Corsair Community

Memory Module Died Today

gogo

Hello,

today my PC would not boot any more. It either started beeping three times in a row or got stuck upon showing the amount of memory & timings before Windows takes over. So I tried the usual stuff - removing parts until my machine would boot again. Which left me with a obviously faulty stick of CM2X2048-8500C5D. My PC runs finely with the remaining three sticks of them - inserting this fourth one in any of my 4 memory banks will leave me with a non-booting system. I even tried inserting a fourth 1 Gig memory stick I have left from my previous PC, no problem there, all four banks work correctly even with 7 Gigs of RAM. My PC has sometimes shown erroneous behaviour in the previous weeks - not waking up from standby mode, sometimes showing only 6 Gigs of RAM instead of 8 -so I think this is the end of a memory module. I`d like to RMA this piece of memory, I have never overclocked my memory, it`s set to 2,1 Volts.

• Corsair Employee

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And I am sorry but they can only be replaced as a set, how did you purchase the modules?

Hello,

my PC runs perfectly with 4 Gigs of RAM. I cannot test the module as the PC doe not boot with it inserted. I will RMA it today. I`ll send you 2 modules, I bought them in Austria from a local retailer. Do you need a copy of the invoice?

G

Archived