jackbrennan2008

Hi all,

Ok here was my initial setup.

HDD HUB:

Slot 1 = HDD

Slot 2 = HDD

Slot 3 = HDD

Slot 4 = Empty

Now when i boot the pc the bios only detect slots 2 and 3. Slot 1 is undetected!

OK now i swap things around a bit (Using the same sata and power cables) to look like this:

Slot 1 = Empty

Slot 2 = HDD

Slot 3 = HDD

Slot 4 = HDD

Now the PC boots and the bios can see all 3 drives.

But the odd thing is that if i boot the pc with this configuration

Slot 1 = HDD

Slot 2 = Empty

Slot 3 = Empty

Slot 4 = Empty

The drive is detected and works as it should.

Very strange, maybe there is some sort of conflict between slot 1 and the rest of them? Very strange indeed.

I must point out though apart from this small 'Bug' the corsair 800D is by far the best case i have personally ever worked with. So a big thumbs up. And you will get another if we can figure out why slot 1 doesnt play well with the other 3 HDD slots!

Thank you

Jack

PS. Here was a privious thread i wrote at PCper today where we tried to sort out the problem:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=4414917#post4414917

• Corsair Employee

The problem has to be one of a few things:

1. Could be the SATA data or power cable which connects to the backplane in slot 1.

2. Could be the backplane itself.

3. Could be the SATA port on the MB.

4. Could be the drive itself.

I would try a few different configurations and see if you can narrow it down, and if it looks like its the backplane or the cables we should be able to replace them for you.

Well to eleminate 3 birds with one stone i connected up the HDD's directly to the motherboard. I used the 4 in 1 power connector as well as the same sata cables. The pc booted and all 3 HDD's were detected. I installed windows 7 and was as happy as larry.

So i can safely say its not the mother board or the sata data/power cables. That rules out possibility 1 and 3 as well as 4.

That leaves possibility 2. Which would lead me to presume that only slot 1 has a defect. Is there anyway to know if it's the connectors that connect directly to the HDD or the connectors that are in the back which i connect the sata and power cables too?

What we know so far:

1. Sata data and power cables work.

2. All HDD's work, i now have windows 7 installed and all 3 HDD's work as intended setup up like this in the HDD hub.

Slot 1 = Empty

Slot 2 = HDD

Slot 3 = HDD

Slot 4 = HDD

3. Motherboard sata ports are not to blame.

There has to be some sort of fault with the first slot in the hot swap bay, im sure of it!

Jack.

• 1 year later...

Archived