Corsair Community

Memory Recommendation for i5 System

TomGu

I am ready to order the following parts for an i5-based system to be used mostly for creating large (100+ slide) presentations along with some video editing for insertion into the presentations. Secondary use of the system is business application multitasking.

Intel i5 Processor

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P Motherboard

Corsair CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 Memory

Two EVGA GTS250 1GB Graphics Cards

Two W/D Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Disks

Plextor PX-880SA DVD Burner

Ante* 900 Case

Corsair TX850W Power Supply

Four 22" HI-DEF Widescreen Monitors

Planar 997-5602-000 Black Quad Monitor Stand

Keyboard/Mouse

The Corsair Memory Configurator suggests CMX8GX3M4A1600C9.

I do plan to overclock this system (seeking 4 Ghz) so would it be advantageous to use CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 to improve my chances of a successful overclock?

Secondly, since the second PCIe slot on the GA-P55-UD4P only supports 8x, would a pair of less expensive video cards (such as the EVGA 9500GT), be satisfactory for the intended usage as stated above (and create less heat than two GTS250's)?

Thank you.

I ordered the CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 and would appreciate comments on anyone who has used a Zalman CNPS10X or Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 cooler with the CMD8GX3M4A1600C8. Wondering if either or both coolers will clear the heat spreaders / fan housing on the CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 in a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P motherboard? Thanks in advance. Tom

Before I open the boxes and assemble the parts, would there be a noticeable improvement if I exchanged the i5 750 for an i7 860 and left all other components the same? In other words, would the i7's hyperthreading have a significant impact on the intended use (see my first post above) and be worth the extra $70.00 that Micro Center wants between the i5 750 and the i7 860? Thank you.

• Corsair Employee

Tom

I am not the right person for that, maybe some of the other users have played with them and can give you a better answer. However, I would look at the reviews for both CPU's and maybe check at overclockers.com to see how well they both have done and decide from there.

Have now installed ithe 5 processor, Noctua NH-U12P-SE2, and CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 kit into the Gigabyte P55-UD4P motherboard. Had to offset the "push fan" on the Noctua upwards 1/2" to clear the heatsinks on top of the Dominator modules. Width of the Noctua "push fan" is such that it covers the first Dominator module and forces mounting of the Dominator fan shroud "off center" with the fan shroud anchors grasping the ram retention clips of only the two outermost modules. Is this an acceptable configuration or would it just be better to leave off the fan shroud and depend on the Antec 900 case cooling (7 fans not counting the Noctuas) to cool the memory modules? Thank you. Tom

Assembly of our new system is complete. Core components are an Intel i5 processor, Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 CPU cooler, Gigabyte P55-UD4P motherboard, 8GB kit of Corsair Dominator memory CMD8GX3M4A1600C8, two EVGA 250 GTS graphics cards (not configured for SLI), and a Corsair TX850W power supply. I am seeking to overclock this configuration to 4Ghz but am a relative newbie (this is my second overclocked system), so I am asking for assistance with the processor / memory frequency and voltage settings. A base clock of 200 Mhz with a cpu multiplier of 20 would reach the 4Ghz level but I am unsure about the voltage. How much do I increment the CPU Vcore above the stock setting as I begin to test? Do I also need to increment the QPI/Vtt voltage? Is yes, how much? Concerning the memory, it seems using the 10X multiplier would be correct for the 4Ghz overclock but I have seen some recommendations to use the 8x multiplier and run the memory at 1600 Mhz. Which is best? The comments I have read on memory voltage seem to agree on a maximum of 1.65 volts per Intel. Is it all right to set the DRAM voltage at 1.65 at the outset or best to increment it and see if the DRAM can meet the system's demands at a voltage less than 1.65? Thanks for reading this and for any helpful comments.

Using the parameters described in the ncix youtube video at

my system is oc'd to 3.7GHz and presently running Prime95. RealTemp is reporting the core temps at approximately 70 degrees which seems high with the Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 and seven other fans in the *ntec 900 case. Would turning off load line calibration and manually setting Vcore help reduce the core temps? Thanks. Tom

I stopped Prime95 after 75 minutes (no errors), checked the bios to see how the Vcore and Dram voltages had been set (1.38125 & 1.584 respectively), turned off load line calibration, set the Vcore to closest available to 1.38125, the Dram to closest available to 1.584, and rebooted. Haven been running Prime 95 for seven hours and RealTemp is reporting the core temps about ten degrees lower than with load line calibration enabled. Seems this is a better configuration to get the same overclock at lower core temperatures.

In trying to move above the 3.7GHz yielded by the NCIX configuration, I either encounter boot failures or Prime95 fails immediately when started. Presently at 200 bclk, 20X CPU multiplier, 1.4 Vcore, 1.3 VTT, 8X memory multiplier, 1.64 Dram voltage. CPU-Z reports the memory frequencies at 10,11,11, & 29. Sure would appreciate some help.

Ramguy -

Appreciate the response. Noctua tech informs me that mid 70's is "to be expected" with the i5 at 4GHz. By adjusting some other values in the bios, P95 finally ran for 24 hrs with no errors and the average temps (taken at thirteen random times during the test) for the four cores was 73.7, 71.5, 69.5, and 70.9. Thanks again. Tom

Archived