Corsair Community

One bad TWINX1024-3200C2 (?)

zellerli

Hello,

I need help. I think I have a bad part. A few days ago I played Warcraft 3 when my PC suddenly crashed (rebooted). Afterwards, it was not possible to access Windows correctly (some system restore errors, etc.), it mostly crashed even before showing the log-on screen.

I thought the crash during the game was a "normal" software crash without hardware being the reason, but with some data loss. So I checked my Windows setup for errors (tried to repair it, to boot in save mode, etc.). It didn't work. Even reinstalling Windows wasn't possible as i got many errors.

A friend of mine told me that this kind of error could also be caused by a RAM damage. Therefore I enabled the RAM test in BIOS and got the return "memory error".

I replaced both modules by two others (I think it was 2x TwinX 512mb 3200c2 or something like that) and my PC worked all correctly again! No more errors since the replacement.

I already had a warranty issue concerning exactly these two RAM modules about 2 years ago (thank you by the way, the new modules worked fine until last weekend). So I remembered the RAM guy forum (this is my old post: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=57676 ) and read my old thread, following the instructions.

I am still using the same system. It is an ASUS A8N SLI Premium Motherboard.

And i am still from Germany (sorry for my bad English by the way).

What have I done until now:

I set BIOS on 2.75 voltage, 2-3-3-6 timings.

I checked both modules using the Memtest 86+, I run the test twice:

One module was OK in the first run, but had 3 errors in the second run (test #2), the other one had about 1.2 million errors in each of both runs.

What shall I do next?

Thank you.

I am still looking for the reason why the module became defect (as I said: it is the second time happening to this system).

I have built 5 or 6 systems (for my brother, friends, neighbours), always using Corsair memory (and I am going to use it in the future when I build a system).

None of the PCs, except this one (which is my own), has ever had problems with RAM.

But this one now had its second defect RAM issue. Perhaps it is just misfortune, but I can imagine two aspects this system differs from others:

1) The computer case is rather dusty (more than others, the fans just carry too much dust in and too less out). Maybe some dust reached the module contacts? I regularly reduce the dust in the case carefully using a small vacuum cleaner.

2) About 1 or 2 times a year the computer is radically turned off by a power blackout in the whole house (blown fuse). Can that damage RAM modules?

I don't find any further differences between this PC and other PCs I have built. If one of the things above is a typical reason for defect modules, just tell me (I am just guessing, I cannot imagine other causes).

Maybe the PC's setup is a typical RAM killer? ;)

Otherwise I think it was just "bad luck" it happened twice to this system.

• Corsair Employee
IF it happens again I wold get the MB replaced but it is really hard to say what caused them to fail with out seeing the memory and system. However, memory does not normally fail that way and as I said if it does happen again I would suspect the MB or PSU may be causing the memory to fail.

Archived