0x0...09c. When I reboot, the machine has trashed many of the files on the hard drive, especially system files.

First time it happened, I rebooted from the BSOD and got the message about checking the hard disk. When it did this, it said it found a ton of orphaned files on the SSD and it "recovered" them. Many appeared to be system files. After this finished, the system started to boot windows but would only ever go as far as a black screen with a mouse cursor (even in safe mode). At this point, I packed up the system and returned it to NCIX. I left it there for a few days over which they ran various hardware stressing utilities to try and find the fault, none was found. They reinstalled Windows and hoped it was a one time thing (or maybe caused by my installing of the gigabyte MB utility).

Got the system back, set it up, everything was normal again. Only installed Windows Live, Steam and didn't even enter the BIOS. I used the system maybe for all of 2-3 hours max over the next 3 days. This morning, I woke up and the girlfriend told me it blue screened again. I went in, rebooted the system and this time it didn't do the hard drive check (chkdsk style), but did boot up to the Windows Recovery thing that attempts to automatically repair the OS. It failed.

I've yet again returned the system to be checked, but thought I would do what I could to see if there are any known issues. My hardware should be in my profile and many parts are Corsair (case, ram, psu, ssd). The other parts are giga-byte for the MB, BFG Tech for the dual GTX285s and Intel for the CPU.

My apologies if this is the wrong forum, the problem is not known, but I wonder why the SSD would constantly drop files after a BSOD so I posted it in this forum. I've BSOD with normal platter drives before (even in raid) and never had an issue of losing a file. Do SSDs often lose contents after a crash? Really maddening as this is the second computer with "top of the line"/"early adopter" parts that has failed me. Last time it was bad Corsair ram.

-edit-

should add, the system is 100% stock, as I said, I didn't even enter the bios the last time, but the time before that I did and everything it AUTO.

I would suspect some settings on your system BIOS may be causing that, can you test the SSD Drive in another MB or system? And or test a spinning HDD on this system?

Hi RAM GUY, thanks for replying. The system is currently back at the shop and when I spoke to them today, they have determined the issue must be with the X128 SSD. What the actual issue with the drive is, they are unsure. I am unable to test the drive as they have the system. Tomorrow they are going to replace the X128 with another one to see if that solves the problem as nothing else has worked.

There is also a platter drive in the system and it is unaffected after the blue screen (I had moved page files, temp files to the drive and they didn't get harmed in the BSOD, just the active files on the SSD). I would hope this isn't just a bug or setting as that means I still wont have a working system :( Are there known issues with the Giga-byte BIOS not working properly with SSDs? (X58 + ICH10R Chipset)

BIOS settings were AUTO when I checked. Not sure on the Drive settings, but I'd assume they looked at this while testing the drives.

I do have the box for the drive here if there is any info on it that would help.

Had the same problem, since I "fixed" it I've had 2 BSODs both due to bad codecs, not the drive or the RAID controller. Check out the fix here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82656

The problem doesn't seem to be the same in that post. It mentions RAID drivers. It also doesn't mention what sort of BSOD occurred or consistently losing files after the BSOD.

Windows 7 doesn't automatically install the intel matrix storage controller when you only have one SSD, does it?

Windows doesn't, but the controller is still needed to be recognized and you should load the drivers for it. Just remember not to load the Intel Matrix software. I believe, but can't confirm, that it was the same BSOD error as you are having and I was losing random files afterwards, especially internet cache files, I just never posted about it because I thought it was due to some of the tweaks I performed and not so much the SSD or OS's fault.

I would use AHCI when using a SSD. =)

I will then set it up to use it :D

Fingers crossed there isn't another drive dump in 3 days.

What driver should I use on Windows 7 x64 /w Intel® ICH10R to ensure reliable AHCI support? I know if I just turn it on, windows will bluescreen on boot.

I will then set it up to use it :D

Fingers crossed there isn't another drive dump in 3 days.

