Corsair Community

Will the H50 work for me?

Nemesis Undying

I'm planning on building a new rig, and given the case I intend to buy, I'm having trouble finding a good solution to cooling. I can't use all of the big end mainstream coolers everyone is gloating about, but was curious if this one would work, and if it would be my best choice. Here is the case and motherboard I plan to use, and I am going to be using an i7 920 D0.

Antec Fusion Remote Black

Asus Rampage II GENE

I was wondering if I would be able to replace one of the 2 120mm fans at the side of the case using the H50 without the radiator bumping into any of the motherboard components, but also if using the H50 would be a better solution than the sub 110mm air cooling solutions out there.

Thank you for all your help.

• Corsair Employee
As long as you have room to mount the equivalent of 2 120mm fans on top of each other, then you should have enough room for the H50. In some cases people who are short of space have mounted the fan outside the case blowing in through a vent in the case through the radiator.

That's what I'm worried about. I don't have the parts and when I'm ready to buy them I'll have to buy everything at once. I won't get an option of waiting to see after I can put the mobo in the case, which is why I need to find someone with the case that might have some info on if it will fit. Do you think it would be the best solution as opposed to the low profile heatsinks on the market if it does fit?

- From what I can see the H50 does at least as well as the top end air coolers on the market and there's no way I will be able to fit anything close to those in my case, so I think this is the best solution given I can find someone who could confirm that it would be able to fit.

I can't find another HTPC case with 120mm fans that isn't horrible for one reason or another. I did find a that a company named after a harvesting tool or more widely known, weapon of the grim reaper, makes 12mm wide 120mm fans. Do you think that there would be enough clearance with those, or do you think they would even work with the radiator at all?

I think you should look at the install pictures that others have posted here regarding the H50. It will give you a good idea of how deep and how tall the H50 is when installed to a 120mm fan outlet. Think of it this way, the H50 is no wider than a 120mm fan, but it is a good 20mm taller in one the aspect where the tubes come into the chamber for the radiator - this will depend on orientation. But even if you place it horizonatally in this case, it looks like the CD drives may be in the way in one orientation and the side of the back of the case will be in the way using the other orientation. It doesn't look like there is way to install it vertically in this case. :[pouts:

I see your point. I figured if nothing else I could install it horizontally like.

[X] [X] (fans)

{X}) (radiator with tube orientation on the right)

{X})X] partially covering part of the right fan with the tube porting being effectively centered where the fans meet.

The Bluray goes in the bottom chamber in the picture in front of the PSU, the cage you see there is the HDD cage. If all else fails I could remove that. The HDD's I plan to use in the case are going to be 4 SSD's in raid, but being they have no moving parts they can be mounted pretty much anywhere in the case with something as simple as double stick tape from what I hear. I could always stick all 4 of them in the space under the DVD rom in the bottom chamber, 2 of the sitting side by side won't be as wide as the 5.25 drive and I could stack the SSD's 2 wide and two deep for my raid cluster under there quite neatly I think.

Would either of those options work you think?

I mean the GPU will be doing it's own exhaust out of the case, so all that the case can would be doing if the H50 is in there, would be moving air around for the mobo. The HDD's are going to be SSD's so they won't be making much heat. I figure even if I have to block a little of the second fan, that it wouldn't cut down the airflow in the case enough to do any harm.

Archived