What driver should I use on Windows 7 x64 /w Intel® ICH10R to ensure reliable AHCI support? I know if I just turn it on, windows will bluescreen on boot.

I know said to not use the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager, but that is the only driver I see for AHCI. Should Windows not bluescreen when I enable AHCI?

If you enabled AHCI in your bios and you can boot into Windows then AHCI will be working, otherwise you would BSOD :-)

There should also be a remove hardware icon in your system tray next your clock - if you click that and all your drives are listed then AHCI is working.

If you enabled AHCI in your bios and you can boot into Windows then AHCI will be working, otherwise you would BSOD :-)

There should also be a remove hardware icon in your system tray next your clock - if you click that and all your drives are listed then AHCI is working.

There are two separate settings to enable AHCI. One is for the ICH10R based SATA and the other for the Gigabyte SATA chip (JMB322). I guess I turned on AHCI for the JMB322 which is currently unused in my system.

So the question is, what should I install to support AHCI in windows 7 x64 on the ICH10R chipset. :D

Looks like I need a driver I can install after the fact as Windows is already installed. Every time I turn on AHCI now, I get a BSOD when windows tries to boot.

I take it I should still not install the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager v8.​9.​0.​1023

Guess I may have to wait until Intel/Gigabyte releases a new driver.

OK if you have a dual AHCI setup and you inadvertently installed in IDE mode when you switch to AHCI in your bios you will always get a BSOD - however, all is not lost; a simple registry tweak should sort you out as shown below:

Just Modify the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci\Start

Set the Value = 0

Reboot .. change BIOS to AHCI .. Save & Reboot ..

Original value was ? Make a note of this in case you need to switch back.

Updated the AHCI driver using the Intel_RAID file from eVGA's website (even though I have a gigabyte MB).

Benchmark is faster the the last time:

AHCI on x58 with Windows 7 Default Drivers:

Max: 191284 WRITE & 272800 READ

AHCI on x58 with Intel updated drivers for Windows 7:

Max: 200324 WRITE & 273913 READ

THANKS TO Davyc FOR THE REGISTRY SOLUTION!

--EDIT--

Should note, this is NOT WHAT SOLVED MY BSOD!!! What solved my BSOD was getting a new drive.

ssdbenchahciW7intel.png.7710c85148b33aee1fb2d90b51d55ea5.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would update/finish the thread with the fact replacing the SSD fixed my issues. Something was very wrong with the first drive I got even though it consistently tested fine via standard HDD testing apps. If I had known SSDs were this hit and miss, I might have waited. A little disappointed, but happy it has all been resolved now.

No one else seemed to have the same problem of a constant 0x00...09c STOP ERROR on their BSOD, but this no longer happens after the shop gave me a new SSD. (NOTHING else was different, just the Solid State Drive X128)

(only bringing this back up because I see the thread is now showing in google for the various search terms I first used related to an SSD and a 9C Stop error)

( P.S. Configuring AHCI after a Windows 7 install was only possible after changing the registry settings (refer back to previous posts in this thread). If you came to this thread because of that, please read through and you will find the solution that worked for me ONLY in regards to enabling AHCI. )

I had a very similar problem.

I did not get the blue screen, but one morning it decided not to boot.

tried repair, and it found many (mostly system) files (like the fat was corrupt)

Just as explained by the OP.

I have removed the drive and reinstalled win7 on one of my attached HD's and have had no problems since

I was going to try the ssd again when I upgraded my system, but after reading this it appears that I may have a faulty SSD.

Is there any way to confirm that the SSD is ok before replacing it?

Thanks

Hi guys,

Same problem for me . I have 2 ssd 128x. The first one is dead after 2 days.

I tried the drive in 3 different machines. It's confirm there is a problem with this drive. It's no longer rescognize everywhere.

Now i am installing windows 7 64 bit again on my second x128 drive and see how long he will survive. The chrono is on.

Archived